Home General Discussion

it's over! the great game of UV-puzzling is dead!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
or maybe not, who knows.

anyways, i present you this link:
http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/features/UV-Master/

Replies

• arrangemonk
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?p=1084607

It looks interesting, but surely working this way means your base mesh pre-sculpt needs to be the final low poly?
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT:

ArrangeMonk beat me to it!
  • Flaringo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
    oh look at that!

i swear i looked before posting!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    but I like UV unwrapping :(

this just takes all the fun out of it.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    but I like UV unwrapping :(

this just takes all the fun out of it.

So do I, I find it cathartic and it improves my calm :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well yo could just import your final in game mesh and uv that if you like
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Gilgamesh wrote: »

Yeah, always good to have some technical in there to unravel the tangles brought about by making art. :)
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    also: damy you pixologic for ruining our mantra (lol)

but its really alot better to have actual uvmaps for a sculpt than those fuzzwuzz uv chunks
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    I just gave a lecture on unwrapping this morning D=
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    The machines will never replace good-old-fashioned, lovingly handcrafted UVs!

.. or will they. Provides a nice start, for now. :/
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Slightly OT, but...

In the long run, I'm of the opinion that UVs are going to cease to exist for higher-end games (maybe sooner than you think).

Very powerful voxel-driven engines are already being developed, tools like Polypaint in ZBrush are being developed, and while these are in their infancy I can see them replacing "flat" unwrapped textures. If your vertex density is high enough you can just store colour per vertex or per voxel, at which point UVs are completely unnecessary.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree mop, dunno if its a good thing, but those would have to be a ways down the road im sure.

Tried out the tool really dig the ao tiles, the painting seemed a little buggy to me, but probably because my model was only around 2k. Regardless you can always just export the tiles edit them traditionally and bring it back for poly paint and it will still save you a TON of time.

i want the next app from them to be subtool folders...that is all just something to organize that a bit better.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see UV unwrapping going away anytime soon. In some ways I find a good unwrapped model is WAAAAY easier to texture than trying to paint it all on a 3D object.
    B
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Parnell that's because 3d paint software suck compared to photoshop cs 2 or lower. Oh snap!

I think it it's about time they copied photoshop standards like shift click or hold shift to paint in a straight line...
  • j_bradford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j_bradford polycounter lvl 17
    Well if they just refined Photoshop's 3d painting feature we'd be good to go.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    you mean if you could paint like in photoshop cs 2 without lag with a wacom in photoshop cs 4 extended. At this time I don't consider photoshop cs 4 extended an upgrade. :D Maybe it was the guy's machine though, I mean all he had was a quadcore. :) I'm sure that's the problem.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i like physically pulling a mesh apart, mapping it, and then putting it back together with a morph target. In fact, morph targets are for gaybummers - really you should be picking pivots, rotating your elements from them, and then rotating the elements back from the same pivot points (that you've written down on a piece of paper that potentially the cleaner hasn't thrown away)

you kids

(this tool looks ace by the way)
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    i`d rather see photoshop painting in zbrush then 3d painting in photoshop imo

anyway uvmaster is working great for me so far, couldn`t have come at a better time :D
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I like UVing, its like a addictive mini game
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    MoP wrote: »
    Slightly OT, but...

In the long run, I'm of the opinion that UVs are going to cease to exist for higher-end games (maybe sooner than you think).

Very powerful voxel-driven engines are already being developed, tools like Polypaint in ZBrush are being developed, and while these are in their infancy I can see them replacing "flat" unwrapped textures. If your vertex density is high enough you can just store colour per vertex or per voxel, at which point UVs are completely unnecessary.

with hardware tesselation coming in, that could easily be the case.
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    I like UVing too.

It helps me find little fuck ups on the mesh....like unwelded verts.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    I like UVing too.

It helps me find little fuck ups on the mesh....like unwelded verts.

in Max Turbo smooth does this well too lol I feel ya though :thumbup:

I often think as games progress more and more, and the art form itself becomes easier to express oneself, will losing techniques such as Uv mapping and 2d-texturing make the art better or will newer art pieces lose that "soul" that I tend to feel when I look at flats?

I can definitely see tools like this converging various techniques into one sandbox of 3d art tools and so in affect making it easier for the artist to hit the ground running, but will this also be zbrush mud monster's all over? Food for thought I guess....

I'll have to wait to find out as I hopefully progress in my 3d art.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I think uvs will be part of the past too, I was thinking this a long time ago and posted about this. Pretty soon will be seeing characters that lose chunks of their flesh when they get shot, things like that, burning flesh, etc. So artist will have to be able to deal with looking and modeling the insides of human, I know some people will think it's gross, but once the technology is there I'm sure people are going to want to make use of it. I find the uv stage very helpful in finding mistakes, what isn't very helpful is how 3d paint programs haven't added photoshop and other windows applications ease of use standards. The shift to constraints motion, copy paste, alt to copy things, etc. This should of been there a decade ago. If I remember correctly most of this ease of use was in windows 3.1 so adobe can't say oh I did it I'm original. What wasn't there was the shift click, which to be honest felt like a bug to me, but then realized it was useful. If an app can copy the dodge and burn feature of photoshop they should have the other stuff too. :D They copy a shitty tool but they can't copy the useful things. Nice.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Gilgamesh wrote: »

I've heard cannabis does the same.... of course, how should I know... :)

I've been using Headus UV Layout for a few years and I'll be happy to try out another package. UV Layout is pretty nice, but if it's right in Zbrush then it's less programs to jump between!
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I love unfold3d :)
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I happen to like UV unwrapping, sure there's a lot of problems that you have to scratch your head over and I'm never able to use just the single program, but it's a great feeling when you get a decent UV map at the end. Maybe I'm just a masochist? ;)

Still I suppose it lets us concentrate on the more artistic things?