Home General Discussion

Prepare to have your mind blown

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/microsofts-courier-digital-journal-exclusive-pictures-and-de/

It blew mine anyways... if the device actually works like this, it's gonna be nucking futs... fuck iPad.

Replies

• Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I saw this earlier today. It looks sick!
  • SnowGhost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowGhost polycounter lvl 11
    Oh my God, I'm buying that....
    End of Story
    The End

I love the duel screens - it makes it that much more awesome.

Unless its more expensive then a modbook
    http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=modbook
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    it better allow for zbrush and photoshop!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    ooh, i want one to draw on. and such/
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I am also wildly hopeful about this, HOWEVER, I am not sure it's pressure sensitive. If it does have it, it seems likely that it will be nowhere near 256 levels of sensitivity.

Also, zbrush isn't even an option. Probably not photoshop either. This isn't running windows 7. It's running a different OS. So that'd mean pixologic and adobe would have to create apps just for this OS.

Also, this might never get made. These are just concept videos. Not reality. Plenty of microsoft projects have gotten to this point, but never materialized. Who knows how much battery power it'll have running 2 screens anyways.

So yea, enough nay-saying, I totally wants now.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    ebagg wrote: »
    it better allow for zbrush and photoshop!

It doesnt run windows. Runs Windows CE. Not to say pixologic couldnt make a specific version for it.

And yes. It does look good. Somehow though, I cant see it replacing my old pen and paper sketchbooks on the road.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    oh shit, that's awesome.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    oh my! I would take that over any kind of mobile gadget anyday.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    my mind was blown, 6 months ago when i started this thread

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=66033
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a quick search for Courier, must have missed it somehow... my bad.

But yeah, I know it's concept, but I hope it becomes a reality... : \
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    mLichy wrote: »
    I did a quick search for Courier, must have missed it somehow... my bad.

But yeah, I know it's concept, but I hope it becomes a reality... :

no, the new stuff posted today is real. it's releasing later this year.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I am also wildly hopeful about this, HOWEVER, I am not sure it's pressure sensitive. If it does have it, it seems likely that it will be nowhere near 256 levels of sensitivity.
    Yeah, neither of the videos show any indication of pressure variance when they're showing the drawing tools. If that is the case it seems like a fairly major missed opportunity for Microsoft.

Nevertheless it still seems like quite a nifty gadget.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah. The Ipad can suck it! Seriously though, here's hoping Microsoft doesn't blow it. They've kinda been on a good run lately IMO, and I hope they're able to keep it up. I've been repeatedly impressed as of late by the developments coming out of their R&D labs.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    As I admire the new product by Microsoft and everyone's tenacity on getting it. As some of you would know that my opinion on this device would be complete opposite. :)

Although this device is really breath-taking and shoots dire wanting thoughts in everyone's head ( for example "I WANT THISHHHHH!!! IT EEEZZ DI FIRST AMAZINGGGGG THING IZ EVA SAW ON DISH PLANET *droolz*" ) It is just another product with entitled quote from Microsoft, claiming that "Whatever tablet PC developers made, I can simply make it better, because they are really bad at it"

I'd rather buy Tablet PC or a laptop, or mini laptop then buying this piece of crap.

and that "fuck Ipad and fuck Apple" is exactly what Microsoft's intension. :)
    So good luck on buying this piece guys. :D

EDIT: No Offense to Microsoft.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I know I don't need it, I know I won't really use it... But I know I definitely want it!
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just wish it could have the vastness that is the appstore...
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Will it have apps?
    Will it do pressure sensitivity? (even a low 20 levels would be more than enough)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not a gadget person, but it looks fancy, I like their focus on the organizational abilities. All the swooshy animated stuff would get on my nerves though. I see the need for some sort of feedback on what function is being called upon, given the 'free flow' nature of the UI (rather than a wash of cascading context menus). But having to wait .2 seconds to watch something fold up to be sent off would make me break it if the option isn't disable-able.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I much prefer this to the current incarnation of the ipad - this is something I could actively use at work.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's something completely different from the iPad. This is a digital notebook that you can use for your work, and the iPad is a media player / browser device. For example I don't think the Courier can play back video at full screen, or that it'd have many games on it, for those you'd be better off with the Apple gadget. Whereas organizing stuff and appointments and such isn't really fit for an oversized iPhone.

