Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tank (3D scene) - Help needed

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
grantthompson polycounter lvl 13
Hi im new to polycount & relativly new to 3d modelling as well :)
This is the first high poly model i have ever done & to be fair the overall production of it wasnt quite as difficult as I thought :thumbup:

The actual model is for a university project in which the assignment is to create a 3D scene, which included an asset with a 10,000 poly limit.

The scene which I am creating being created within Autodesk Maya and is centred around a tank, in which is situated within a war damaged/warzone environment, the buildings & roads etc. will be damaged/collapsed all around, generally reflecting a warzone environment.

I know that I will get slated for the tank which I have created because fo the fact that its not correct in terms of accuracy.. buttt before I do let me just mention that we were not allowed to create something that was within the real world, although it could take attributes of other assets in order for it to look as though it could in fact be real life (it that makes sense :poly142:) In other words like in GTA they always use cars that resemble another car in almost everyway but slap a different name on it and alter a few shapes etc. in order to not get sued or to have to pay for licenses (again if that makes sense lol). For example the model I have created most of the parts are from the M1 Abrams although there are certain areas which stop it from being a complete replica.

Sooooo basically I have almost finished my high poly & here it is (please critique in every possible way.. but remember im relativly new to modelling :)).. The treads and wheels just need completing in order for it to be officially called complete.

icpe77.jpg

2iqolf9.jpg

rsu92o.jpg

2m6uc1t.jpg

s31qn7.jpg

Right now heres my low poly of (9,207) again please critique.. you guys are the professionals so its extremely important what you think about the models.

2eyg784.jpg

qnpog3.jpg

Problem
I have been really struggling with the baking due to the fact that tis my first ever bake. The process in which I am going is by exploding the model, if theres another way which I could go about this could someone please put there idea forward it would be much appreciated, or any settings that work well with Maya. I have been looking over the internet at other tutorials and been trying to follow them but with little luck, the most help ive had so far is one on cgtuts about a NYC subway which is very helpful, but still I am struggling big time. I cant upload the pictures of the bakes I have done so far because they are on the computer at university as soon as I have access to them I will upload them

Replies

• Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's no picture. Get it uploaded so we can critique it :P

Use imageshack.us
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    dropbox is also pretty awesome. You can use it not only for images but sharing all kinds of files. You get 2 gigs... FOR FREE!

www.getdropbox.com

Simply put your images or whatever in there, in the public folder if you want to share 'em. Right click, select the dropbox tab and select copy public link. Great tool for artists who sometimes have to share other types of files or video. The interface is also really nice since uploading something is as simple as dropping something into a folder on your desktop. It logs you in on startup and will sinc you up automatically with files you've updated elsewhere, super handy.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Posting pics, go tinypic :D.
  • grantthompson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grantthompson polycounter lvl 13
    Hi cheers guys for the sites I was wondering how the hell to get pictures on lol
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    One thing I noticed is that the barrel of the cannon is 100% fixed in it's position. There is no way for it to move up and down. Look closely at most references, tank barrels are supposed to be able to move along the vertical axis. Unless your reference has a fixed barrel, then I'm totally dumb. Great work so far though! /impressed.
    Could you perhaps go even further and make your high poly even better? Bring it into zbrush and sculpt some solder lines along the seams of the hull. Would look kickass. Someone here did it already, looks amazing IMO.

As for your baking issues, try bringing that into xNormal. It's what I use. Get it. It's frikkin' free and it's awesome.
  • Diwan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diwan polycounter lvl 13
    Haha I like how you are using same theme as I am with the same tank! :P As far as the tank goes, I'd suggest to get some blueprints and try to replicate as much as possible. I can see some aspects of the Abram in your model but its not spot on. For now it feels like and older blockier version, check out this guy http://www.crymod.com/uploads/mediapool/abrams_050709/pic1.jpg he made an awesome hi poly of the abram. I know you are new to this, but just to give you some ideas and other refs. Good work so far, keep it up!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    If I read correctly, he's not supposed to base his model on a real-life replica. So he purposely didn't make it exactly the same.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    - The track links are way too big.
    - There is no drive sprocket, how do the tracks move?
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmm. i would say that there is is no need to have all those wires in your low poly, they will just be a pain to unwrap and bake and texture, you better off just baking them to a alpha plane with a nrm map, or just baking them into the side of the tank. That is just my 2 cents though.

baking is just a test of patience after yovue done it enough youll have it all worked out and it wont be such a daunting task. Its mainly about methodical preparation to make things go smoothly, and then other times its super super easy. Mayas baking can be frustrating at times, i also recommend xnormal, i use both it and maya but xnormal is really easy, and the ao baking is also much less troublesome than maya's and gives better results