Home General Discussion

Varioations on the Stylized Visual Category

Enlighter
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Enlighter polycounter lvl 13
It seems like this is such a broad category, I did not think it was so wide.

Am I the only one? When I think of stylized I think of WoW, which of course is probably what Blizzard loves to hear.

Anyone have examples of stylization being used in other games/art/etc.

Replies

• Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18

I started writing a list, but it got too long. This is a silly question.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Well, most things are stylized. It's more to what extent. The inability to create completely realistic-looking games has spurred people to "make-up" for that; the result are the little things that make a game what it is. If you can tell what game it is just from a screenshot, then it is stylized.

Now, based on what you are saying, you mean very stylized; games like TF2, WoW, Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker, and others of the same strain. Those are always refreshing, as long as they don't over-do it.. I know I hate some games, such as Guitar Hero, just because of the awful style; I can't stand it.

So, you know, I forget what you asked, but I had fun answering whatever it was.

:p
  • Enlighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha,

So I guess cell shading would be a type of stylization. I guess what I was looking for was more a definition of what stylized was. So there are many variations on stylizing.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    It's not just a matter of stylized or not, or what sort of style. There is an entire landscape of style to discover. And, you as artists are capable of charting new territory.

from Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics:
    mccloud-uc-triangle.jpg
    Games started in the bottom right corner, and as time has passed, technology has improved and the landscape has opened up before us. Sadly, many game artists are stuck on the line along the bottom, thinking that the bottom left corner is teh uber. When, in reality, that way leads to chrome spheres on checkerboards.
  • Enlighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it's all about just defining what it is you want to see, a certain level of trial and error, and then making sure your team is on the same page haha.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    Its probably easier to list the games that are realistic...then just look at everything else.
  • Enlighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Look at any game. Figure out what they did that made it not photorealistic. There's your definition.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    doc rob, that is awesome. Would you recommend picking up the book? is the rest as insightful/interesting as that scan?