Home General Discussion

How do you know when you're finished working on something?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
This is a very important trait to have as a professional artist - knowing when the piece is done and its time to move on. And I'm not talking about when your lead or AD walks by and tells you its great and to move on.

I don't want to taint the discussion with my own opinion early on, so I'll wait a bit before jumping in.

So, when do you - Joe Professional - know when your piece is finished?

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    When I start thinking about it in my sleep... Usually about the time I start thinking I need to add more objects or texture techniques... I know I need to stop because I'm going to overwork it and it will become completely different from what I intended.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Finished? Really?...never....
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I am not a professional artist -- far from it, i'm a wannabe concept artist with no portfolio trying to get into schools.

However, this is my model for finishing work/understanding goals:

http://the99percent.com/videos/5822/seth-godin-quieting-the-lizard-brain
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Piflik thats a lame answer. It's finished at some point.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    When the only way to fix it is to start over :)
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know about joe professional, but joe amateur I always check my work alongside some of the polycount best and see what seperates me from them.

What have they done or included that I havn't, why is theres better then mine?

How can I make this better?

Sometimes I will leave a peace a few days so I get past the thrill of 'wow i finished something' so I have a new set of eyes to analyze and see my mistakes.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    sam's definitely on track for, what I think anyway, is the right answer.
  • samgriffiths
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Well for me, Joe Student, it really depends on the piece. If i'm creating a new scene and trying to come up with a unique style, I'm going to spend a lot of time on it, I'll pick the most important asset for the scene and try tons of different versions until it has a style to it that I really dig, I don't gauge this by my initial vision, i've learned many times things can go in other directions that are better that what you had planned, I weigh speed and quality, it's not always about getting the best looking piece, it's about getting good looking assets that you can produce more of in a reasonable time frame. This piece is going to be my prototype.

From there I use the same techniques and artistic decisions for the other assets. Not all assets should look amazing on their own, I think of the big picture and an asset is "done" when it fits in the scene, adds to it in a positive manner and leaves room for my other planned assets. That is the scene still requires those other assets in terms of color range, composition, etc.

Obviously if i'm working from concept it's done when it looks like the concept and there aren't any texture seams or texel density problems!

Edit: Yeah, i agree with what you guys are saying about checking online, you definitely see where the bar is set checking out pimping and previews. You gotta take that with a grain of salt, it takes years to get that good and as long as you can look back at your work and it's gotten better you can call it "done", how much better than your old work it has to be than your previous to be done is up to you. Trying to rush to the end can actually slow you down, good art is created from the ground up, as they say you can't polish a turd (cept on mythbusters).

If you aim for amazingly bad ass at the start of your artistic career, you'll never finish, I try to pick up new techniques at every phase of creation that'll make me faster and ultimately better, since i can spend more time without getting burned out. Lets not forget that a lot of game art these days is made by many people, you might be judging your work against a guy who does only zbrush scultps for months on end, doesn't UV, doesn't Model, doesn't texture. If you're trying to get your high poly bake as good as that dude's, you'll never be done.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used to create something and be so pumped I would be totally blind to the actualy quality, I would post and then be like what the fuck two days later.

Glad i grew up :P or am growing up..
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ahhh good subject Adam. I'll wait till I get home to type mine up.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't feel like there's a "right" answer for this, because I feel it varies a bit from person to person? I feel like when you look at a piece of yours and cant think of any more details or things to add, when you've thoroughly accomplished building that image that's been in your head for so long. THEN you are done...or close to it
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I get that warm fuzzy feeling inside - but it's probably just me subconsciously realizing I'm hitting the level of quality and art style required for the project.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    I've heard a million times: art is never finished, only abandoned (which definitely holds some truth) but my personal criteria would be when I feel that I can no longer grow from working on a piece. If I've labored on it so long that I'm repeating the same solutions to the same problems, it's probably time to polish it and move on.

Also, by this criteria, I don't have as single finished piece.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    “Art is never finished, only abandoned.”

