Home Technical Talk

Environment art help

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey,
So I am making a new environment, but I need some help with my ideas.
Simply put, how do I make an environment tell a story? I want the viewer to look at my environment, and know exactly what it was built for. I do not wish to make something destroyed/pillaged. I want to make some sort of shrine, but making it as gorgeous as possible, and somehow telling a story just by looking at it. How would one do that? Do any of you have any good examples of excellent environments that make you feel like you are in the scene?

Sorry if I am unclear, I can repeat myself if necessary.

Thanks!

Replies

• Allert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allert polycounter lvl 11
    Is this for a render, or ingame? If its for ingame, try out Uncharted 2, it has some really nice temples/shrines, which in my view have quite a story to tell. But yeah, they're pretty much ruins, so i'm not sure if thats what you mean by 'destroyed'. Anyway good luck!
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_semiotics
    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_visual_metaphor
    and all that
    but beyond the pretentiousness of that, just think of a backstory and think what things are for. Do research, and it should come.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Lighting plays a HUGE role in telling a story. Even if you're not making something destroyed, giving your pieces wear will also help. You'd be surprised how much a little scrape or dust can set the scene :) Just look for references to things similar to what you want to make, gather as much as possible and let your mind do the rest.

ImSlightlyBored pretty much nailed it with the links so I don't have much to add :P

Edit: Just thought of a great example :)

In Fallout 3, when you have to go into the vault where you meet that Super Mutant that ends up helping you. That vault looks just like the rest in the beginning, but as soon as you hit that area thats flooded with red light, you know something bad happened there :P
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys, very much appreciated!
    @Allert: This is for an in-engine render for my demoreel. I plan to make this scene kickass, so I need the advice of as many people as possible.

Once again, thanks alot!
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Culture

What was it built for? What surrounds it? What lives there? What do the occupents do throughout their daily routine? If abandoned, considers those questions in past tense.

For example, if you're building a medieval peasent house that's been in the family for generations. Maybe it's near a river so the owns regularly fishes, chops wood for heat, and so on. This would lead to a rickety old house with all sorts of trickets and decorations around it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Some things to think of are who built the shrine and who did they build it for?

For example in fantasy worlds it should be easy to tell the difference between Elven and Dwarven architecture, they reflect the race. Elven architecture is expected to be delicate and swooshy while Dwarven stuff is sturdy and heavy looking.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome. Thanks alot for the help guys.
    I have another question however. Currently, 50% of the people I have talked to told me to render my scene (for my demoreel) in Unreal (either UDK or UE3). They say the results I can achieve will be much better compared to a render in 3ds Max. Also, it will be a plus since it shows that I can use a game engine. However, the other 50% tell me that if I render my demoreel in 3ds Max will grant me far greater results (visually speaking).

Honestly, I am stumped. I understand the pros and cons of both Unreal and 3ds Max. However, isn't the whole point of a demoreel to make the environment look as good as possible? (Note: I know how to use unreal, so there wouldn't be any wasted time learning it).

Help is appreciated! :D
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Honestly, I am stumped. I understand the pros and cons of both Unreal and 3ds Max. However, isn't the whole point of a demoreel to make the environment look as good as possible? (Note: I know how to use unreal, so there wouldn't be any wasted time learning it).

Help is appreciated! :D

The point of a demo reel or images is to demonstrate that you can do the job of making game art. In the workplace you will be using a game engine and not 3ds max.
  • Allert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well - I guess if you want people to see your 'ingame' stuff, definately go for unrealEd (or any good game engine will do). But if its for an animation short, you'd probably want to render it out in max. Heck, you probably can use .fx shaders in max too right? I'm a Maya user, so I'm not sure.

EDIT: As Sprunghunt mentioned, the most important thing is to show "what" you can, as opposed to "how" you want to show it. Most game-companies either use proprietary engine software, which you will learn to use along the way, and maya/max to build your assets.
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    You can make some really awesome stuff in the UDK, http://boards.polycount.net/showpost.php?p=1067946&postcount=33 for example.

That scene looks almost real, and yet is in the UDK. That says to employers that he knows what he's doing, and he can make awesome looking stuff. I'd say the fact that it's in the UDK is far more impressive than if he were to render it out in Max/Maya
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    If your goal is to make art for games then you should put art in games. The benefits of understanding the difference between realtime and render as well as showing employers you have unreal knowledge almost always put you in front of those that do not. That said, there's no reason not to setup a pretty render either.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allert wrote: »

EDIT: As Sprunghunt mentioned, the most important thing is to show "what" you can, as opposed to "how" you want to show it. Most game-companies either use proprietary engine software, which you will learn to use along the way, and maya/max to build your assets.

That's an interesting point. If most game companies use an in-house engine, won't something done in unreal *not* impress them since they aren't using unreal at all?
  • Allert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well - if you show them something in unrealEd, it tells your potential employer that you know the workings inside a game-engine. That would definately be a plus. They would see you know your way around realtime shaders, textureblending, normal maps etc.. Rendering things out in max would also need shader setup, but I'm not sure how that'll help you get a job in the games-industry as much (unless you want to apply as a cinematic cutscene artist of course).

EDIT: Oh and also, once you're ready to bring in your assets, think about lighting, which should also bring out your materials better. Wrong lighting can really break a scene apart (talking from experience here ;)
  • nome_sane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would defiantly take some time to flesh out the "story" that you are trying to tell. It will just make every thing more believable and interesting if you consider the purpose of everything and if they make architectural sense too.

