Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Trekkers - A Texture Painting Exercise

LMP
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
LMP polycounter lvl 13
Hello Polycount! I've been lurking here for several months, getting inspired to do some more art, if only I wasn't 400 miles from my PC with the tools I need, only 2.5 more weeks...

Well, here's something I "finished" several weeks ago. It was an exercise in texture painting, the base model was provided by Dabu, everything else was done by me.

It took about 3 weeks, I spent 1 week working on the designs and at least 2 weeks texturing all 7 characters, while doing work for three other classes. So, here it is, my Trekkers. (Based on the Kid Robot Munny Form)

At this time, these are thing I know I could improve: Define the Form of the Faces, Detail Ears, The hair could use some work.

This project had quite a few firsts for me. It was completely photo-source free, my first highly stylized work, and my first attempt at unwrapping UVs for a character.

trekkers1130.jpg
leifpetersontrekkersbea.jpg
leifpetersontrekkersbre.jpg

This last image is a close up that really lets you see the shirt details, from an earlier stage of the project.
progress06.jpg

Oh yeah, bonus points if you can identify who each one is.

Replies

• Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    hi :)

they are so cute, I love the design :poly142:

Couple things :

- I don't know for what purpose are those characters or if you care about tri count, but 2000 tris per character seems to be very high to me... I'm sure you could down the tri count to 500, even less, without losing any details ^^

- I see on these uv maps that you did change the hair style, but why only hair ? You could have made variations of Tshirts too. It looks very repetitive on your screenshots (even with color variation).

- Your cloth textures are very clean whereas the hair seems a bit rushed (sketchy skin->hair outline)

Kinda reminds me the Wii characters but 100 times better ^^
    Keep it up :)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Your shading on the skin is very subtle. It's almost invisible on the group shot. If you were to up the contrast significantly, I think your characters would look a bit more solid.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    here comes da pain!

need more of a sideburn look on the hair now most of them look like their hair is shaved up over their ears and does not look good, you may have it in the actual texture, i can kinda see it on spock, but it needs to be visible when viewing from the front,

the hair textures need a lot of work, looks like scribly straw, and the dark color near the hairline makes it look like a wig, maybe a more sylized hair would fit this look better,

not a fan of how detailed the shirt texture is and how simple the rest of the body is. the shirt textre is sharp and crisp, and i like that, but the ammount od detail in the cloth is overkil i think compaired to the head and hair,,

eyebrows are like furry catterpillers,, maybe more stylized?

paint some lighting in the characters or render it with some in the scene, they are way over fullbright,

neat idea tho and despite all my comments, it has promise to be a neat piece
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a subtle falloff or rim lighting would help to boost the design i believe.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like most of the concepts, most adhere to the likeness pretty well and are easily discernable (for me). The hardest ones to make out just by looking at them i think would be chris pine and Simon pegg, everyone else seems spot on,

regarding the 3d, same story for most of it, but i think the sulu lost something in translation, skin tone and hair changed for the worse
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    awesome so far. skin is too washed out, but nice overall