Home Technical Talk

Turning MEGATHREAD's in to sub-forums, please read.

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Hey everyone,

We're shooting an idea around for Technical Talk that will involve us dissolving our MEGATHREADS in to their very own sub-forums of Technical Talk. The idea is that our MEGATHREADS are growing really fast and good information is getting lost in the fray.

It will be navigated by loading TT, then loading the sub-forum. This will give each major engine (read: each MEGATHREAD topic) a place to be organized, searched, and updated without having to remember which page that nugget of information you wanted to remember was on.

As an example, the sub-forums would be:
  • Unreal Developer's Kit
  • Source Engine
  • idTech
  • Crysis Sandbox
  • Marmoset
  • xNormal
  • WhateverelseIammissingbuttoolazytogobackandcheck

This won't be happening on this iteration of Polycount, but rather on the new site when it launches.

I just wanted to give a heads-up on the idea and gauge interest in it.

Thank you :)

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, I think this is a great idea (duh).
    Those "Master Threads" are full of good information, but they're always growing and they're much harder to browse through than a full forum with specific threads with pointed questions and answers.
  • jocose
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    One thing we could do with these threads, is mark them as such:

"Q:How do I export a model for Crysis?"

Thread titles could be renamed based on the original issue. Or we could strictly enforce a naming convention like this so we dont have things like "UGH ue3 is being a jerk!!!" as titles. This keeps it clean and easy for anyone to find a thread that might interest them.
  • throttlekitty
    How about a Max/Maya/Mudbox/Zbrush subforum? Heck, normal mapping gets enough threads to warrant its own section these days.
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    Marmoset and others definitely need their own wiki or something.
  • danshewan
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome - great idea to give them their own sub-forum, and some kind of naming convention would make things easier for everyone.
    Slum wrote: »

Thread titles could be renamed based on the original issue. Or we could strictly enforce a naming convention like this so we dont have things like "UGH ue3 is being a jerk!!!" as titles. This keeps it clean and easy for anyone to find a thread that might interest them.

Great idea.

So much of the valuable information in those threads is hard to find, and with multiple issues / topics covered on each page, this kind of organization would make the gold easier to find.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Very good idea Slum.
    Slum wrote: »

• Michael Knubben
    Another great idea: give wiki-accounts to those that asked.
  • Cyrael
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I think this is a great idea as well.. I've been wanting to dive into both unreal and marmoset but find it daunting to scavenge through all the pages to find the tid bit of info i was looking for.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Slum, heh, I do that already if the thread titles are too cryptic.
    But yeah, definitely organising them along those lines make 100% sense.
  • SideEffect
    Offline / Send Message
    SideEffect polycounter lvl 19
    That would be an awesome idea!
  • achillesian
    don't forget the audio forum
  • Mark Dygert
    As long as it doesn't become CGTalk with so many crazy sub forums it takes 10x as long to navigate, I'm all for it. I swear I have my own sub forum there only I can't find it...

If you guys start separating by app I think we'll have problems as some of what could be generic questions and handled by users of other software would go unanswered as they don't check every sub-forum for software they don't use.

I know this isn't what you guys are aiming for, as most of the mods and all of the admins have voiced the same concern back when we switched from the old board set up, so I'm not too worried about it just want to make sure that its still part of PC's DNA not to be a copy cat.

Long story short, functionally I think its brilliant, go go go!
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I totally agree with Vig on the fact that having sub forums for things like Max and Maya will add to many sub forums in itself and lots of that valuable cross information will get lost.

I do think having a continuation of "How do you model dem shapes" the hardsurface Mega thread would make good sub forums. And another for organics with Zbrush and Mudbox.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I think UnrealEd and UDK can be together, there is so much overlap between the two. Also naming the thread properly will hopefully remove the redundancy of the questions, and make it easier to freakin' search.

As for subforum ideas? Can we have one for Google?
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I was just thinking we should do that, well sort of. I was thinking about how people go ask for how to get started with modeling, texturing, environment art, etc. I thought a way to handle it would be to make a sub forum or forum and have it called Check here first, and put all the mega threads there. So any thread that becomes huge like the normal mapping thread can be created when it's big enough and one of the mods moves it to the new forum as needed. I don't think each tool needs a sub forum though, but who knows. We should bring back a hardware section.
  • throttlekitty
    I was thinking more about my suggestion for a tool subforum today. I like Tech Talk as it is right now, I've seen/had lots of progress and learning from not having segregated subforums like CGTalk; seeing how the 'other crowd' does things helps quite a bit.

