Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio]- zombie - 3D/2D Artist

Howdy Folks,

I've been lurking around here for a couple years and I think I could really use the eyes on Polycount to help me out with some good old fashioned, new asshole rippin, critique. \;^]

This is my portfolio: http://jasonsampleportfolio.blogspot.com/

I've been feeling a bit constipated idea wise as to what I need to do to get my career started again so, like I said, feel free to rip me a new one on anything you see.

Also any advise on doing freelance work would be much appreciated. I've never done it and I don't know where to begin.

Cheers

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    There is a lot of stuff that is pretty good here, like the buildings for Lair, but a lot of the other stuff seems kind of mediocre. here are the main things I noticed:

The 2D art seems very noisy. I don't like a lot of the designs-- they have a kind of cheesy DC comics vibe. I think the colonial zombies have cool poses and costumes-- I just don't like how busy the execution is.

Next gen characters are okay, although I think they all have kind of weak designs.

The Full Throttle looking guy is okay, but the bare midsection and leather gives him a kind of gay vibe (which is fine if that is what you are going for). The character renders look kind of fuzzy-- I would consider putting it in engine to get good screen-captures. The skin is very desaturated.

I think the black and white spec is making the skin look very waxy on the other characters.

The skin-gen characters are okay, but it looks pretty obviously photo-sourced, and could use some more shading. Here are some very nice skin-gen textures:

http://tohankim.wordpress.com/7/warhammer/
    http://benregimbal.com/lpsmall.html

Thanks for posting-- I hope I didn't seem too harsh :(
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Your art is better than your presentation. Image organization that shows a bulk of your work on one page as opposed to however many pages of scrolling this is would give the user a better sense of your abilities.

Also, seeing your work organized together will give you an easier since of quality so that you're only showing your best stuff instead of all your stuff.
  • zombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas - Not too harsh at all. I asked for an honest opinion and that's what you gave. I happen to agree with you on much of what you've said so thanks for taking the time to help me out.

cholden - I suppose you're saying it would be better to break up the website into different pages like...

3D Characters
    Props
    Character Concepts
    Environment Concepts
    etc..
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Zombie, I agree with cholden, your art is really good but presentation is letting you down. The 3d stuff in general could use a polish pass, tweaking textures, helping materials read better and getting the lighting sorted out. I agree about your 2D stuff being too noisy in places also. The good thing is that it wouldn't take much to fix all this and make it awesome!
  • zombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks monkeyboy,
    I'm going through my stuff and looking at what I can do to give it the polish it needs.

Keep the crits coming <8^]
  • Canadian Ink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I really like your lair vehicles and your character stuff is really solid as well.
  • zombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ink

It's always good to hear someone likes your stuff.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    zombie wrote: »
    cholden - I suppose you're saying it would be better to break up the website into different pages like...

3D Characters
    Props
    Character Concepts
    Environment Concepts
    etc..

No, not at all, in fact, that would be the worst thing you could do. You just need to tighten things up, so it's not one picture per page with years of scrolling, it's your portfolio on a page.
  • zombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh...

Thanks for the clarification man. Feeling a bit embarrassed now \8^[
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lair stuff and the Pirate concepts are baddass, at least to me.
    The 3d chars are in general not as good as the other stuff.. the Full Throttle/Rocker Dude is the best of chars by far.. just needs a bit of color tweaking and polish like Monkeyboy said.
  • zombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Wayfa. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I was really confused looking through your portfolio, and I have to agree with everyone. You've got some excellent work (the lair dragon made my jaw drop), but your presentation is really hindering.

There's a number of really good portfolios out there that do a fantastic job of presentation. Unfortunately, blogspot really isn't a great place to have a portfolio. I'm by no means an authority on this (I don't even have a portfolio of my own) but I'd suggest that for your portfolio page, less is more. I'd find as many portfolios as you can and run through them, see how well you feel their site presents their work. Use the layouts and feel that you like the most and try to duplicate it. I don't know what you can do with blogspt, but I'm sure there are plenty of good providers out there that are free or at least reasonable that can do what you need for your portfolio.

And I actually loved the grungy zombie concepts, though the cloths probably were a little overboard. Stick with your best work and eliminate a little more art than what you have, I think.
  • zombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Makkon. I'm going through everything and seeing what I can do to spice things up a bit.