Home Technical Talk

Learn how to increase speed of CS4!!!

mod
so, CS4 is clunky... we all know it. especially flash. a guy in my class figured out how to speed it up, so anyone that doesnt know this trick, enjoy...

-open the program of your choice that you find clunky
-press ctrl + alt + delete
-go to task manager
-find the program in the processes list
-right click the program and go to set affinity...
-uncheck half of the processors

thats it... it will speed it up. it also speeds up movies and flash games through the internet if you do it to your browser window.

at school, it usually has 16 processors checked, so i uncheck 8 of them. at home, it runs faster, but i only have 4 processors.

lemme know if this helps any of you

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    it also helps to install the last update (PS in my case some weeks ago) and to install the latest GPU drivers (again PS related). Even though PS still flickers every now and then and stutters now and then it is already a fair bit as the way it ships.
    There is also a tool to unregister and thereby unload certain plugins to speed up the loading time. (can't find it atm. but there should be a thread somewhere). Other tricks:
    • disable and block version cue
    • disable font preview (in the settings)
    • set main swap disk on a fast hd

And the best trick I discovered so far:
    - revert back to PS CS2 ;)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Before everyone goes out and tries this, can someone explain what "Set Affinity" actually does?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    MoP wrote: »
    Before everyone goes out and tries this, can someone explain what "Set Affinity" actually does?

The Processor Affinity setting controls which CPUs the process will be allowed to execute on.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Interesting, the IT guy at work told me to do so on my new machine recently (I think)
    But isnt the whole point of multicore to have have all this happen automatically behind the scenes? So confusing!
  • Vonklaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unless a program is built to utilize the multiple core features of some CPU's then setting the affinity to a single core is a good performance bump!

Good thing to bring this up Slipsius!
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ya, it just tells the program which processors will actually work with the program.

some programs are build to utilize multi-cores, but not as many as some computers have, so it ends up slowing it down. its a quick fix, and doesnt screw anything up with everything else. if anything, it takes the load off for other things, like multi-tasking Poly count in the background ;)
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I used PS CS4 for about a week, the text tool would take minutes to just come up after I hit the tool. Maybe this will help. I've been using CS3 ever since :) Thanks for the tip!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NIce, I will definitely have to try this one.

I use set affinity when I'm rendering with mental ray in 3ds max, I have a quad core here so unticking one processor lets me do other things smoothly while max renders away. Otherwise I can barely browse the internet.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That helped a bit thanks.

I also found out that if images take a while to open it might be a conflict with the network printer, try setting your default printer to "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" or remove all printer connections if you never print anything.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Vig wrote: »
    That helped a bit thanks.

I also found out that if images take a while to open it might be a conflict with the network printer, try setting your default printer to "Microsoft XPS Document Writer" or remove all printer connections if you never print anything.

That and if you have any mapped network drives, I've noticed that too. It will kill you're program if you try to open or save anything.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what helped for me the most (painting), was update the wacom drivers - they had a special update on performence issues with cs4 and at least that's not lagging anymore on that front.
  • swytch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swytch polycounter lvl 8
    Vig:
    Once again, you are the man! Having every image--even tiny ones--take a loooong time to open recently started plaguing me in CS3 and nothing I (and our competent but overworked IT staff) tried could fix it. Thanks for this!

Anyone:
    I just got a new Intuos4 Medium. I've been using an older Cintiq 18, but wanted something that is portable and has tilt sensitivity. The Int4 is great for the most part, but the eraser and tilt sensitivity do not work (XP 32, CS3). I installed the drivers that came with the Int4, but no luck. It also doesn't seem to have as good a pressure sensitivity as the Cintiq 18, on which the eraser does work and pressure sensitivity is good.

I've had the eraser occasionally stop working on the Cintiq 18, but either a PS restart or a Wacom Tablet Service stop and restart fixes it. No luck with the Int4.

I tested the Int4 with CS2, but no luck. I then tested it on one of our classroom machines (XP32 CS4). It works great, and the pressure sensitivity is better, so it is not the Int4 hardware. I suppose I could try CS4 on the home rig, but I'm trying to avoid it.

I've tried various combos of settings in the Wacom Tablet Properties on the home rig for the Int4, but still no luck. I tried making the PS prefs Read Only, and other suggestions from the many Polycount threads devoted to tablet issues. I even looked at the Wacom_Tablet.dat file to see if I could spot something, but nothing stood out (not surpising, I'm an art guy). Any help would be appreciated.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Try different drivers. I'm in the US and I use an Intuos3, but the majority of the time I go for the European drivers because they seem to be updated more frequently.
  • Parkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    carlo_c wrote: »
    NIce, I will definitely have to try this one.

I use set affinity when I'm rendering with mental ray in 3ds max, I have a quad core here so unticking one processor lets me do other things smoothly while max renders away. Otherwise I can barely browse the internet.

If there is anyone around still rendering stuff on a single core CPU a trick with similar results is lowering the priority of the rendering process. This will more or less only let the rendering run when the CPU would otherwise be idle.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks all for the tips, very helpful! Does anyone know if there's a way to se the affinity of a program so that it STAYS that way even when I close and re-open the software? It's kinda lame to do it all again everytime :/