What was fresh on my mind was that I had just come across a solution to a Maya annoyance, and thought "hey, I should pass this info along". It didn't really warrant its own topic, and megathreads are kind of a chore for sharing information past a certain post count. So I just didn't post at all.

So what about (optional) tags for forum posts? I don't know if you're looking for ideas for the new site, but it may be a good in-between solution.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    i would say YES..

BUT

this only is an advantage if it is highly moderated - threads with the exact same questions are merged or all except one will be deleted.

navigating through a whole subforum is just for its sake not more helpful then navigating through a big big thread.
    But it CAN...
  • gaganjain
    tag system in post will also come handy with repeated question/problem.While searching but some it can really tricky too...
    Edit - To ease with it If there is possible to put report button on easy post [repeated question/problem]
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think each engine could use its own sub-forum, but I wouldn't create anymore than those listed (aka xsi, maya, 3DCoat, 3DS, zbrush, mudbox, should all be in general tech talk)
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Vig/others: The sub-forums wouldn't be displayed in the main forum display (where it shows GD, P&P, etc). You'd have to navigate to Technical Talk to then see the sub-threads. That said, we agree 100%.
  • slipsius
    subforums may make it so that it takes longer to find something, as vig said. if anything, id say a search function that works would be better.make it so that each thread has to have some key words attatched to it before it can be created, then the search only searches those key words, rather than the entire forum so you get a specific list, rather than every time that word is used in every thread.

also.... new polycount site? isnt that a myth? :P
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    slipsius wrote: »
    subforums may make it so that it takes longer to find something, as vig said. if anything, id say a search function that works would be better.make it so that each thread has to have some key words attatched to it before it can be created, then the search only searches those key words, rather than the entire forum so you get a specific list, rather than every time that word is used in every thread.

also.... new polycount site? isnt that a myth? :P

pc_betasendin01.JPG
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I dislike a large lists of forums as others have mentioned. It's something I like about polycount over others. So long as it works and is easy, which in the end I'm sure it will, I'm happy.

Rather than getting extremely specific, maybe something like this:

- Technical Talk (General)
    -- Game Engines
    -- Dev Tools
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm all for trying different things and if it doesn't work breaking up even less.

Game engines/dev tools threads would have to require labels and the good ones need to be star-ed or something, like
    [UDK] [Basic Guide] to importing object and setting up materials
    [UDK] [Advanced Guide] to setting up collisions and destructible objects
    [UDK] [Q] How do I get better shadows?
  • achmedthesnake
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD - i see you have total war - rome...ever finished it?
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    That's not my pic/pc, got it from the polycount twitter.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    is this all even worth talking at all? I mean when will the new polycount site go online? Within this year? within the next 2 months?
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    renderhjs wrote: »
    is this all even worth talking at all? I mean when will the new polycount site go online? Within this year? within the next 2 months?
    I think it's worth talking about, as it takes time to set up, and no one likes going through the trouble only to see that things are more or less the same. As was mentioned I think the entire first page on Tech talk were stickies, and was getting unwieldy. Nothing wrong with planning and getting peoples opinion.

Also, there were a couple other threads (one where PC was changing servers or doing something along those lines) and another where people can use FaceTwitter while the site was down and get a sneak peak at the new one. Both indicate that things are within a couple months.
  • carlo_c
    I like the idea of forcing a naming convention when a question is asked, will make finding old info much easier than now.

I hope the wiki is integrated more into the new site and updated more frequently, so that commonly asked questions have answers easily accessible :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Lamont wrote: »
    As was mentioned I think the entire first page on Tech talk were stickies, and was getting unwieldy. Nothing wrong with planning and getting peoples opinion.
    Yep it was getting pretty bad, lots of good info but I hated scrolling down just to see the posts. Someone cleaned it up recently and condensed a lot of stuff, its much better now.

Also its not like its a change that can't be undone later so this isn't a life or death situation. I bet it will work out fine.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    renderhjs wrote: »

Of course its worth talking now. Imagine if we sprung new stuff on you guys without warning? It'd be chaos.
    You guys and your dislike for change!
    ;)

So yes, I wanted to ask now before we roll out BEFORE two months from now*.