-Leo

Anyways, on a more serious note.. Art is finished when I reach the goals i set for myself at the thumbnailing stage, the client is happy, and the quality of the piece lives up to my own standards. I don't dwell too long on pieces, since i know that a couple of months from now I'll hate it, and could do a way better job. A couple of years back I'd pick up old pieces and continue working on them, but these days I've realized that its better to start a new piece with my current skillset, and keep whatever it was that was working in the old piece. (color scheme, theme, subject matter, composition etc.)
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    When you can't find crits on it anymore, it's super useful to give it a day or 2 aswell to bring fresh eyes to it.

I remember when I was at uni I got ripped a new one by a professional graphic designer, so bad in fact people told him off for being over critical just because I went down an illustrative root to a poster design. But it really hit home that if people can see flaws in your work then it can really damage the whole piece.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    It depends on whether or not I'm making art for myself or for someone else. If I am making art for the general public then I just simply compare it to what's already out there and try to get an unbiased opinion if I'm unsure. Once I feel confident others will love and provided I don't hate it for some rational reason I move on.

If I am making art for myself then I try to make sure and make the judgment call as to whether to continue or not when I first sit down at my desk in the morning, or at least at some point when I'm not all emotionally invested in it. That way I know I'm getting a good honest answer from myself as to whether I have done the piece justice.

As for an exact metric, well I don't think there is one, because the criteria are numerous vary so much per project.
  • Eltrex06
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i can only comment from a student point of view however, i'm in an accelerated program meaning a normal 17 week ish term is condensed down to only 9 weeks. so i have to deal with this sort of thing all the time. i always try (try being the key word lol) to look at "time vs results"

when you start adding those little things that don't "read well" with the big picture of what your trying to accomplish then your done.

when your at that point, sure adding something else may make it look better, but is it worth the time to do that, is it really gonna impact the overall "feel" of the piece your attempting to create? that's what i try to ask my self. if the answer is no then i finish up and move on to something else... most of the time

unfortunately i cant stop time and work on something for as long as I'd like to... wouldn't that be nice :P
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    Here are some words I was reading last night; Niklas Jansson: http://androidarts.com/thoughts.htm
    Mostly regarding the process, but that's definitely relevant when it comes to completing something.

Nice link SupRore, benefited from watching that. (:

There's a monkey in the jungle watching a vapor trail
    Caught up in the conflict between his brain and his tail

And if time's elimination, then we got nothin' to lose
    Please repeat the message; it's the music that we choose~
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for me, if it reads from a distance the way it is suppose to be seen and understood then that is when I know it is time to move on.

It is common sense that you know you are spending hours on something so tiny and yet unseen from a players/ viewers point of view. You know deep inside that you are wasting time... And I am especially talking about us who are perfectionists in every way or obsessed on the other hand with our work :)

Also the deadline you have for the week REALLY makes a huge factor in terms of the way you organize your time. For example: you have 3 props to finish during this 1 week: sink, screen monitor and a Tricycle. A smart person would start from large objects to the smaller ones, because of what I mentioned above ^
  • sebas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sebas polycounter lvl 14
    I feel it done when... it's at the level I had 'planned' it. When it's what I wanted.
    But honestly, I finish it when the work itself says: 'Don't touch me!'... I meant, when all you add it doesn't make it better.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personal, whenever I feel like calling it finished. Its a labor of love and as long as I love it, I'll work on it. Sometimes its not about the sense of accomplishment you get after the job is done but rather the sense of accomplishment you get while doing it.

Do you enjoy the journey along the way or do you like the sense that you finished something.
    I prefer the journey.

Professionally, when it reaches the tipping point that the time spent polishing could be better spent on something else.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Vig pretty much nailed what I think as well.
    In a professional setting, either that or when my deadline is up, whichever comes first :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    when the deadline comes :)
    Its really hard to give a definite non cloudy answer (other than that one), it just depends on the project and the goals of the asset. We usually get everything to 'good enough' point, and then we polish as much as we can until it's time to ship. At least that way things are consistent and you aren't tempted to make one perfect masterpiece of beauty, in amongst a forest of underworked turds :D
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    If it's personal work then it's normally 'done' when I feel I've learned everything I can from it. With most stuff I do I'm usually trying to improve in some specific area so I try to only work on things for as long as is necessary. It does mean that I don't necessarily generate finished 'portfolio' pieces that often, but I (hopefully) am doing enough of those in my day job.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    perna's thoughts are some what in line with mine (what..the.. fuck..).

