Home Technical Talk

Sometimes photoshop forgets that my tablet can do SENSITIVITY!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
sampson polycounter lvl 9
Hi,
i'm having this problem with my photoshop cs3 where occasionally when i open it, it will not have any levels of sensitivity from my tablet. only 1's or 0's. then i'll have to continually close photoshop, open it, test my tablet. and rinse and repeat until it eventually loads with the ability to measure the sensitivity. Its getting abit annoying as i will have to try about 5 times before it works...

I've installed the latest drivers from wacom for my windows 7 64bit machine.
Any suggestions??

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Often, stealing focus from the splash screen causes that loss of sensitivity.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I have the same problem, even if it doesn't happen that often.

if there's an 100% fix for this .. I would be very interested in...
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    close and restart ps?
    I noticed that on my intuos4 which has a loose USB cable (unlike intuos2 series which is fixed) I can just plug out the cable directly at the tablet and plug it back it- in many cases stuff got reinitialized for me then.
  • TheBat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheBat polycounter lvl 10
    Yep, exactly the same problem here. It sucks kinda hard.

The only thing that works for me is resetting the wacom preference files and after that sometimes a reboot. Allthough this is not the most favorable way it should work, it works and fixes it everytime consistently.

Hope this helps for you as well!

Cheers.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    same, I never found a fix either.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    My Bamboo does that a lot, I have to reset my config files. I don't know if other Wacoms have this same feature, but I have to do this:

Start>>Programs>>Pen Tablet>>Pen Tablet Preference File Utility>>Remove under both options.

This seems to help, I don't have any weird preferences saved so I dont have anything to lose when I do this. If you did have you're tablet set up with a lot of different options, I would use that backup feature right after you get it set up as you like it...
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Same here, but it only happens when I maximise another program when Photoshop is starting up. I never have the issue if I just patiently look at the loading screen... Photoshop is like a woman, it demands your undivided attention or it turns hostile.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep happens to me too. There was an elaborate set of instructions you could follow to restart the service but its not worth it. Like Poir said let it load up fully before doing anything else. But even then sometimes when I leave and come back to photoshop, the sensitivity is suddenly missing.

I haven't given this a try, normally I just restart photoshop.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?p=1637560
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    The main things that happen to me are, I lose my sensitivity and the damn eraser stops working (it thinks both sides of my pen are for drawing). I'll have to remember that tip about leaving photoshop alone while SHE starts up :P
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Happens to me sometimes too and also the brush cursors dissappear so you can't paint, closing and restarting usually solves the issue but every now and again a system restart is required. It seems to happen when I use Wavelab or another application like Premiere that has sound funtionality, not sure why.
    Anyway this o/s is due to be reinstalled very soon as it has been brutalised quite a bit, that is probably half the battle.
  • willy-wilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    ive had this happen quite a bit, if you open photoshop with the tablet, ie just double click the shortcut with the tablet it works fine. idk why :/
  • JohnnySix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnySix polycounter lvl 16
    I get it in flash and with PS, though usually if I've forgotten to plug the tablet in (it has to fight for a cable between a card reader and an external HD ) while the app is loading, as long as it's plugged in (and like mentioned ) just sit for a few seconds for the program to load, there's usually no issue.

Annoying that you have to shut down and reload to get it to work though. :poly117:
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I usually have to restart PS if that happens. If it doesn't fix it, unplugging/replugging usually does it.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Oddly, while I had that happen to me from time to time in XP, I have YET to have it happen to me in Vista...
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Happens all the time, mostly weekly for me, I just restart photoshop, wish i shouldn't have to, but that's the only workaround I know.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Same here....
    Usually happen when I start Photshop and Maya at the same time...
    ... or when I close and open my laptop too lot of time without shutdown...
    ... sometime need to reboot the computer... or only photoshop...
    ... or just choosing a new brush with right button in the list it will make the intuos working again :D