Home General Discussion

Mousepad Thread: Why not?

it's extremely related to my artistic skills.so yeah.. i'm planning to get one of these :)

SS Qck Mass -VS- Razer Goliathus Control. roughly same price. which one ?
mousematsj.jpg

Replies

• 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    LOL My desk is my mousepad. I can't tell you the last time I've used one. When I did use one though, I just had a piece of frosted acrylic that was scrap from a hardware store :) Worked awesome!
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Everytime someone plays a shooter and then say they dont play with a mouse pad I face palm.
    At home Roccat sense, at work a NOVA mousepad.

The mousepad makes handling the mouse much smoother and some accuracy, therefore, in a way, makes it a little easier. In addition to that its also there to protect the feet of the mouse from grinding down and from getting scratch marks on the table.

I dont think the normal user needs to spend lots of money on a mousepad, just stay away from the cheap things with plastic stuff, rather get one with a cloth surface.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    37eee031bb.jpg

One of those cutting things i cut on one side use the other as my mousepad.
    Its almost as big as my table and the shiznitz.
    Have had a razer one before but it was so overpriced and the rubber spacers fell off and all of that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this: $10 or so, slick surface. love it Doesnt get nasty like those cloth ones

allsop-mousepad.jpg
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    +1 EarthQuake, been using that pad for years.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I have this mouse pad (which rocks), but I don't use it anymore. The new laser mouse I bought works better on the surface of my drafting table than with this. Makes ZERO sense, but whatever.

Razer-ProPad-718749.jpg
  • Krynn72
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I keep it classy.

659435_sk_lg.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
  • MRico
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MRico polycounter lvl 10
    I use my wacom tablet as my mousepad...I don't have a big enough desk to move it out of the way and it's annoying to keep moving it back and forth when using it or not.
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My ol' mx512 jitter like shit on my shiny white Bamboo. Maybe if it's black it'll perform differently. Also.. i'm under impression that using Wacom as mousepad will somehow ruin my Wacom surface.. like you know, mousefeet friction?
    Okay maybe it won't, but who can really tell right? riiiight?

Which makes me kinda wonder, why Logitech haven't produced any "gaming" mousemats. it's like implying that every Logitech Gaming Mice will works well on any surface.
    While obviously.. it won't.
    Also. it'll sell like cupcakes.
    1. Grab a piece of cloth.
    2. Print fancy Logitech logo on it.
    3. ??????.
    4. Profit!!

Anyway, i've already ordered my Qck Mass. i think it's at perfect size & thickness :p.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    My girlfriend got me this for Christmas, probably the best gift i've ever got. She knows hot much of a pet peeve i've got against uneven, filthy mousepads that dont stay slick.

exactmat_LRG2.jpg
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I don't remember when I last used a mouse pad. And I haven't noticed any affect on my gaming. Unlike before when I would accidentally move the mouse off the edge of the pad.
  • bejkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bejkon polygon
    I have used the fUnc 1030 for over five years now. It's getting a bit weared down but thats one helluva quality mousepad people!

1030black.JPG

Thinking about the Ace Edge T3200, seems pretty sweet.
    (mm): 350 * 260 * 2
    Rubber base and aluminum surface.
    Anyone here tried it?

It's pretty cheap compared to Razer, Qpad and other h4rdc0re 1337 gaming brands.

513294.jpg

Cloth mousepads is disgusting imo.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    I went for like 5 years without one, and then one day I just nabbed one from my school. it's a dumpy little cloth Wells Fargo one.
    Works swell.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    never use one, not since my optical mouse which incidentally just broke after years of good use
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    i use my wacom as my mouse pad :/
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    MoP, at home I'm the same. At work I use an X-Ray Thunder 8.
  • MALicivs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MALicivs polycounter lvl 15
    what's the advantage of using a mousepad with optical mouses? (provided the table is not too glossy obviously)
    back in the day they were usefull because the sphere needed a proper surface to move well, but these days I don't really see the point. Is there any other advantage?
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    MALicivs wrote: »
    what's the advantage of using a mousepad with optical mouses? (provided the table is not too glossy obviously)
    back in the day they were usefull because the sphere needed a proper surface to move well, but these days I don't really see the point. Is there any other advantage?

I guess in the long run less friction on your wrist could be better for you, with carpel tunnel and all that. But mostly you just want a surface that the mouse wont get confused on, and some people have desk tops that are wood grain, or speckled, or like you said glossy. Or they are like me and have a glass desk so yeah definitely need a pad there.

If you guys want points with the ladies you could always get one with your gf/wife's picture on it lol
  • NathanA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will using a laser mouse on a Wacom damage it in any way? I've had several people in the past catch me doing it and warned me against it for no real reason... old wives tales...?

I don't use a mousepad, just my desk for now... old wives tales or not I'm terrified of the idea of anything happening to my new intuos 4
  • Quokimbo
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I made one for a graphic design class in grade 8. It was awful looking back then... and even worse now.