Going with the shrine theme have you thought about trying to do something different but on the same theme. Maybe instead of a religious shrine it could be an obsessed persons flat where they have turned it into a shrine of someone they are stalking. Or Just make the focus of the dedications be something original or unusual?
    As there is a lot of fantasy style stuff like this about.

Also one of my favorite bits in mirrors edge is where you go into the janitors office after seeing a handwritten sign outside which said something is out of order. And on their desk are loads of draft versions where they worded it differently and spelled it wrong etc.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Prophecies wrote: »
    That's an interesting point. If most game companies use an in-house engine, won't something done in unreal *not* impress them since they aren't using unreal at all?

Like everyone else said, getting things into a game engine is definitely a plus. There's also a ton of studios using the Unreal Engine.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god I love you.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, but you should really send the beer to Jeremy.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Then cheers to Jeremy it is!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the double post, but this is somwhat of an update.
    So I had a discussion with my teachers and a few lead art directors.
    Here is the deal. In about a month (I am in a game design school right now), we will have a team project to work on. I will be the environment artist for my team. The goal is to make a playable map in Unreal Editor from scratch (need to make environment, characters, everything).

I would be putting the props and environment that I will be making for the project in my portfolio. However, they say my main personal project (My demoreel) should be rendered in max. Therefore, my portfolio will include max renders, and in-engine realtime renders, showing I know how to use both programs.

I'm honestly stumped. These guys aren't fools, they know their stuff, but then again, most of the people I've talked to tell me it is better to make everything in realtime...

Could it be because this won't be a simple reel where there are props on a turntable? I plan to have particle effects, sound, animated trees in a medium sized environment. And I will be bringing this in After Effects/ Combustion for compositing.

So which would it be? Unreal or Max for final demoreel render?
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    You want to work solely with games? Then real time for sure.

If I was a recruiter or art lead at a games company looking though your reel, I'd rather see that you are able to make something look good in a game like manner than make it look good with fancy offline render features which might not correspond with how games work.

Did you ask your teachers how they reason? I'm curious to know :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using Max to render turnarounds of your models is fine, from an employer's perspective. As long as your artwork is easy to see. I just want to see if you have talent and can use 3d and 2d software to create art that is game-ready.

What programs you use, for any end of the process, is not nearly as important as your general artistic skill. That's about 90% of the deal-breaker right there.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    hey, maybe later when i have more time i'll write out a more thorough post on the topic, but i can offer one quick bit of advice. The 'reel' portion, if it includes an animated flythrough of your environment, is a waste of time. (Especially in max, where the time spent learning how to organize and composite your frames can eat up a huge chunk of time that could be spent just making assets and polishing.)

I don't think I'm wrong in saying most devs don't give a shit about your reel. Give them some nice looking stills that convey your environment in a few succinct pictures, saving your own, and their time.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    So I went to talk to my teacher regarding why Max was recommended. And
    their point of view makes sense. Simply put, there will be a portion
    of my reel that will contain pieces rendered realtime in unreal,
    showing that I know how to use Unreal.

The scene that will contain the
    fly-through of my main environment would be done in max to show that I
    know how to use Max's rendering tools/Mental ray/Vray. The reason? I'm
    not limiting myself strictly to the game industry. I am opening myself
    to the 3D industry as a whole. Giving me more chances at landing a job
    if, say, a company that makes game cinematics wants to hire me because
    of my exceptional use of mental ray and Max Particle effects (this is just an example).

Also, once I graduate, I will make another
    reel with the same scene but done entirely in unreal. Therefore, I
    will have a reel that is game-oriented and another that is
    film-oriented. In my online portfolio, when I take screenshots of
    environment stills, I will ensure that those stills are rendered
    realtime.

P.S. The whole reason I am making a demoreel is because of the school I am attending. It is part of the final project. My school has a partnership with many game companies in the country, and sends off their best demoreels directly to the company dev, with backup ensuring that the school knows that the demoreels they send are top knotch.
    Does this answer some questions as to why I am making a reel?
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    If I may ask...what school are you going to my good sir? Everyone have given you their own prospective and both of them are correct.

Here 50% of the PC members would use just the 3ds max to build their portfolio and the rest would use 3ds max and UDK. There isnt any right answer to "which one will be better for me" but learning UDK along with 3ds max and perhaps a little coding in C++ or C# (.25% of the pc population uses code) is a plus.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am attending the Desgraff Institute. It is a small school in Sherbrooke, Canada that is expanding quickly. They are opening up a new school in Toronto, and another in Montreal.
    I do plan on using UDK, since I am already very familiar with Unreal. However, for my demoreel, I will follow the advice I was given here in school. But for everything else, unreal will be used for the stills and props. The advice I was given here on Polycount has been an invaluable asset. Thank you so much everyone!
  • G3L
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    G3L polycounter lvl 9
    After so many times of dealing with this topic throughout, what I've learned is if you've got quality work no matter where you rendered it, you're showing promise and talent and if you need to learn a new program, workflow or anything like that, it shouldn't take you long to learn. You'd be surprised there are willing people who want to help people out. But that's getting off topic a bit.

I'd say whatever and wherever your shots come out looking good, do it there and for the most part focus on stills if you're an environment artist. There's really no need for a reel although it helps in some cases but not all. Just make some good work, show that you have a knack for materials, modelling and lighting and it's all gravy from there I'd say.