Home General Discussion

Work PC Questions

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
Been trying to discuss this at work recently, I know lots of art dev folks have some awesome rigs at work.. but I know some folks that work at smaller indie studios that have to scrounge for whatever they can get to find a decent pc to work off of.

Where do you fit in?

I'm trying to find a solution for the company showing them the money savings on time and productivity alone would be worth it. I could actually do more work faster at home and come in a couple days a week for meetings rather then work on this slow PC I'm working on at the moment. :D

I often have to close 3dsmax to open photoshop and/or when trying to test things in our game.

I have a

Intel Core Duo 2.66GHz
2 gig of ram
Nvidia 8800 GTS

It's not necessarily the slowest machine around, but for working in art 8 hours a day, max, zbrush, photoshop, our game.. it's kinda rough.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i would get from 4 to 6 or 8 gigs ram and maybe upgrade to a quad core , that would be more than enough :)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    dude, that is out.
    i feel your pain. i recently had to sell the idea of getting upgrades to my boss. making that sale can be difficult, especially in the economy.
    now keep in mind the rig is mostly used for photo real rendering and custom shading networks. render times can get high and eat up the machine leaving me unable to perform any other single task during render times. so i was able to upgrade memory and operating sys. the machine was bough like 6 years ago or something when i knew a lot less than i do now.
    the longest part of the process was getting exactly what i wanted and doing the research to make sure it was compatible with the motherboard since it was fairly old.

i was running:
    2 intel xeon 3ghz
    2gig ram
    128mb ati (can't remember which one)
    32bit xp pro

now i'm running
    2 intel xeon 3ghz
    8gig ram
    512mb 9600gt
    64bit win7

the biggest boosters were the ram and 64bit operating system. now i can do layouts in the background of render jobs with little to no slow down.

i know the rig isn't mind numbingly amazing, but given the age of the hardware, it's pretty much maxed out unless i bought a new board, which i just didn't want to bother with. if i did get a new board, i would deffinetley have purchased something capable of an i7 and of course the processor as a purchase... budgets budgets budgets.... it's all about the washington's!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Man thats a great argument, but good luck :) Not that I work in the industry or anything but I have 2 PC's I work on. The one can take up to 3 hours to get an AO map out of MAX or Xnormal, yet my other PC can do the same amount of work in 1/4 the time. Also, I can multitask on the faster PC while I cannot on the slower one.

So, in my case, I'm out say (we will make the math easy :) ). 3 hours vs. 1 hour, and say you make like 30 dollars an hour (again, I don't but whatever), that's $60 of wasted time. That PC upgrade would pay for it self in a couple projects....
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    To actually prove this to an upper management type, they like to see numbers and ways that their cash may be in the process of being squandered, for example, in time wasted waiting on renders or such.

When you are doing work on your machine, keep a sheet handy to track how long it takes you to do various daily tasks. For instance, how long it takes to render scene X on your current machine. Then, take that same scene to a different machine with higher specs (assuming, of course, this is available) and do the exact same thing with the only changed variable being the hardware/os specs and track the info for that.

In my mind, and I believe the mind of most bean counters and management, if you can prove with hard evidence of "It took me xx time to render this out on our current setups as opposed to xx with these increased specs and here is the difference in cost of the hardware" you will have a lot more leverage to work with to get some new beefcake rigs on your desk.

This doesn't really answer your question of what everyone else uses, but it might be a way to get your current systems upgraded.

Management likes numbers.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    damn dude, that's ridiculous. an upgrade from that wouldn't even be $1000. they need to get you a new rig!

hell, I can't even imagine working with 2 gigs of ram anymore.. especially if you're using sculpting apps.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    As an intersting and fairly unscientific sidenote. A tv animation studio near here recently upgraded all their artists PCs. Flash can really bog down when doing something it totally wasn't meant to do so it seemed like a good idea. The first set of numbers after the upgrade was that peoples performace actually went down.

To answer your question though, 6-8gigs and an OS that supports it are a good upgrade, and fairly cheap.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I agree Firebert about what to upgrade first. I have a similar setup to the first posted specs. Core2duo e8400, 8800gt etc.

I had 2 gb of ram, upgraded to 8 gb and win7 64 bit. Rendering maps with xNormal got much faster(I moved to the x64 version of xNormal as well). Working with Zbrush got a lot more fun also.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    Intel 2.0 ghz Centrino Mobile Processor (single core)
    1.5 gig of RAM
    64 mb integrated ATI Mobility videocard

This is the IBM ThinkPad I use at work. Not Lenovo, IBM...this should indicate how old it is. When I tested out a Ubuntu bootable disk for someone that needed it to diagnose and fix a virus or hardware problem, it indicated that 80% of the 80 gb hard-drive contains bad sectors. The only fan on the unit is louder than the on board speakers at half volume. It has a whopping two usb ports, one of which is used by a mouse, the other by a keyboard. If I have to put something on a flash drive, I have to make a choice between which of those two to disconnect. I've tried a USB hub, but even with a powered one anything plugged into it will sometimes stop responding as if the device has lost power.

I use Maya 2009, Adobe After Effects CS3, and Adobe CS 1. Sometimes two of them at the same time.

I feel your pain.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    One thing that I'd think would help out a lot would be a fresh wipe of the hard drives each year. Even getting a new hard drive and installing on there to keep the original to hold your original files. Then get your essential apps on there and make an image of the drive for using for the next years wipe.

At Mythic we had about the same as you've got there, just a weaker vid card. I can sympathize with those frustrations of running those different apps in addition to the game.

There isn't a whole lot you can do to that machine now without having to go 64-bit. An extra GB of RAM will make a little difference, but a new vid card won't necessarily benefit your setup.

