Home General Discussion

research Disertation Questionair - Looking for a moment of your time

Well im currently working on a research disertation project and i would like any kind folks with game model construction to take a few moments and fill out my questionair below. The research is asking about the workflows used by game developers when creating a character asset for a game. I would like to thank any one that takes part as this is towards my games design degree and will be of great use.

If you have any questions please contact me with a PM.

Removed the links for Google docs, and the rapid share. Inserted the link for the online survey.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MW7VZTG

Replies

• Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    link doesnt work, you missed a "h" in http

http://rapidshare.com/files/338522144/Questionnaire_on_the_Workflows_used_in_the_games_industry_for_creating_a_character_game_asset.docx.html

Also even if it did work, most people aren't gonna bother downloading it especially from somewhere like rapidshare.
    And even if they did bother, like I just did, they might run into this message;

"Currently a lot of users are downloading files. Please try again in 2 minutes or become a Premium member

Please note, the server is not going to check again within the next 2 minutes if downloading is possible again. To provide a fair platform, all user get the same options. Your last attempt was 100 seconds ago."

which will definitely make them give up.

Suggestion; use google docs or any other web doc alternative, or use dropbox/alternatives all of which are free and infinitely better than sites like rapidshare.
  • Megabiv
    Thanks i'll get that sorted asap.

Edit: I have now put it up on google docs for easier download. Cheers again for the help.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    if I can make a suggestion, I think you'll get more responses if you made it an online form or something like that, where people just type the answers (or wherever possible just use checkboxes) and hit send, rather than downloading, filling in and emailing back.
  • Tom Ellis
    I agree with Rooster,

I clicked the link and was ready to take the questions, but then realised I gotta download / email back etc, and lost all interest entirely.

I think there's sites that can generate custom surveys/forms that you can link to and then see the results and answers given.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    I think there's sites that can generate custom surveys/forms that you can link to and then see the results and answers given.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/
  • km00
    Offline / Send Message
    km00 polycounter lvl 17
    You can even use Google Docs itself. It's got a pretty nice Form document that lets you create a survey and even tabulates it for you in a Google Spreadsheet (and even summarizes results in graphs). I've used it twice before for thesis surveys.

To create it, go to Google Docs and on the top left click 'Create new' > 'Form'
  • Megabiv
    Cheers for the contributions all, i'll get this questionnaire right eventually ;).

Right, i've done it on the web now so hopefully i can start getting some info from you lot. Let me know if it doesn't work (or if i've done something stupid).

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/MW7VZTG
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    justt.... throwing this out there..

my technique changes from project to project depending on the needs. truth be told, i don't particularly care how i do things anymore.. I just figure out what i need to do and do them in a way that'lll get me the best results. it wouldn't quite be accurate to suggest that I've got a method in particular.

like, when i started understanding how to represent form on a model using lineflow, i justtttt go ahead and do that. I could start with a cube, a sphere, a strip of polies, or a mangled ass chaotic mesh. it doesn't really matter, because i know what needs to be there.

not sure if this is you, but be careful that you're not looking for a sequence of steps to follow that will forgive you, or someone else, the responsibility of having to learn a particular discipline. I don't think this works. when you understand the system, you can operate, and it doesn't matter how you do things.

that's my 2 cents. dunno if that's what you're going for though.. so if not, good luck with your survey..
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    make sure you spell dissertation correctly when you submit it( and questionnaire too) :)
  • Megabiv
    Ruz wrote: »
    make sure you spell dissertation correctly when you submit it( and questionnaire too) :)

Thanks for the heads up, but its been a tough week :)
  • Megabiv
    Well its been a while but thanks to those that filled the questionnaire in, and even more kudos to the few that filled in all of it.