Home General Discussion

APB - Beta

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
Anybody else get in...? *cough* :D Shame I don't think I can take any pics/video but can't wait to try this out :D

Replies

• JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah im in, havent had a chance to play it yet but hopefully soon :)

Whats your impressions so far odium?(or anyone else in!)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Haven't played it, can't find the next time either on the site (because unlike other betas, you have to wait for set times to play oddly, likely the whole MMORPG style servers).

Impressions of what I've "seen" so far look amazing. It looks like Crackdown on, well, Crack. Mostly interested in the create a character system, which is why it sucks I can't go on and do that, offline... There will likely be an hours play time one night, and I'll probably spend most of that doing my character :(

But I can't wait. Crackdown 2 so far looks... Naff. Loved the first sooooo much but 2 just looks more of the same, only with some poor choices made in terms of gameplay. (Reason I bring that up is that RTW made the first Crackdown and passed on 2 to do APB instead).
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just got the email and installed everything. Can't wait to play!
    (Let's all team up our Polycount Group!) :poly136:
  • sicsided
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What you waiting for guys.... get online!

I've been in the Beta for about 6 months or so, (maybe a little less, I can't remember when I got the invite) and it's awesome. I was hyped for it after seeing the trailers but when you actually play the game and realise the game is exactly as it's portrayed in those trailers, it's a very pleasant surprise!

I'm not sure when servers are up, they used to run about 3 nights a week, but then there was a huge break (or a second phase which 1st phase people didn't get to play) then they just started up again with a 48 hour session at the weekend. But yeah they usually list server times on the beta site.

Awesome, awesome game though!
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'm in, I bumped the original thread but never mind.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    I wanna get in :( I've been signed up for what seems like 2 years! booooo
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Any idea when the servers are up again...?
  • silversteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they're supposed to come online today at 4pm pacific. just got in to the beta. can't wait to check it out!
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    How has everyone gotten into beta :-O
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    That can't be the case. I applied within like 2 days of the beta app going up :O Must still be random.... randomly polycounters. lol
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    I got in as well. A friend had a spare account a good while back, but I stopped playing for a while and the account must've been deleted or something, because it kept telling me my username/password was wrong.

Just received an invite, though, so it's all good. :)
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    I got in aswell! awesome! Downloading the 8GB update, will get in when it is finished :)

How is that so many polycounters got in? Do we have a special deal with realtime worlds? hehe
  • GregStrangis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it still possible to get into the beta now??
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    I got in too! Been looking forward to trying this out :)
    The character customization looks amazingly deep.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    wtf... did everyone on polycount get in? *RAGE*
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I signed up like 2 years ago when I applied for a job to Realtime Worlds.
    But sign up anyway, you never know:poly124:
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah same here.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got an email saying I'm part of the 'Focus Group' testing, and in the 'Heavy Hitters' team for some upcoming competitions... exciting stuff!

I'm not sure if this is UK only but servers are apparently up tomorrow (Sat 13th) 6PM to 10PM.

Good to hear some more people got in!
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Aw, I got in the Furious Fighters group, I can't play till sunday. Still awesome to even be in a beta :)
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Furious Fighter too, sunday from 20:00 to 22:00 :)
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Just noticed most people that got in seem to be from Europe... maybe that has something to do with it.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As much as I want to share the awesomeness in the form of pics and video, this is one beta I'm not willing to break the NDA for... I would not want to lose my beta place.

I'll show ya as much Lego Universe as you want though :P
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, just a quick heads up for those playing for the first time. You'll only get character feature customisation (facial, build, skin/hair etc) initially, to change/create clothing, vehicles and accessories, you have to go to the specific terminals in the game world. This wasn't immediately apparent when I first played, that might have changed with the most recent patch though as they added a lot more tutorials.

To get there, choose 'Change District' from the Esc menu and go to the Social District. Then hit up one of the terminals to get into customisation.

I'll prewarn you though, you'll probably spend a LOT of time in there once you find it so if you're in the 2 hour session then maybe best to play the game a bit first, do some missions etc. You'll unlock new items that way too.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I got in and apparently I'm with the Furious Fighters-group. Ill probably be notorious p.i.g as usual.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, I'm actually a little pissed off... Now, this isn't NDA breaking so don't worry, but with regards to the times I just got this email through:

Sunday 14 March 2010 - 2000 GMT – 2200 GMT.

Thats 8pm until 10pm on a SUNDAY, the only time I can play...?

