Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

T-rex, first sculpt

My first(ish) time sculpting, first time in mudbox, I have been monkeying around in zbrush, but it is still too daunting to me. I am a complete n00b at sculpting and character art in general, all I did before was hard surface, but have always wanted to make player models.

So, here is the default t-rex basemesh. I have a question for the more advanced sculptors, how would I go about this browline with the large scales? All and any crits, comments, paintovers are appreciated and helpful.

http://www.topnews.in/files/T-rex.jpg

trex1.jpg

Replies

• Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    good start, are you using a Tablet or regular mouse?
    try drawing some little details to use them as reference and then Sculpt the shape out of it, the best way to learn Sculpting workflow is to watch other people sculpting videos.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Yeah, I can already see you are approaching this wrong. First time sculptors always do this, they think detail this detail that, when really it should all be about the forms and shapes.

Forget about the teeth, wrinkles and smaller details for now. Focus on getting the major shapes down. For example I would hit the nose with the flatten brush on these sharper edges to round out the that area.

I would work on proportions some more (move brush, wax, standard, and bulge I would mainly use here), then lightly sketch in the basic muscles.
    Jaw line, eyes, nose, Mouth (without teeth), areas around the legs and arms.

Like I said just get the basic shapes. Its important that you work each subdivision to the fullest before subdividing again.
    Each subdivision you should use the extra polys you have to refine the shapes more and add a more crisp look.

Just remember surface detail doesn't matter, its the major shapes and forms that count! ;)

Good luck man, and have fun! :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I've created a T-rex myself and it's like BradMyers82 is saying here, focus on getting the shape right, do some research start to build up the muscles on that thing.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    start at lower subdivision