Home General Discussion

Alternate endings on movies

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
Spoilers for endings of butterfly effect and paranormal.

I hate them. Pick one ending, the movie should really only have one resolution. For example the butterfly effect, the directors cut ending is my favorite, goes best with the movie and theme anyways (the original theatrical one gave too much hope IMO, and too cliche, true love, etc etc) , but each ending gives off a completely different vibe and feeling to the film. Paranormal activity has had 2 endings and the dvd was released with a 3rd alternative. The main theatrical ending was the worst in my opinion, she kills the bf and goes missing the end? lame.

Oh, and why doesn't mayo come in a squeeze bottle, that really pisses me off too.

Replies

• teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    ZacD wrote: »
    Oh, and why doesn't mayo come in a squeeze bottle, that really pisses me off too.

Couldn't care less about the rest, but God help me if anyone disagrees with the statement above.

But yeah, I can't stand when two different endings are considered as canon. As silly as it sounds, I always want to know the "real" version of the story.
    To these days people argue whether Deckard was an android or not, and that pisses me off nearly as much as mayo in non-squezable bottle.
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    For example the butterfly effect, the directors cut ending is my favorite, goes best with the movie and theme anyways (the original theatrical one gave too much hope IMO, and too cliche, true love, etc etc) , but each ending gives off a completely different vibe and feeling to the film.

It wouldn't matter if Butterfly Effect had ten endings, it'd still be terrible.

hellman_s-mayo.jpg
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    the alternate ending to "I am legend" with will smith is by far way better than the one shown in theaters
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank god its only crap movies that dare to come up with multiple endings.
    Imagine Taxi Driver ending up with him in prison for multiple murder in a second cut.
    Sheesh
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Dodge ball had an awesome alternate ending
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

You must live in some backwards-ass country if you don't have squeeze bottle mayo bro. :D I haven't used mayo from a jar in years.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    typically its the genious' at the studio's who make alternate endings necessary in the first place. Dodgeball and Butterfly Effect were both cases of the studio claiming that audiences want happy endings. (though i prefer the theatrical ending for Dodgeball just cause of the Deus Ex chest)
    I haven't seen Paranormal Activity yet (and i guess i don't have to now) but Speilberg came up with the theatrical ending so i would have expected it to at least be ok,

i don't know what they were smoking when they came up with the theatrical ending for I am Legend, but that absolutely ruined the whole movie for me. the film was removed enough from the book to begin with but that just...fucking stupid is what it was. the "alternate/original" definatley worked better with the film, though they still got the Legend part wrong...

what i really hate are the dvd's that advertise alternate endings and don't actually end in a different way, where they just use a different one-liner or something.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    You know what really grinds my gears...? You America! Fuck you!

Diane?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    You must live in some backwards-ass country if you don't have squeeze bottle mayo bro. :D I haven't used mayo from a jar in years.

I can only imagine Mayo is like Tomato sauce in that if you get it in a glass bottle either NOTHING comes out, or you cover your entire plate and end up having a meal of vinegar...

I don't like teh mahoh... :(
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    You know what really grinds my gears...? You America! Fuck you!

Diane?

Thank you and now were off to Thrisha Takanawa in Southcentral where a jar of mayo caused a mayor traffic jam. Trisha?
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    slipsius wrote: »
    the alternate ending to "I am legend" with will smith is by far way better than the one shown in theaters

I loved the book to death and wanted to scream and throw a chair after watching the movie in theatres. -___-. What was the alternative ending? Did the human race die like they were supposed to?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I kinda wanna see both endings to the movie, I got bored watching it at a friends and never finished it.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Odium , Dico Stu :)
    Mayo is supposed to be very bad for you :) Even here in Bulgaria comes in a squeeze bottle :)
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    ErichWK wrote: »
    I loved the book to death and wanted to scream and throw a chair after watching the movie in theatres. -___-. What was the alternative ending? Did the human race die like they were supposed to?
    IIRC, Will Smith realizes why they're really attacking him, opens the door and gives the girl back instead of grenading himself, and they begrudgingly all part ways alive. In a way it's actually a happier ending because everyone lives but at least it acknowledges the entire point of the story and the title.

