Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

skwid

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
illadam polycounter lvl 14
My friend skwid.

Right now he's at 3,324 tris with a 512 map.

full_01.jpg

face_01.jpg

I may make a scene where he's at his computer playing warcraft but we'll see.

Replies

• edoran89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that, scared the shit out of me
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    That's... A weird model indeed heh. Props for going crazy :)

Still the count seems to be rather heavy for this model. Post some wireframe shots so we can see the mesh.

As for the texture, too uniform in color. Add more variety, greens, blues, yellows. Just to show where fat/veins and such are. Also a bit of specular wouldn't hurt on this guy. (either painted in the diffuse texture, or as a seperate map).

Also he could do with some texture as in, wrinkles, pores, lumps and bumps.
    Get some squid shots of google and see how complex their skin actually is.
  • achillesian
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Achillesian i swear you are the worst poster in polycount history. You put dumb shit image macros and pictures of videogames and idiotic useless 2cents KEKEKE IM SO RANDOM comments into p&p threads all the time, it is beyond obnoxious.

on topic this is awesome. Ridiculous, but awesome. I think the suction cups could be a little bigger/easier to read -- and for that matter, bulking up the arms in general might really help.
  • A.Kincade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A.Kincade polycounter lvl 9
    ha. quality idea.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    I'd want to dampen the transition between "skin" and "eyeball" somewhat, or at least add some kind of border.
    Those eyes stare right into my soul.
  • MrMachete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think some bigger tentacles would give it a bit more character, also the color of the AO in between each tentacle looks a bit muddy

And seconded on Achillesian being the worst poster on these boards, the guy is trying to get some critique and improve his skills. Don't interrupt and sidetrack a thread with a dumb image in an attempt to get a laugh.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    I think you should find a new friend. He looks like the type who would axe you in the back.
  • illadam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illadam polycounter lvl 14
    edoran89 - you should see him in rl!

pestibug - yeah the tri count is pretty high. I haven't gone through and tried optimizing it really I wanted to get into the texture haha. I'll work on some optimizations tonight and see how low I can get it. I got some wires for ya.

I def agree with the texture I'ma try and get it to look more realistic but still have a cartoon feel to it. I checked out some squid photos on google and I think some colored spots and what not will help. I try some variations and post em up. hopefully tonight.

achillesian - what's his name?

SupRore - yeah the cups are kinda fuzzy what I would really like to do is beef up a few of the arms and keep some small to get some variation.

A.Kincade - Thanks

zenarion - hahaha yeah most def I'll work on the eyes. I'll work on the shading for a smoother transition.

MrMachete - Yeah I tried a few different ways to make the space between the tentacles better but like you said it kept looking muddy. What I'm really trying to get across is kind of an underling webbing kind of like in between fingers on a hand. I'll work on it tonight to see if I can get it to look more clear.

kaburan - He most def would if I let him that is. :P

Heres some wires and a chair I wipped up for him last night.

skwid_wires.jpg

chair_wire.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    actualy when i first saw the squid it reminded me a lot of seaman (which ach) posted, so i dont think his post was that far off topic,, tho he coulda added something a bit more constructive to go along with it.

also reminds me of the badguys from big man japan