Home General Discussion

Stock investment / trading

TSM
TSM
Folks,

I'm looking into investing / trading in a multitude of areas. Seems about the right time to do so.

I like the way google, apple, steam, activision-blizzard, and a few other companies are heading and want to hop on those. I know of a few health based companies like MonaVie and Vemma that seem to do well, but those always seem to fizzle out after a decade.

What stocks / mutual funds / etc do you all invest in? Do you manage it alone using online software or go through a broker?

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    My best success was when I didn't know anything about what I was getting.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I told my dad 12 months ago to buy apple when he was looking at stocks to buy (I hate apple as a company but their stock does well and they have a following) turned out to be his best investment.

I'd rather invest in smaller game studios.
  • TSM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TSM
    Good point about the smaller game studios. Any suggestions?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ZacD wrote: »
    I told my dad 12 months ago to buy apple when he was looking at stocks to buy (I hate apple as a company but their stock does well and they have a following) turned out to be his best investment.

I'd rather invest in smaller game studios.

I bought apple stock last year at ~180. it dropped to 160. I sold it and used the money to go to china for two weeks. the stock then dropped all the way to 70. f them.
  • ZacD
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ZacD wrote: »

yeah, exactly! what a crock. nov 2008, it was at 82. glad I bailed in time. funny enough, the rest of the market was doing really poorly too!!!!!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Good luck buying Google stock. You're a bit late on that train, hehe. They go for about $530/share right now. Best time to have bought in Google was Sept 3, 2004, where it traded at $100/share :)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    But if you had bought them at $70, you'd be making a killing right now. Apple is trading at $190!

It really depends on how much money you have and what your goals are. For instance, if you want a steady climber, and have a decent amount to invest, buy google. They've been experiencing almost constant growth, but they're trading at over $500/share, so you need to invest a lot of money to really make it worth your time.

For me, I've been in a lot of automotive and financial. I'm looking for quick turnover of my money right now, so I can build up a lot of money to transition into long term.
    So, what I do is listen for bad news. Then I watch the company's stock for a major drop. I'm mainly focused on percentage of losses, rather than dollar amounts. So, for instance, Toyota is having a HUGE problem with their cars accelerating. There will be a new recall eventually, but at the moment, they aren't selling cars and they are getting major bad press. Their stock has dropped (though not as much as I'd expect). I have no doubt they will recover from this, so I basically wait until it looks like the drop has hit bottom, then buy it. Within a few days, the bad news will go away, and the stock will return to its original value.

Autodesk is another one to keep an eye on. I bought them at a previous drop, then they climbed enough for me to make a few hundred bucks off them. Now they are down again. Long term, I think Autodesk has a good chunk of their market, so I think it will return. Get them cheap now, then sit on them for a long time.

Right now is an excellent time to buy stocks because of this crappy economy. Once things turn around, all these companies will either have died, or will return stronger than ever (and more profitable).

For me, I'm waiting for GM to relist. I still believe in them as a company, and it would be like buying them back when they originally listed :D
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I have about 3% of my weekly paycheck going into Media and Telecommunications and Emerging European and Mediterranean Funds. This is an IRA of course, but it's been doing pretty well. Really comes in handy when I need to make a big emergency purchase (although they tax the shit out of it).
  • TSM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TSM
    Great information everyone. Thanks!

Are there pretty straightfoward ways to trade? Any companies you trust, or have software that is pretty helpful for it?
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I do all my stock and investments with T. Rowe Price. Again, I'm not into trading a lot, I move money around every once and awhile, but they have AWESOME customer service if you have any questions.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I use Scottrade for trading. It's cheap, and so far, I haven't found any hidden fees.

As an example, my coworker uses ETrade, and just last week, was charged $40 for inactivity. So, basically, for sitting on stocks that are performing well, or waiting for a stock to recover, results in a $40 fee. Funny though, they said they would reverse the charges as soon as he said he was going to withdraw his account.

Oh, and Scottrade only requires you to have $500 in the account (some what several thousand to open an account). They also offer some decent tools for info.