And by awful I mean totally amazing in that beautiful way that only truly horrible things can be. Somehow it makes my MX500 feel like the highest grade mouse you can get. Not sure how or why but I've never felt a mouse&pad that felt better than this piece of crap combination. I should really grab a camera, so I can display it's ultimate lack of epicness. The mouse itself is starting to look like something out of Chernobyl; really sells the whole package.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    kaburan wrote: »
    My girlfriend got me this for Christmas, probably the best gift i've ever got. She knows hot much of a pet peeve i've got against uneven, filthy mousepads that dont stay slick.

exactmat_LRG2.jpg

Thats one fine gift you got! I have the same pad and its awesome.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    No mousepad. And I play shooters. With a controller :P
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • hyrumark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hyrumark polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know how people use those slick, non-cloth mousepads, that moves the cursor at the slightest touch. I need to have a little friction from a cloth and rubber mousepad.

I use an oversize one from Office Depot, about 16 inches wide.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    NathanA wrote: »
    Will using a laser mouse on a Wacom damage it in any way? I've had several people in the past catch me doing it and warned me against it for no real reason... old wives tales...?

I don't use a mousepad, just my desk for now... old wives tales or not I'm terrified of the idea of anything happening to my new intuos 4

Well, my intuos 2 still works... sure the left side silver lining has worn away a bit, feels obtusely smooth, but that might just be the oils from my skin. My housemate accidentally scratched it anyway. I'm also not as "pro" as some and therefore don't know what 'worn wacom' may feel like. Heck, as long as it doesn't feel like paper, it will always feel a 'little' alien to me.
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    No mousepad. And I play shooters. With a controller :P

I sure hope you're not one of those guys on the Bioshick 2 forums complaining about lack of controllerzzzzzz.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Whats the difference between this mouse pad and that one? (unless if you are talking about different types of mousepads) they arent any different at all! :)
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I'm using a classic qpad (got it like 4 years ago) it's thick, so I also use it as a wrist pad/ rest thingy for my mouse hand. 1/8th of it hangs down from my desk's edge for the comfort of my forearm. Great mousepad for gaming and modelling alike.

It's similar to this one, only with a slightly better graphic on the surface.

qpad_large.jpg

/edit BTW I use it turned 90 degrees, eg the longer surface is perpendicular to my desk not horizontal.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mine's an ancient cloth-on-rubber Amazon.com promotional one with a Groucho Marx quote on it ("Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."). I think it's a good 8-9 years old and filthy as a result.

I never really got the whole metal £50 mousepad thing. There can't be that much of a difference, surely?
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's depends on how much precision you need on your daily gaming/working basis.
    So yea, i think it is that much of a difference.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    I take one of these and lay it unfolded and flat with the brown side up. I've been using these at work for 6 years. I replaced the folder once with a new one. So 2 folders total so far. I draw and jot notes on them sometimes.

745251_sk_lg.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At work my mouse sits right on a seam in my desk so I use this hard pad to give me a smooth surface.
    thumb_rocketfish_16.jpg

At home I just use the desk or I forget I have a mouse and just use the wacom pen.

I try and stay away from the silicone filled wrist rest things, I read a while back that its a bad idea to have soft squishy plastic chemicals so close to major veins for long periods of time. Never bothered to look too deep into it but I figure it makes sense... kind of.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I use A4 paper 1 piece can last a couple of weeks before it starts to get a little bit folded :) dont use any mousepad at work just a desk
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Using a custom polished speed pad and teflon shoes weeeee :poly142:

Takes a while to get used to it but then its just awesome
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Vig wrote: »

I try and stay away from the silicone filled wrist rest things, I read a while back that its a bad idea to have soft squishy plastic chemicals so close to major veins for long periods of time. Never bothered to look too deep into it but I figure it makes sense... kind of.

Err.. Uh oh..

Can I have the link?
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There you go fella..
    boob-mouse-pads.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    buy one of those cheap pad of paper sketchbooks with the soft cardboard back.

tear the back off.

best mousepad ever.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Err.. Uh oh..
    Can I have the link?
    It was over a year ago, can't find any mention of it. It was on some eco-hippy site that suggested using something else like buckwheat or something earthy instead of gel. I think they made comments about microban (anti-microbial plastics) that where used in the covers, but microban is pretty common in things like cutting boards so I can't imagine that was it... now I wish I could find the link to find out exactly what it was... damn.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I've been using a 3M Precise Mousing Surface for ages now.
    You can date it by the following image (minus the text) featured on the pad:

51PVW58D51L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

A little spit on the bottom and the thing does NOT move from it's spot.
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I always dreamed of getting a RatPad, but this 99p version does pretty good.

72812%20-%20A4%20Ring%20Binders%20Black.JPG

Take the side of a black or dark-grey marble foolscap folder, slice, and tape/blue-tac down.

D'oh - Didn't see Swampbug's post - glad I'm not the only mouse user on a budget. :D