Home Technical Talk

Is my Max 2010 messed up or is this what people deal with?

CJE
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CJE polycounter lvl 13
I've been using Max 2010 for a bit now, and so far I'm having nothing but issues with it.

I'm not even talking about the terrible performance, slow load times, but the crashes and bugs.

I find it literally impossible to get through a single project without a myriad of technical bugs/glitches. Not only that, Max crashes on me frequently, at least a few times an hour, causing me to lose work even with incremental saves.

I get tons of little annoying bugs such as faces flipping, max creating polygons on its own inside my models, attach function not working at all, selecting sub-object crashing the program.

And whats worse, the more I use the program the worse my performance gets. I could be working with a 2 million poly model in max really smoothly, then when im working on a 30,000k model, the program is insanely slow, takes 10 minutes to make a save, and 20-30 seconds to do any functions, even on a low-poly model!

What is going on! Argh!

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    !!, Sir. CJE, will you be kind enough to state your CPU spec, RAM and the far most important Graphix card spec?

*I would reset the 3ds max 2010 entirely if I were you, and see if the problem still remains*
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Intel Q6600 Quad Core
    e-VGA 8800 GT Ultra
    Windows 7 x64
    4 GB DDR3

Ive restarted max and my PC to no avail.

Right now, its taking about 20-30 seconds to REMOVE a turbosmooth modifier off a mesh around 30,000k tris...

Takes about 3 minutes to make a save file.... and the rotation of the viewport is hella slow, even on these low poly type models....

This isnt including all the bugs and crashes I'm getting.

My total scene has only 300,000 triangles with all meshes and it takes about 20 seconds to select a mesh.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    I must agree about bugs...... I have been using max 2010 in a Virtual machine (on a hackintosh) so I expected slowness..
    But it cnstantly crashes (I am only working on a 650 poly model) and for some reason undo just stops working. Such a pain when you make progress and need to undo one small thing.
  • TheBat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheBat polycounter lvl 10
    I haven't had a single crash so far, though the performance is quite bad. I use it with a laptop attached to an external monitor, this seems to be a bit of the problem. I also hate it that my materials are not reloading automatically.

It's not that buggy, just rather slow for me.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Never install a 3dsMax release before Service pack 1 is out. Do that, be happy!
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    remember that max isn't official supported on windows 7 yet so you can expect some issues. like pior said install service pack and hotfixes, and install latest drivers for graphics card and set windows 7 display options to best performance.

max 2010 runs sweet for me and many others so it could be down to ghosts in your machine
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (Oh and yeah I forgot - never run a new windows OS before the next one is out - it should be commons sense, RIIIIGHT)
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It doesn't sound like your problems are too common, I can't say I've ever had to wait 20-30 seconds to remove a turbosmooth modifier.

You've got pretty much the same setup as me apart from the DDR3 Ram, I'm running DDR2 and max works pretty smoothly here.

Sorry I can't be of more help but all I can suggest to do are the usual things like latest drivers for gfx card, try reinstalling, etc. Have you tried changing the driver settings in max?
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I've been using Max 2010 for a bit now and it works just fine here. I would say maybe try a reinstall (like others have stated), check all your drivers (not just the graphics card one, check your chipset ones too). I've actually had a few issues with programs before, updated my mobo bios, and they stopped so try that too haha.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Never really had any probs with max2010 tbh! And yes, I only started using with SP1.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    I dont have any of the hotfixes or the SP installed os maybe i'll try doing that.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Service packs didnt help.

When editing a mesh up close, my frame rate drops to .227... lol
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: Not installing Windows 7, but instead Vista is an astronomically stupid idea.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasnt talking about not installing it, I meant - if a workstation works fine, there is no reason to switch to a new os or app release until threads like this one are solved and in the past!

Just common sense :P
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    pior wrote: »
    I wasnt talking about not installing it, I meant - if a workstation works fine, there is no reason to switch to a new os or app release until threads like this one are solved and in the past!

Just common sense :P

Same old, same old is boring. When new stuff comes out you have to live on the edge and give it a try! :p

However I am usually very lucky when it comes to stuff like this. I am never the guy who gets tons of bugs or crashes or bad hardware.

I've had no troubles running Max2010 on a rig slightly worse than yours, CJE. Besides the fact that it's a generally bloated program and takes 2 or 3 times longer to boot than Maya...