There's no reason to be hostile to alternative endings in general. It gives an opportunity for people to fix mindless hollywood endings and if it ends up being worse than you can just ignore it. If you're getting stuck on an alternative ending you didn't like it's not because it's actually hindering your enjoyment; it's because you enjoy whining more than the film itself. If you learn to recognize that you'll be able to enjoy things a lot more.
  • gavku
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    what I hate about alternate endings is when they just show it as a deleted scene. If you must make and alternate ending have the option to see the movie that way like you can with say aliens, alien vs predator, terminator 2 judgment day, or the abyss. I think with I am Legend you get to see included in the film which is cool.

I don't mind seeing multiple versions of a film. It's really funny when the alternate version is worse than the original film. If you ever saw the blair witch project 2, you should follow it up by the director's commentary, it's quite the experience. I just couldn't stop laughing...
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    or the alternate ending to 28 Days Later where
    they just edited out Cillian Murphy's character. same ending footage just cut before you see him. *edit forgot they also showed a scene of him trying to be saved in the hospital. *then they cut him out of the end footage. :\
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Second ending for willard.
    They cut out the scene where Crispin Glover turns out to have survived.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Rent Brazil and read about the hell Gilliam went through to get it released his way.

Terminator Salvation. Never was created. But the original ending supposedly had Connor dieing and that infiltration Terminator taking his place.

That would have been sooo much better.

Not so much an alternate ending but a different cut. Rent Apocalypse Redux.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    Agreed.

And why does mayo even exists?

"I'm gonna keep the coke and the fries but I'm gonna send this burger back. And if you put any mayonnaise on it, I'm gonna come over to your house, I'll chop your legs off, set fire to your house, and watch as you drag your bloody stumps out the door. "
    - Jimmy 'The Tulip' Tudeski
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a fan of I Am Legend, the book, as well.

The alternate ending might imply some of the point of the book better (especially one shot) - but the whole film still doesn't follow the book as closely as it should [we're talking plot elements and characters being removed, etc.]
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    ya legend is my all time fave book, and the granddaddy of the modern zombie ,
    they have been 3 movies made off the book, all with major starpower,,(not counting the rip off low budget movies that tag along with theatrical releases. and none of them have even came close to capturing the escense of the book. i understand having to change some things to make a book fit a different format, but in my opinion if a book is worthy of having a movie made, it should be worthy of having it done semi on target.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    The best alternate movie ending(s) ever were in the movie Clue (or Clue The Movie, depending on how you look at it..). When the movie ran in theaters, every movie got a randomly chosen of 3 different endings. If you get the DVD or had the old VHS version of the movie, they put them all at the end and worked them into the movie.

Brilliant, not to mention it's one of my favorite lazy day movies. :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh yes Clue, that was brilliant, perfect execution and long before alternate endings where popular. Tim Curry did a great job in that. My brother and a friend of his took a friend of mine and myself to go see it we ended up in different theaters and had no clue it was different, we argued about it on the way home... then days later (no internet back then) someone told us it had separate endings. oh...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    bearkub wrote: »
    The best alternate movie ending(s) ever were in the movie Clue (or Clue The Movie, depending on how you look at it..). When the movie ran in theaters, every movie got a randomly chosen of 3 different endings. If you get the DVD or had the old VHS version of the movie, they put them all at the end and worked them into the movie.

Brilliant, not to mention it's one of my favorite lazy day movies. :D

Bearkub..

"I, am, your singing telegram" BANG
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXy: hahahahaha.

"Communism was only a red herring!"
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    And why does mayo even exists?

