Home Technical Talk

Texture to fit into uv template! 3ds or PS

right, I have a 1280 pixel brick texture that should match the height of the door, as the door is 10 bricks high, basically I want to know how I can resize the uv template so that the 1280 pixel texture would fit in that blue line keeping its 1280 pixel resolution

so are there any tools/methods in photoshop or 3ds max that can expand/resize the uv templates resolution so that the 1280 pixel texture can fit into the blue line/ or match height of the door

Thanks in advance

pixy.png

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    WHY must it stay 1280?

Also, you may find problems if you size your texture sheet to fit a specific element of the texture, as many engines do NOT like it if a template does not have sides that are powers of two - 256, 512, 1024, 2048, etc.
  • EsotericAgenda
    Its not for any game engines, but a small movie im making and the characters are going to be standing close to the wall so the render will pick up the detail.

Besides I can always resize it, all id like to know is any quick ways of getting the texture to fit into uv, instead of starting with a very hugh uv then pasteing the wall texture, then resizing the uv over and over again till the brick texture matches the height, and I've got more walls to do.

So anything that can speed the process, instead of resizing it over and over agian:icon15:
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Get your UVs packed into 0-1 space. Figure out how long in V that section is, it'll be some decimal amout like 0.2234512blah. Divide 1 by that V value, then multiply the result by 1280. Now you have the size you need to make your entire texture.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    So anything that can speed the process, instead of resizing it over and over agian
    Math?
    Dont guess but calculate your size. One practical way for you would be to render out a template on any size (lets say 512x512 for this example) and measure that height in the UV template.
    Lets say its 160 pixels but like you said you want it to be 1280, what you can do now is calculate the scale factor which would be:
    s =1280/160;

then multiply the template size with that scale factor,
    textureWidth = uvTemplateWidth * s
    or with our example
    512 * (1280/160) = 4096;

so in this example you texture would have to be 4096 x 4096. Now do the math yourself.
  • EsotericAgenda
    I did think of maths, but not that formula

Thanks anyway renderhjs