Home General Discussion

OSX / windows 7 dual boot

motives
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
motives polycounter lvl 18
anyone have this setup? I want windows on my macbook so i can install unreal editor and some other stuff..

Is it working well for you? any problems setting it up? good performance?

Replies

• Synthesizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Synthesizer polycounter lvl 11
    Depends on which macbook you have I guess. I've got a Macbook pro 2.9ghz and I run osx and windows 7 without any problems. The unreal editor runs great on it.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, works fine for me. I've also got Parallels installed pointing at the Windows bootcamp so I can run windows programs inside OSX (but no DX when emulating, that only works if I boot into windows).

If you've got Windows 7 then it's not *officially* supported yet. The only issue I've had though is slow internet.
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    yea im running the 2.4ghz mb pro so i guess i would be atleast OK:ish

What version of 7 do you guys have?

I'll just give it a try with bootcamp and see how it works. Will probably look into parallels as well rick. looks pretty neat!

tnxs for the replies.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I'm running Win7 home premium, but only 32 bit on the iMac - installing 64bit is a pain in the arse until Apple updates bootcamp to support it officially.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I installed 7 64bit on a friends laptop; worked okay. She can do most Photoshop and Max things on it, I think the only trouble she has is the touchpad not always working like it should and sound sometimes doesn't work.
  • woogity
    i use this setup with a mac pro (so slightly different experiance), dont try to play games on your windows side, in my experience and that of two of my friends lots of games strongly dislike running on a foreign operating system. works fine for work related stuffs tho

-Woog
  • Scott_W
    I'm dualbooting Win 7 64bit on a 2009 Mac Pro with no problems. Games and content creation apps work perfectly on the Windows side. Though I try to avoid booting into Windows if I can since OS X is too fun :)
  • Tom Ellis
    I made the total switch to Macs for my home setup about 3 years ago and have been running Boot Camp since it was first released. I installed Windows 7 back when the beta went public and it is almost flawless in my opinion.

ALL of my personal projects are done on OS X/Win 7 machines and I can honestly say it all works great.

90% of the time I'm on a 2.4ghz MacBook Pro (with external display usually) with 4GB RAM and a
    GeForce 9600M GT, running the release candidate of the 7 beta. With this setup, I can confirm all drivers are fine, keyboard + volume/brightness keys work, trackpad works fine with multitouch, and audio driver is fine. Max/ZBrush/Photoshop and UDK all run fine.

I too would love to only boot to OS X for the sheer stability and visuals, but I have to say Win 7 has really impressed me and I won't be OS X only until Max gets a Mac version (hmmm maybe), UDK gets OS X support (possibly if UDK gets iPhone capability, in about 2019) and ZBrush for Mac....erm....works.
  • Rojo
    I run Snow Leopard and Windows 7 on a Mac Pro. This is under Boot Camp.

I mostly work in the Source SDK while in Windows, and I play a lot of games too. The drivers that come with Snow Leopard are compatible with Windows 7 and I haven't run into any headaches.