So they're aiming for different markets, and while Microsoft's stuff seems to be a lot more clever, Apple's still going to outsell it...
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah I really didnt see a use for the ipad this has practical application! it seems like those videos we are watching are all concept footage so I dont think anything at all can be concluded about pen pressure sensitivity or how the user experience feels as its probably all been made in after effects or something - these vids just let us know how the interface might work and how we could use the device and thats pretty cool.
  • GregStrangis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This thing looks awesome!! I am not a fan of the Ipad this seems like a step up over it
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Heh looks like something I could use. I used to lug a 9x11" sketch book everywhere, I would draw sketch, and take technical notes when doing rigs, or simulation results in XSI.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Post whoring this like nuts, but if you guys are wanting a digital Sketchbook, I freaking LOVE my Fujitsu Lifebook T-Series.

Wacom pen with pressure sensitive screen:
    tablet-pc-fujitsu-t-series-lifebook-4020d-review-rotate-final.jpg

Zbrush and photoshop work like a dream. Then turn the screen around and it becomes a standard lappy.

Not sure about this E-book though. It looks like a big DS.

I hate reading books like that for some reason.
  • beartraps
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beartraps polycounter lvl 8
    I can't see why there wouldn't be apps and games for this, i mean it uses NVIDIA tegra 2, so why not? It would definitely be able to handle it. Hopefully pixologic and adobe can make some apps for this, that would be so sick. Seems like its aimed at 2d people and graphic designers, hopefully they'll take 3d into consideration.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Completely different target audience than the iPad.

Looks awesome and fun to use... but I don't think it will replace a standard notebook/sketchpad for me. I tend to reference 3-4 pages simultaneously, constantly flipping around in my composition book.

I would also like to see just how good the handwriting recognition is and how it feels to write on. Battery life seems like a major issue with all the flipping, changing, copy pasting and organizing. Price is another major factor.

How fast will it actually be to do all the stuff in the videos? Especially with heavily cluttered pages.. and those animations really would get tiresome fast!

Can it multitask? Music in the background? Though if only Zune compatible, I might pass.
    Open multiple documents without flicking/dragging/tapping and scrolling?

This is REALLY something I would have to have a hands on experience with before thinking about getting.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks like some forms of multitasking, I really hope you can run 2 apps (one on each screen, independently.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    tablet-pc-fujitsu-t-series-lifebook-4020d-review-rotate-final.jpg

My mate has one of these, fucking awesome fun to play with. Certainly a better option if you want to do work on it.

I'd personally love both. :D
  • A-N-P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    That looks completely amazing. I hope it works like they describe, if it does then Apple will have some work cut out.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    most tablets that are already available these days fail mainly because of the battery life (2-4 hours is a joke, 7+ is a must). Also most of those tablet notebooks are but ugly designed (with all those silver coated elements and crazy amount of random buttons).

The ipad and the courier on the other hand look clean and simplified, hopefully also optimized (OS and hardware) towards real mobile use. And I mainly expect a good battery life per charge and after that a focused interface and hardware that just does what it should- not a complete desktop clone in a netbook shape.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    if it works on the same os as the Zune etc, then yes it should have app support. Zune's currently have game capability, can make your own with C# and the XNA gamestudio express thingy.
    Course games aren't the only thing you can build with that.

This looks extremely good for what I'd use it for (notes, ebooks, web checkups, always on reference screens for modeling from while at the workstation, but with built in camera for easily getting more photos..etc)