Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Japanese Lantern

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey, here's a prop I made for an environment I am making.
C&C is greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

lanternrender4.png

Wireframe
wiresj.jpg

Replies

• Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Nice man! Great textures and maps! But ur total tri count is 1170? That is a bit too high. And in the top part where the holes are, there seems to be something? Can't really tell. The very top part could be reduced down and still hold up the same silhouette. Like the extra edge loops and the edges next to the corners. One on each side should be fine. And the split that in the middle should be removed because its doesn't do anything for you. so, just after u reduce and tweak it, but overall its a pretty good prop. Really like the texturing man! Keep it up!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the crits!
    The tri count you saw is the *total* tri count. Everything together in the scene. The tri count of the lantern itself is 748 tris, not 1170. I forgot to rename the object after importing it from Headus UV. I'll try optimizing it a little more though. See what sort of results it gives. Also, the top grate part, is nothing more but a simple plane. I just used an alpha map to make the holes. No way I'm going to model that! It would suck up way too many tri's for nothing.
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice man, but i have a feeling that the main stone texture is a bit noisy, and makes it a bit hard to read.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks good.

I would do more smooth edges though with aid of mormal maps ;)
    Aslso some edges could have a chopped off or damged segments.
  • psychoticprankster
    Could be a lil longer.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Could be a lil longer.

Best crit. ever!

Anyway, I think the moss is a little random. Chipped edges and some cracks would help make it a little more pleasing too.

Did you do an alpha mask for the inside lattice? It looks really nice.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your crits guys!
    I am considering putting some cracks and such on the lantern however, I have a few questions before doing so. Why would solid granite crack? Rain couldn't do it, and certainly not the sun nor the summer heat. Nor would the winter cold. Granite is beastly. The egyptians made their structures with granite thousands of years ago and they still only have "light" wear on them today (considering their age).
    I agree with subtle chipping on the sides though.

As for the moss, I put moss where there would be water accumulation. Might seem random at first glance, but I'll look into it some more, you may be right.

Oh, and about that lattice/grate, yes, I did use an alpha mask. :)