Seems like the PCs were picked out and distributed before the decision to use zBrush. -,-
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    We had good rigs at Turn10. Quad core, 4GB ram, 500GB hdd space, 9800GTX cards. They bought them before working on Forza3.

My current home PC is in dire need of an upgrade though.
    - Core2Duo 2.4gz
    - 3GB ram
    - 9800 GT 320MB

After a handful of hours of max+photoshop+chrome (ref/movies while working) my system gets real real slow :(
    I want to upgrade to a quad core, Win7 and another 5GB of ram for 8GB total.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    We had good rigs at Turn10. Quad core, 4GB ram, 500GB hdd space, 9800GTX cards. They bought them before working on Forza3.

My current home PC is in dire need of an upgrade though.
    - Core2Duo 2.4gz
    - 3GB ram
    - 9800 GT 320MB

After a handful of hours of max+photoshop+chrome (ref/movies while working) my system gets real real slow :(
    I want to upgrade to a quad core, Win7 and another 5GB of ram for 8GB total.

An upgrade from 3 GB to 4 GB with your current system may give you a noticeable performance increase, as 3gb = turning off dual channel ram. You need even # of ram sticks to run in dual channel mode.

Your mobo should support a nice quad core too, i've got a q6600 which is fantastic-awesome-great, but it looks like they dont even sell them anymore.... You can get a quadcore q8300 for $150 on newegg that would help alot with 3d apps that are properly threaded.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert wrote: »
    dude, that is out.
    now i'm running
    2 intel xeon 3ghz
    8gig ram
    512mb 9600gt
    64bit win7

Firebert, nice rig. I'm running Qaudcore, 4gb ram and core216 gtx 260 with approx. 869mb and win 7 64 bit.
    How come you didn't go for a better video card?
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    because i only had time to go to bestbuy, it was cheap, and it works... the ati burnt out on me so video card was a separate purchase that was about 4-5 months before i got the memory and such
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's cool. It's a good card. I had it only a few weeks ago.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    My rig at work is pretty sweet,
    core i7 2.8ghz
    8 gb of ram
    gforce gts 240
    win 7 64bit

better than my one at home, wich is alright but should get more ram

q6600 quad (EQ is right, its super awesome
    4gb ram
    gforce 8800 gts
    win 7 64bit
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    my home/work rig:

Core i7 920,
    4 gb ram,
    radeon HD 4800.
    64 bit vista.
  • jakelear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jakelear polycounter lvl 14
    This is quickly deteriorating into a pimp your rig thread but I'll give my 2 cents, which is a followup to Bearkub's reply.

Definitely have the record of how long various tasks take, but keep a second sheet on standby as well for how much time you lose to crashes. I remember before I upgraded countless times where I pushed maya or zbrush just a little too far and lost a bunch of work (especially bad when zbrush crashes on saving)

This may not be all that common of an occurrence but the occasional loss of 30 - 60 min of work will rack up quick. (I know one would be a fool to not save more frequently but occasionally absentmindedness prevails)

Anyway,
    intel i7 940
    12 gb ddr3
    quadrofx 4800 1.5gig
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    To me, the second monitor is more important than any other high priced piece of hardware, can be a piece of sh*t monitor too. So naturally you need a video card decent enough to support dual monitor display.

Running 8 gigs ram, 3 ghz, windows XP 64 bit, Nvidia GeForce GTX 260.

Only time i curse slowdowns is during high quality light bakes in UDK, can say i'm very happy with this rig. Missing out on some cool photoshop functionality because it's XP and not vista or windows 7, but it's glitzy crap you don't really need.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    we got nice dell workstations with quadro cards. don't know exactly which atm, but they're pretty good. monitors are okay too. Only the wacoms are weird. It's like everyone uses old Graphires. Yet the artwork people do on them is just kickass.

Overall the PC performance seems to be on par with my home PC (quad 2.66, 8800gtx sli), except I like my Intuos and my 30" monitor much better :) I also do much gaming on this PC, so a 30" beats dual, but I've been pondering getting a 20" and rotate it 90 degs and use it as 2nd monitor so the vertical resolutions match.

I don't think you need that much of an uber rig to do great work though. I never worked at a place where everyone had an uber rig, yet all the artists still get their work done properly.
    Most difference seems to make: enough RAM, a 2nd monitor -which should be of the same make as the 1st - two different monitors with different colors will drive you nuts. Also make sure the systems you buy are stable and reliable - this beats speed any day. Of what use is a fast PC that crashes all the time or where the hardware flunks out and there's no service?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    yeah we don't even get wacom's I had to bring in my old intuos2 4 incher.. I got a 12wx cintiq at home but I for sure ain't bringing that into work.
  • Ranzarok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ranzarok polycounter lvl 17
    yeah we don't even get wacom's I had to bring in my old intuos2 4 incher.. I got a 12wx cintiq at home but I for sure ain't bringing that into work.

I feel your pain...hehe I work with you. Our first generation Wacoms are not cutting it. Mine still connects through the serial port, which the MB didn't even have. They had to buy a peripheral card in order to get the rig to recognize it. The drivers are dumped after a reboot.

I'm glad you posted this thread because I am very curious to see what others in the industry work on. When we start using Zbrush or Mudbox on a regular basis, the current hardware is going to have some issues (PS, Max, subdivision modeler and the game)...ouch.
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    Well, at work I have:
    Amd Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 3800+
    2.01 GHz, 3 GB of RAM
    NVidia GeForce 9800 GTX

And it's taken me three years to get something that good. We're a gaming/simulation place but the software department is rather small. 2 artists, 4 programmers. Took me a year to get 2 monitors and 2 years to get a wacom tablet. When i have been able to get upgrades, it's been when I've been able to show how much time I was losing due to crashes, slowdown, etc.