Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Torii Gate

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Here is the first prop I've made for an environment I am making. Let me know what you think! I can try to get some better views/pictures, imageshack sometimes likes to make my pictures a little fuzzy.
I am aiming to make a very abandoned environment. The time of year is spring, so I am trying to make the wood look humid, and the vegetation lush.

Note: I haven't done a specular or normal map yet, which is why it looks sort of flat.
All crits and comments welcome (actually, make that encouraged!)

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE!

So I finished the normal and spec maps and it looks MUCH better now! Still new to lighting, so it's not the best I know.

toriicomplete.png
toriicomplete2.png

Replies

• EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 14
    Looks good so far, are you going to put this in an engine?
  • CharlieD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty sweet, I dig the detail.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! This will actually be for both an offline renderer and will then go into UDK.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Textures aren't reading very well for me and it looks like your uv's are all unique. If your environment is going to be overgrown some of these arches could be partially obscured, mirroring uv's will enable sharper, lower res textures and as a result higher frame rates.

Japanese arch http://static.panoramio.com/photos/original/653795.jpg
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not all my UVs are unique. The biggest parts are mirrored, including the main pillars and support stones. This will be filmed in an offline renderer once my environment is complete, so I can't mirror everything, it will just be too aparent. I must admit however, my UV's weren't the best I've ever made. I probably could have mirrored another part or two.
    I know what you mean though, and thanks for pointing that out. I will be sure to keep that in mind! Greatly appreciated!
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    nice texture work!
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    it looks very flat. Perhaps your spec map needs some work. Also, the colors are a bit saturated. I don't see much normal detail either. If you are rendering with skylight and lighttracer, the normals wouldn't really show up. Can you do a lit scanline render or in engine shot?
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's like I said in my first post. No normal map or specular maps are done yet. I forgot to include WIP in my title. Sorry! All this should be done tonight though. As for the colors, it is supposed to be a dulled down, sunbleached version of a BRIGHT red. Not orange like so many Torii are painted. Traditional Shintoist Torii gates are red, the color red which was once believed to expel demons from sacred places.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!
    Just finished the spec and normal maps. Let me know what you think! I'm very new at lighting so obviously, it isn't the best and it is clearly affecting my diffuse, but you get the idea :)
    toriicomplete.png
    toriicomplete2.png
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    it's all looking good.

One thing that does jump out at me though is that the grain on your beams is vertical... thats an enormously wide tree.

Also, traditionally, the uppermost beam is black (probably covered with lead or some other such metal or treatment) and wood is only painted red, so it would be pealing to reveal a wooden base.

If you're looking for a bit more grunge, I would suggest putting stickers all over the lower parts of the pillars. In Japan, most torii are covered in these.

6cfd1313e69efa7f589f34fc5bbad809.jpg

http://blogimg.goo.ne.jp/user_image/12/e8/9d8b3042b0390833a21570135e09affc.png

1256846269.jpg

hope this helps.

(BTW orange is just sun damaged red, there's a freakish amount of sun-weathering here)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    GCMP wrote: »
    Textures aren't reading very well for me and it looks like your uv's are all unique. If your environment is going to be overgrown some of these arches could be partially obscured, mirroring uv's will enable sharper, lower res textures and as a result higher frame rates.

lower res textures =/= higher framerates.
    It does use less memory, which is a different but also beneficial thing.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Hawken in particular. My setting is supposed to take place way back in the 18th century. I'm not sure, but I don't think stickers like that even existed back then. As for the colors of the torii, thanks for pointing that out! I was looking at references such as: istockphoto_9289123-torii-gates-at-fushimi-inari-taisha-shrine-kyoto.jpg
    There, the base is black. Seeing you are from japan, you most likely have more knowledge about how torii's look than me. From the references I have used, not all of them had a black top beam. Perhaps it is only the traditional ones?
    About the red, I did some research as to how the red looked whence sun-bleached. And this is what I came up with pretty much: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1087/946317886_dc6471ec32.jpg
    Now, I do not know if the Japanese used a different kind of paint, one that would tone down differently than others around the world. If this is the case, please let me know! Also, My lighting may give that impression that it is more toned down than it should, I'm not great at lighting, yet. ;)

As for the beams with a vertical grain, perhaps you saw wrong? The only parts with vertical grain are the Vertical pillars. The rest all have horizontal grain. Maybe I just misunderstood what you meant?

Nevertheless, thanks alot to all of you! Very much appreciated!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Well, I would say they are all traditional and the majority aren't even painted, but yes the top beam is cured in some manner to stop rain damage affecting the rest of the structure when they are wooden.
    Not to change the track of your project but I found a good reference of a damaged torii http://www.muza-chan.net/aj/poze-weblog/washinomiya-shrine-01.jpg As you can see, we are under the force of a lot of elements here. I would imagine that after just a few years of neglect, quite a lot of damage can be done.

I'm not actually from here but do live here.

If you're looking for more ref, try using this word in google images / flickr: 鳥居

(I believe the bases are black on the Fushimi Inari-taisha torii in kyoto above, is because they are quite tiny, and subject to abuse)

coming along very nicely, looking forward to rest of the scene.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I'll see what I can do about the cured top beam. And thank you for that reference! It may help in the future! Also, I never thought of using the black bottom to protect from abuse. It makes sense since those donated torii's are particularly prone to wear.