*So help me god.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    in that case:
    1. Code formating for FX shaders, maxscript, melscripting and python scripting, or at least something that is available through the GUI of the bb.
    2. Google redirected searching (this board search functionality just uber sucks like almost any other bb.
    3. More integrated WIKI: easier access for those that deserve and ask for permission to add stuff. Also more frequent updates in it would be nice. That way it actually makes sense to refer to it.
    4. Shortcut or integration of popular image hosting service (like imageshack.us,..) or at least some links to them when posting stuff for the ones that don't know how to use FTP or don't have their own FTP server.
    5. ability to remove the fucking smiley's in code or php tags or just in general because they destroy files path examples i.e. c:\windows\system32\

I think Polycount right now already does a superb job when it comes to minimalism (colors, font size, restrictions on signatures + formating). I prefer it certainly over most other CG boards out there and the automatic resizing of to big images is also a pleasure because usually its just a few people that have the ability to tear apart readability in a single thread.
    But minimalism is always welcome so maybe check every element on the page twice, like if it is really needed or if it could be more passive.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah I'd add stuff to the wiki if it wasn't a hassle, and there needs to be a organized tutorial page or thread somewhere.
  • Tulkamir
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Uhg, sub forums, really? Am I the only one that gets annoyed at having everything split up so that it becomes a hassel. Seriously, are there enough new posts in here on a daily basis to merit splitting it up to that degree?

As is I come in every now and then and check what's up. Take a quick look on the off chance that I can help someone, that kinda thing. If I had to visit 5+ subforums to do that same thing I'd just stop. Am I the only one?

I could see splitting up some more sections for Level Design and Tech Art or something. But Unreal, Sub D modeling, etc... Too much for me. :(
  • Ben Apuna
    You can remove smiley detection with noparse tags, though they only work inside of code tags when using quick reply and not with "Go Advanced".

[noparse]C:\Windows[/noparse]
    [noparse]C:Windows[/noparse]

EDIT:

Never mind, I guess they don't work in code tags after all.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    1. Code formating for FX shaders, maxscript, melscripting and python scripting, or at least something that is available through the GUI of the bb.
    Use the Advance posting mode (not just Quick Reply). There's function in there for Code tags (right beside the Add Image button). Is this what you mean?
    1. Google redirected searching (this board search functionality just uber sucks like almost any other bb.
    The new one is working just fine. If we need to later, we can.
    1. More integrated WIKI: easier access for those that deserve and ask for permission to add stuff. Also more frequent updates in it would be nice. That way it actually makes sense to refer to it.
    The wiki is not on mine or anyone elses radar who's apart of this. It will be once the new site is up and running.
    1. Shortcut or integration of popular image hosting service (like imageshack.us,..) or at least some links to them when posting stuff for the ones that don't know how to use FTP or don't have their own FTP server.
    I do think something linking directly to Imageshack or another service like it would be nice, but really its not a concern. If you can't figure out how to get an image on the web then a message board is probably to advanced for you. (Not you specifically, speaking generally here).

That said, our new site will allow image attachments... 99% sure.

1. ability to remove the fucking smiley's in code or php tags or just in general because they destroy files path examples i.e. c:\windows\system32\
    You already can. Again, go to Advanced Reply and check off the 'Disable Smilies' box.

Tulkamir, yes. Sub-forums. While the extra click might be a demerit for you, the increase in organized thought will more than make up for it I promise.
  • crazyfingers
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Works for me! Hurry up with the new junk :D

Smiley intended
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    Code formating for FX shaders, maxscript, melscripting and python scripting, or at least something that is available through the GUI of the bb.

I suspect he means syntax coloring as well?
  • Mark Dygert
    I also think the code tags have issues with certain combination of characters?
    I remember something about it not registering lines that start with $ correctly? Maybe it was fixed?

EDIT:
    is a test

The above should read "$this is a test".
    Any word directly following a $ unless there is a space will be removed. $ is used quite a bit in maxscript and I suspect other code as well? Hopefully we can sort that out.
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 17
    advancedreplymode.jpg
    advanced reply mode eh?

i see no difference to quick post reply instead of the title bar
  • Mark Dygert
    You have your personal settings set to retarded.

Go to the top of the page, click User CP, on the left click Edit Options. Scroll down to the bottom and change "Basic editor" to "Enhanced Interface".
  • SyncViewS
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Vig wrote: »
    You have your personal settings set to retarded.

^ ROLLLF!

On a serious note, wouldn't be better to see the text within code tags rendered with monospaced characters rather than serif, like in standard programming editor?
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    monospaced
    seconding that!
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 17
    thats much better now
    (was really too much work just to make the post look rediculous)
    thanks