Home Technical Talk

Sub surface scattering , how to ?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hi I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on how to make a SSS for Crytek engine to be used for lants leaves ....

any hint ?

Thanks a lot ...

Replies

• NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    You only waited 4 hours, and this is the wrong forum. Have a little patience.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought I answered this the last time you asked about making Crysis foliage. Did you read the links I gave you? What part exactly are you having trouble with?
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi NAIMA,
    what you're going to want to do is load whichever imported vegetation 'based' geometry into you're map. Then assign it a material and set it to "Vegetation".

To achieve the subsurface scattering effect, make sure you check on "Leaves" and adjust the parameters in the "Shader Params" menu. Then slide "Back View Dependency" all the way to 1. Then all you have to do is slide "Back diffuse color scale" to you're liking. As well assign the back lit color by selecting a color from the palette.

You will probably want to save out you're alpha mask as a standalone texture and assign it to the "opacity" target.

Good luck! :)
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I tried that but Ididnt get any significant change inthe foliage appearence ....

Whats the use of opacity slot if I have the alpha map in the diffuse?

and what kind of texture dneed to place in the Sss slot?
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For vegetation, you do not plug in anything to the Sub surface target. Everything you are trying to achieve is already there within the vegetation shader.

Add you're spec map into the opacity and do what I said in the above post ^ and tell me if you don't get the desired results. Because in this case, you should unless you are leaving out a number of things that weren't already mentioned.