Essentially, if what I am doing to the particular piece is no longer adding to its quality or effectiveness as a whole, then it is finished (or I am finished with it). It is up to me, as a 3D artist, to know when that is.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    When it matches the quality of the other assets in the game. Never polish above the rest.
    Plus I dont do 'polish' very well. I dont have the patience. I'd rather smash out something to get it in the game, make it work and then move on. As long as it fits in with the other parts then its good.

In the end its about the game, not the one prop/character you are making to put in it.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Vig wrote: »
    Personal, whenever I feel like calling it finished. Its a labor of love and as long as I love it, I'll work on it. Sometimes its not about the sense of accomplishment you get after the job is done but rather the sense of accomplishment you get while doing it.

Do you enjoy the journey along the way or do you like the sense that you finished something.
    I prefer the journey.

Professionally, when it reaches the tipping point that the time spent polishing could be better spent on something else.

+1 for me.
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    Agree with perna and adam. Knowing the target level for quality is really important. I think a lot of us here have high standards for our work, but depending on budget, project scope, etc., it's not always feasible to meet those standards in professional work. Knowing that you can do 2-3 specific things and get an asset finaled is working smart, not being lazy.

My last project, I was animating on a kids show and we were doing 30-40 seconds a week (60+ in crunch). I realized after a few weeks that the director did not know much about animating and yet his opinion was obviously the final say. Rather than constantly asking for crits from talented co-workers, I showed blocking to the director for approval and then avoided showing my work until it was ready for final. I avoided unnecessary (but high quality) feedback from peers that would have pushed my work further but at an unacceptable loss of time.

It took me a while to accept that I was only getting paid for a certain level of quality; I have high personal standards and "settling" for lesser-quality work was difficult... but knowing the target level saved my sanity (and health), and I always have personal work to scratch that itch for super-polished stuff.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    It's like a quadratic curve. Amount of work needed vs the resulting visual quality. Eventually you get to a point where it's just too much work to get it looking like 1% better, that's when I call it finished.
    like so:

al51kz.jpg

When you improve as an artist the curve changes and you can keep it up for longer, since workflow improvements and experience with problems speeds up things. I still remember when I first started normal baking I could see the benefits, but highpoly modeling and baking everything was just way over my head, now it's not much of a big deal anymore.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Good thread. This is actually something I'm fighting with right now. I have done a character which I think is my personal best. On one hand I really want to keep pushing it to really be my best and present well. On the other hand I am just wasting a lot of time tweaking renders and being indecisive, and I want to move on. I think it's definitely time to move on with this one.

The problem I have run into in the past was not spending enough time polishing, so I've tried not to do that here and gone to the other extreme; where all I've done is waste time. The time I'm wasting is not just time when I am working on it, it's time where I am not working on something else because I still don't think I'm finished. That is the real problem.

This is where I am, and I think from now on I'm going to try to work like this. Not get caught up in nonsense.
    adam wrote:
    Essentially, if what I am doing to the particular piece is no longer adding to its quality or effectiveness as a whole, then it is finished (or I am finished with it). It is up to me, as a 3D artist, to know when that is.
    Vig wrote:
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I stop once i have reached the quality bar for the game. To go further would mean taking longer and causing it to stick out to players unintentionally.
    Nothing bugs me more than art that doesn't fit in with the rest of the game, IE too high res, low res, too high poly, too low poly, too detailed, or not enough detail.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Xoliul wrote: »
    It's like a quadratic curve. Amount of work needed vs the resulting visual quality. Eventually you get to a point where it's just too much work to get it looking like 1% better, that's when I call it finished.
    like so:

al51kz.jpg

When you improve as an artist the curve changes and you can keep it up for longer, since workflow improvements and experience with problems speeds up things. I still remember when I first started normal baking I could see the benefits, but highpoly modeling and baking everything was just way over my head, now it's not much of a big deal anymore.

This sounds exactly right to me, but of course it depends on what its for and if you have to match a certain art style on where you should be stopping.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    aesir wrote: »
    When the only way to fix it is to start over :)

that.
    Or when you run out of time :P

nah, its really up to the individual expectations of what the piece should be imho.