That seems a bit daft. Not only because you know, normal people have to be up early on a Monday and can't be playing games all night, but also how short it is in general. Am I expected in those small short two hours to both setup my game config, sort my controls AND make a character? Something that I can't actually do because theres no offline mode...?

Sounds strange... I'm all for them saying "You can only play on X and Y" but they should at least open the game up in offline mode to not let people play, but let them do basic stuff that is wasting time online... I was hoping to spend 2 hours on making a character ALONE...
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel your frustration Odium, the short playtimes suck a bit but hopefully they'll increase them very soon.

The original live times were like 4 hour sessions on three evenings a week.

Don't worry about spending too much time setting up your prefs though, there isn't a lot to mess with. The graphics settings are currently just resolution and then 'low-medium-high', they took out advanced settings in the most recent patch, temporarily I guess.

Also controls are pretty decent already, the usual movement/action keys with a few for inventory etc.

To be honest, the limited sessions have one huge benefit now the groups have been split and that is presumably reduced server load. The last testing phase suffered absolutely horrible lag. Like really bad, almost to the point it was unplayable. Two hours of lag free play is far better than four of lag problems.

I agree the character customisation would be nice offline, but I think it's because a lot of the content is syncd with the servers for things like user created content and knowing what items you have unlocked etc.

I've probably said far too much already but just enjoy it man, I'm sure play times will get extended very soon.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, defo planning on ejoying it, can't wait. Just seems an odd playtime thats all :p Then again if it was that time on a Fri/Sat people would be going out, so can't win.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to say that today was a lot of fun. I met a few people in-game and not having to press a button to use VOIP is wonderful.

Some drawbacks that I found quickly is...

- Too Too small of a city world for a "to-be" monthly paid subscription based mmo. It takes literally not even a minute (if you don't crash while driving) across the city. 3 minutes just to get around the whole thing.

- missions are limited to like 5 types that you basically do over-and-over again. Not very special.

- Poor customizable UI. It was very difficult to know how to exit menus, and apply changes, or search a certain menu layout. Especially in-game, when you buy a weapon. You have to go through 2 menus, and have to buy ammo for that 'specific' weapon before you can put it in your inventory.

Overall very fun game, but I can see it getting boring VERY fast if this is all they are putting into it. Not even the customization alone will let it live long. Kinda makes me wonder why the play-times are kept so short and servers aren't up very long. Something to be sold with short-sided features.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with your points CrazyMatt, and Im hoping a lot of that will improve over time. I get the impression that they're still a long way off release and wouldn't be at all surprised if we see Q1 2011 release.

The city definitely feels small, and to me, a little generic. If the city was say 5 times larger then the repetition wouldn't be such an issue, but to have a pretty small environment that also feels a little uninteresting is something that could be improved.

I also find the menu and tutorial system a mess. This is something they're spending a lot of time trying to get right though I think. The UI had a massive change in the recent patch and all the surveys and feedback forms I've been sent relate heavily to the UI and tutorials.

I still feel they need to simplify it further though.

I think the thing that will drive this game and obviously the idea behind it is a very strong online aspect. If they can nail the whole gang based pvp thing then it will be a great game for sure, just in a action MMO way rather than having much in the way of RPG mechanics.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erm NDA and Beta, and I dont think they have finalised a payment method for it yet.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the positive words guys! Betas all about getting some community feedback and making changes. There is still a lot TBA so keep checking back.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aha Flava I'm guessing you're working for RTW then? Interesting that your Avatar is Crackdown ;p

Yeah awesome work on APB, it's already a fun game and one with a LOT of potential.

It's also good to see you're not on here taking names of those here pushing the limits of the NDA... or are you?! :D

I know this isn't the place to say, but since you're here... the vehicle handling needs work. Steering is too sluggish in all cars and could really benefit from something a little more like GTA4... more responsive handling and noticeable weight transfer on the vehicle suspension.

Other than that, keep up the good work!
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Ha, don't make to much of the Ruffian Vs Realtime story we love those guys really! Its a good games community here in Dundee! If you do have suggestions for APB jump onto the forums (http://eu.beta.apb.com/forums/) and join the discussion, there's guys there who will look into it!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    is the "are you employed in the game industry" question going to disqualify me?
  • -diesel-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why is there such a big deal about this game?

I never understood.
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you played it?

If so, you might understand...

And to be honest, there isn't really a big deal about it, surprisingly little about it in fact.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which is a good thing I think, then it can sneak in under the radar and surprise everyone.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    "The All Points Bulletin (APB) Beta is open to users residing within the UK, Germany, France, The Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Russia, Scandinavia only."

http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/apb/