Home General Discussion

super sculpey firm...

ive worked with super sculpey before (the pink stuff). today i got some super sculpey firm (gray). i was just wondering if its supposed to be THIS freakin hard or did i just get a really old one thats started to dry out? i cant even break the brick with my hands. i used a blade to cut a corner off and it broke into small bits....

is it supposed to be like this until its properly kneaded? or is mine just dried out and dead?

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Get some fluid lighter to help soften it up.

Then smoke right in front of it when working. ;)
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea...there is this fluid that you drip into it i guess. im too lazy to drive back to the art store..

i decided to just carve into the block of sculpey like stone. its pretty fun. im making a stone tower on a cliff sort of thing. will post progress in P&P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i mixed some standard and some hard once, about 50-50, and got some pretty good results
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    If it's very crumbley, it's probably an old block -- it should be quite firlm, but you should be able to slice off a piece and not have it crumble away (though a few small pieces may flake off. Lighter fluid, turpentine, mineral spirits or sculpey softener kneaded in should help soften it up too.

I generally use a mix of 2 parts regular super sculpey to 1 part SSFirm for my default stuff, with hard surfaces using a mix of a higher proportion of firm.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    pasta maker is a must for mixing!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah the firm shouldn't be brittle. That will happen if its old and dryed out. The reg super sculpey will do the same. Its salvagable and it will take work and the fluid helps but it's a lot of work by hand.

Use a pasta maker. Should have them at blick or micheals if thats where you get your art stuff.

Also sometimes mixing it with reg super sculpey helps to not make it as hard.

I have used various combinations as well as using the colored fimo blocks to color the super sculpey so its not that weird transparent flesh color.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I have used the white stuff, pretty firm. Hard to make any fine details vs pink sculpty
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I've always had too much of a heavy hand when it comes to using super sculpey, so for me, it's way too soft. I haven't used the firm yet, so a question. Can anyone tell me the difference in sculpting consistency, between sculpey firm, and Chavant NSP Medium (which is what I use)? I REALLY like chavant's firmness, it helps retain details, and I can get it pretty damn smooth. But I don't like that I have to mold and cast every piece I do with it if I want to keep it. I'd much rather just bake it, and move on.
  • vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    I find working with sculpey to be a chore, super sculpey quickly turns to goop in my warm hands, and firm is on the other scale of hardness, very hard to make changes without a tool, unless you want to deal with crumbling bits ;). I would expect I'm not working with the freshness stuff, due to the limited quantity and the high price I have to pay(I knew there was a downside to living on such a small island :P)

I have recently converted to Chavant NSP Medium and I'm not looking back. This stuff rocks, you can actually handle the clay without it turning to something totally unworkable. Now, if only I can find a place which doesn't charge $50 a block :D
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    50 50 mix! easy as pie with a pasta machine. And it looks good too, nice grey shade - not like the translucent pink one not letting you see what youre doing ...
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    So, vivin, you think Chavant's easier to use than sculpey firm? Cause I really do like using chavant, like you said, it doesn't turn to mush while you're working with it. But I do wanna try sculpey firm if it's even remotely close to chavant
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10

Use a pasta maker. Should have them at blick or micheals if thats where you get your art stuff.

My wife buys crap from there ALL the time. Check this site, they usually have a 50% coupon, which is awesome. Last week they had a 60% coupon and I missed it (wanted to get an airbrush!).

http://printable-coupons.blogspot.com/2008/02/michaels-coupons-arts-craft-store.html
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    50/50 mix with reg. super sculpey, and a little turpenoid. (Turpenoid is also great for smoothing out rough surfaces later in the process)

turpenoid.jpg

edit: plz don't csi enhance my w2
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL. w2. thanks for all the advice guys.