BLASPHEMER BURN HIM BURN HIM!!!!!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    And why does Vig even exists?
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    @ Asherr to be honest it was with 28 days later how lame it was that they used a gimmick, oh we have alternate endings... It was just three deleted scenes and one was like a storyboard or something. It was sort of interesting I guess. I felt the advertisement was misleading which is usually now when i say the it has an alternate ending never seen in theaters I think fck you, you lying prick!!!. :D The Exorcist with the cut out scenes that were too graphic at the time made the movie even more creepy. The spider walk was messed up.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    Worse alternate ending ever: Return of the Jedi with teen Anakin and no YubYub song.
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    Apparently, National Treasure had an alternate ending that they didn't use because it pulled too much for a sequel, which they weren't going to do. And then they made the sequel.
  • Firecracker197
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firecracker197 polycounter lvl 11
    You know what annoys me even more? When you have two options for a DVD menu and you cant figure out if there's anything that makes them different, I watched District 9 twice just to figure out if there was a difference between Alien and Human, and I still don't know.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    In Army of Darkness where Ash drinks the liquid to fall asleep and then wake up in his own time. That was the first introduction to alternate endings for me, I actually liked the one where he woke up too late and Earth was a post-apocalyptic wasteland rather than the action filled one :/ Fun movie!
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Did anybody get the Paranormal Activity DVD? I wanted to see what the other ending was all about.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    what the hell does mayo have todo with alternate endings?
    it it liek an useless tread covered in an semi usefull one?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Axios wrote: »
    Apparently, National Treasure had an alternate ending that they didn't use because it pulled too much for a sequel, which they weren't going to do. And then they made the sequel.

decision fail!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gVn3r8SMzo[/ame]

with exception for old woman makeup on linda hamilton, I liked it
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And why does Vig even exists?
    Might as well get it over now and go on the Elvis diet.

I'd be happy to help mayo lovers set up Kevorkian machines with eggs going in one arm, and oil in the other. To top it off we could do a Crisco enema... Or you could just wait 20 years and let it happen slowly over time.

What goes in your arteries doesn't come out. Think about that the next time you sit down with a spoon and a jar of Mayo...

Your body kill it however you wish, its going to die anyway right? =P
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    snemmy wrote: »
    Worse alternate ending ever: Return of the Jedi with teen Anakin and no YubYub song.

Haha agreed, not exactly a twist in the ending, but damn, no one wants to see that whiney prequel bitch Anakin ruin the original trilogy.
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
    twilight_blade.jpg

I liked this one
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What goes in your arteries doesn't come out.

are you saying I don't have kidneys or something?
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd be happy to help mayo lovers set up Kevorkian machines with eggs going in one arm, and oil in the other. To top it off we could do a Crisco enema... Or you could just wait 20 years and let it happen slowly over time.

I am interested in pricing and availability for this. Are these farm fresh eggs or "other?" Can I opt for olive oil over vegetable? Also, can sub in an off-brand for the Crisco? I await your answers and thanks!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I buy olive oil maya already, bearkub.

1221864336-72539_full.jpg
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    The ending to return of the Jedi was ruined in the extended edition, in 96 or 97. I was like wtf, where is the music!!!! you bastards!!!!! I have never seen that bitchy Vader version and I hope i never do.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you saying I don't have kidneys or something?
    You have kidneys that scrub plaque calcified or otherwise, from the walls of your arteries? You're so going to wake up in a bath tub full of ice with one hell of a back ache... heh. I would like you to reproduce a few times before I kidnap you, I mean come for a visit.

Kubbie, I'll start drawing up plans for models with different options. There might be a need for some kind of sodium rinse to quickly set everything in place, like quick dry cement. Do you have a preference in seasoning salts? I'll have to run some tests on the neighborhood elderly and get back to you.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I buy olive oil maya already, bearkub.
    [img]]http://www.awefulfoods.com/Vomit/vileimage.jpg[/img ]
    Ahh...gaahhgg... stop posting that stuff. I think I threw up a little, you call that tarter sauce right?