Home Technical Talk

Help with a research project - Concept art for a game character

Hi all im new here and im currently in my final year doing a Games design Course at University. As such i have a research dissertation to complete and a part of this covers research into how a character has been made for a game. Now i can find plenty of documentation on the actual 3D workflows once a character concept has been made but its the process or workflow involved in the creation of the concept art that im in need of help with. So if any one can help shed light on this process or indeed any links to reputable sources such as art/scientific papers or even just to fellow artists that have documented it i would be eternally grateful.

Now just to clarify im looking towards information regarding the start of creating a game character concept. Such as how it refers to game documentation and the like. Thanks again. :thumbup:

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    How can you be in a final year and write about something you don't know? To me finals were always about a summary of what one learned of course with some new research.

If you really must take it from the web maybe have a look at the cgtalk interviews and alike websites. They usually interview the artists and ask those kind of questions. But honestly I think it should be from a person and not some net source, like ask yourself or a person you can interview.

My professors always were really strict with this because only if it means work for you it's worth at all.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    Hard to cover in a forum, but I can try to hit some high points (I'm also not using any images which is anathema to me, but there it is).

Drawing is great. Every good designer can draw, but drawing is a skill that can be learned with a willingness to practice. A lot.

Creativity
    on the other hand is not a skill, but it can be learned.

Part I: Process
    Start with a basic creative process. The process below (or a variation of it) is common to most design and
    is often used because it is extremely powerful and flexible. However, using or regarding it as the Design Process is misguided, because using only one process exclusively is counterproductive and limiting. Still, it saddens me how many designers overlook process and either take off on only one idea, and/or just wait for inspiration to strike them from out of the blue. Successful designers can be creative on demand, for long periods of time, for someone other than themselves, and for very little money...uh, wait.

Problem:
    What is the problem? How is it defined? Can it be re-defined? Criteria?

Some Sort of Startup Activity:
    Brainstorming, ideation, exploration, analysis, research, etc. (Be careful of using so-called research to avoid actually designing.)

Generation:
    Creation of varied and alternative ideas. These ideas are usually communicated in a preliminary form such as sketches or mockups. They should include true alternatives, not just slight variations. For example, alternatives to a typical mousetrap: get a cat, burn down the house, put food in the neighbor's house, make mice sterile, live cleanly, learn to live with the mice, etc.

Evaluation:
    How well are the generated design concepts meeting or solving the problem?

Selection:
    Choosing design concepts (usually, but not always, based on the evaluation phase) to further explore and develop.

Development/Refinement:
    How can the initial concepts be improved and tweaked? All the small but important changes that can make the concepts better.

Implementation:
    Creation of prototypes and/or finished sketches/models, etc.

Evaluation:
    Same as the evaluation phase above, but note the cyclic nature of the process.

Wash, rinse, repeat. We really never stop designing (lessen' maybe when we're dead).

Bibliography (in no way comprehensive):
    • Van Oech, A Whack on the Side of the Head
    • Koberg, The Universal Traveler
    • Hanks, Design Yourself!, Wake Up Your Creative Genius, Getting Your Message Across
    • De Bono, Lateral Thinking
    • Mckim, Experiences in Visual Thinking, Thinking Visually : A Strategy Manual for Problem Solving
    • Gordon, Synectics
    • Papanek, Design for the Real World
    • Wallschlaeger and Busic-Snyder, Basic Visual Concepts and Principles for Artists, Architects and Designers
    • Hannah, Elements of Design: Rowena Reed Kostellow and the Structure of Visual Relationships
    • Normon, The Design of Everyday Things
    • Lidwell, Holden, and Butler, Universal Principles of Design
    • Benyus, Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature
    • Abrahamson and Freedman, A Perfect Mess
    • Rippon, Sex Design

I can post more parts specific to game asset design later, or will stop if I'm being a windbag. But I'm truly interested in this subject, especially what others have to offer on it.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    renderhjs wrote: »
    How can you be in a final year and write about something you don't know? To me finals were always about a summary of what one learned of course with some new research.

Its pretty common with game design courses in the UK. My final year project was definitely not a summary of things I learnt, it was instead the things I wished I had learnt which is why I chose that topic, and why most people choose theirs.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Yozora wrote: »
    Its pretty common with game design courses in the UK. My final year project was definitely not a summary of things I learnt, it was instead the things I wished I had learnt which is why I chose that topic, and why most people choose theirs.

Thats really sad, it should be way different. Not sure how long most of those take but my bachelor lasted 4 Years (8 semesters) and it was definitely short compared to the former diploma scheme where it was usually 10 semesters. But at least I learned a shit load of stuff especially lots of basics like anatomy, drawing, design philosophy / psychology.
    I had interviews with lots of game studios but my usual impression and response was that bachelor applicants are not on such a good stance simply because most are way to unexperienced. So most of them are seeking experienced people, people that worked for other game studios before or have shipped some titles.

back to topic:
    Why not interview someone from the community or a few people, get some specific input and give your work something unique that can't be done by simply copy pasting from the web. Just PM them and ask them if they would be able/ willing to give input on specifics of your theme.
    That should give you something unique and worthy.
  • Megabiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

back to topic:

Why not interview someone from the community or a few people, get some specific input and give your work something unique that can't be done by simply copy pasting from the web. Just PM them and ask them if they would be able/ willing to give input on specifics of your theme.
    That should give you something unique and worthy.
    Great idea thanks, ill try and get one sorted out soon and ask for volunteers that can help me out.

At Yozora - I just had a quick look at your profile and realised that i had been shown your work in class by our lecturer (Gregg). Small world indeed.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I actually "discovered" Polycount and chose to focus on game art because of Greg :)

A couple of years ago when I was doing my FYP I also signed up to Polycount and posted a survey here. Didn't get any responses though :p