Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Crystel Land (revised for GDC)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
Hello all, I just updated my portfolio from a blogfolio to a "real" one with the help of my sister. I just wanted to see if I could get any suggestions/input at the last moment here before I leave Monday evening. After the layoffs at N-Space I've been working in military sim, and I really miss gaming.

I know it's best to pick "character artist" or "environment artist", in my situation I was a character artist for the DS, and continuing to try to be one until a friend convinced me that I should stick to hard edge. Since it's what I'm used to with military sim, and it honestly comes easier to me, that's what I'm doing from now on out. At least, until the market improves. I thought my zbrush characters weren't bad, and at least show I know Zbrush, so I might as well include them.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

http://www.vertexsnapper.com

For those of you that are curious about my previous website-
http://vertexsnapper.blogspot.com/

Replies

• OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wondering- should I add a tab with examples of my 2d art? I have some drawings up on http://reflectingabyss.deviantart.com/ (they're pretty old though) and I have a couple drawings from a figure drawing class I took, as well as some paintings not posted on my deviantart.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 15
    2D can never hurt. Some nice work on your site. The only thing I might change, is maybe put the professional work first, then personal, then 2d. Regardless, nice work :)
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    I'm sort of biased because I still think Bearstallion is one of the best ideas through ages of 3D modeling. But I like your site. It's nice and simple, and you display wires if you enlarge it. It's a good mix between hard modeling and organic and the few texture examples you show are done well enough to show you're proficient. As for the 2D question, I'd say if you gather up 5 or 6 of your best completed pieces make it a different section all by itself like you separated Personal and Professional. But with most of your deviant art page being dragons your kind of selling yourself short and not showing a huge range of what you can do. Not hating on dragons, just giving my thoughts on it. You also said you have some figure drawing, which is great but I think just one really good figure piece will show you understand traditional art. Keep it up dude, I'm liking it!
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Brandoom- I went ahead with your suggestion- not a bad idea!

Yeah Gallows, a lot of doodlers I know have one thing that they just draw a lot of, for me that's dragons, so my DA is flooded with them. As far as completed pieces go, I have a couple paintings, but the only ones I can seem to find at the moment are the more "art class" kind of paintings (a 'fanart' of a nude descending a staircase, paper bags, a still life of fruit, that kind of thing)
    http://s1032.photobucket.com/albums/a401/vertexsnapper/

I don't know, I'm in debate over it. Part of me thinks it should be added because I want people to know I've had experience with traditional art, but another part of me is afraid that if I put up something that wasn't VIDEO GAME ART it might be a bad idea. Figure drawings seem to be on the line between, but I don't know.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah well, no more time for changes now. I'm in san fransisco prepping up B) still though, any input on the idea of a 2d section, should I add some of the still life type or wait until its more video gamey? This'd be something worth considering when I get back in a week.
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing I would say is seperate out your next gen models from your handheld models.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest I think you could do without the beartaur? lol and the chicken chick with the horns. Either have them in a WIP section or leave them off until they are finished.
    The only other thing I would say is the pics are all very small. Good work all around though
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input. The images aren't small if you click on them. I figured it would be good to have to bear and the chick in there to show some zbrush knowledge, if its bad though I might take them off. I've kind of given up on the character dream for now anyways :)

Also, nochance, I was trying to avoid having too many sections, I could probably seperate them by location easily enough.