Home General Discussion

Portfolio question...

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Hoopla! polygon
So, I would like to have something to show now. I am probably pretty far off from being hired but i would at least like to be able to point people to some of my work.

my question is, what should go up on my portfolio site? my goal is to get a job as an environmental 3d artist at one of the local game dev studios so i would assume that filling it with environments would be a good place to start but more specifically, what does that mean exactly? should i work on maybe one playable level? should i work on a set of assets that show a range of ability and style that dont necessarily go together? should i try to make mods or level for other released games like tf2 and such? i dont have a wealth of things to just plop down that i feel are relatively impressive so, i want to be at least slightly confident that im working on assets and skills that will get me closer to my goal.

any help?
anyone been thru this and come out the other end?
anyone in the same spot?

iv been going for a year now and feel like i have acquired some knowledge but i dont have much to show or it.

should i do tutorials and try to make them a bit different and try to use those as portfolio pieces?

any help is golden here, thanks in advance guys.

Replies