Home General Discussion

to college or not to college?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone,

Well, I know similar questions have been asked before, but now I have a big decision and would be so grateful for your guys' opinion on my specific situation. If you don't care to read my background then just skip to the main questions in bold :).

I'm about to finish my Associates degree for community college and want to be an environment artist for Games (what's new smile.gif ). However I've read many times over that most employers could care less about academic credentials and it's all about the skills you can show. I feel like I'm constantly progressing skill-wise right now and am almost certain a degree in traditional arts or game art would not help me any more than I can help my self via self-teaching. But I've been looking at job postings from relevant companies in my area (Seattle) and the majority have a 4 year BFA or equivalent as a prerequisite. If my skills are up to par, do you guys think that not having a degree will limit me? Do you guys think it's worth spending the extra 2 years and 20 some grand? I'm burning to just be done with school, and take a year hammering at my portfolio and sending it out.

My parents are willing to support me for college, as well as they are willing to support me living at home jobless for some time while I build my skills and portfolio. They would also support my living costs for 6 months while I take a full-time unpaid internship if necessary (or if someone would take me).

So my main questions in a nutshell:
1. Do you guys think an art degree is worth getting if it's strictly for credentials, because I don't feel it will help me personally skill-wise?
2. Do you guys think offering myself for free as a full-time intern (granted I have skills of some value) will help me break into the industry?

Thankyou so much for your time guys. I realize questions like this can be annoying especially if they asked the wrong question in the first place (I try to research as much as possible before I resort to writing a novel on a forum.)

Replies

• ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Rick Stirling
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Oh do you have a rough portfolio (or just random works), that'd better help us make suggestions on what you should do.
  • Orchidface
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the links Rick. Hadn't seen some of those.
    ZacD wrote: »
    Oh do you have a rough portfolio (or just random works), that'd better help us make suggestions on what you should do.

Unfortunately I kind of just passed a plateau in CG, and all the work I do have is from before that (which means it sucks pretty bad, hah) and it's before I decided for sure I want to do environment art for games (so the models don't have game specifications). I'm reluctant to show because it's such a misrepresentation of my style and skill but here's some of my old stuff:

17th Century Ship
    Another Angle of ship
    Microphone
    Secret Attic with really atrocious lighting

I'm much better now, and all my new stuff will be game engine specific. Also if I decide to take the non Uni route I plan on practicing art and CG 6+ hours a day for at least 6 months.
  • Kevin Albers
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    The general question of whether art degrees are worth it has been discussed plenty. However, in the current 'Great Recession', the option of going to college and getting a degree should look much more attractive to most people, if the other option is trying to immediately get a job in this horrible job market. Being able to put off looking for a professional job for a few years while making foward progress education-wise is not too bad a deal.
  • Yozora
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    1) No, pick something that will help you skill wise.
    2) I don't think so but I'm not an employer.
  • 00Zero
    if your parents are willing to support you, then get an internship.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Going to school for art only helps if you go to the right school. The piece of paper only helps if you have a great reel and if you want to go work outside this country. The piece of paper won't get you a job by itself though. If you need the piece of paper, you can get that once you land a decent job. If you are still in school try finding getting an internship.

Alex
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not putting down a good education at all, but let megive you some advice from personal experience...

I've been through 2 schools and still have no degree. I have 3 months of classes left, and I cannot get any money to finish. I have been waiting for loans for almost a year now.

I took programming classes in high school and honestly, I learned nothing in college because of everything I learned in high school (which was a little more than basic).

The best place to learn for me was mods, forums, and contacts in the industry (mentors if you want to call it that).

If you do decide to go to school, do a ton of research. Don't take any advice from the reps from the colleges (they will sell you anything). And don do nything drastic to your credit wile in school (I bought a car and that's why the loans stopped coming).
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    @ DarthNater the loans really stop coming because of the economy. Unless you bought a really expensive car getting one would be no reason to have them stop. You need a car when you are in school, it would of really made a difference when I was in school since I missed out on job opportunities because I had no transportation. Student loans always have to be paid back. Hope things get better for you.
  • Mark Dygert
    It would be a horrible place to work if they bounced someone with talent, only because they lacked a degree.
  • Talbot
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Sage wrote: »
    @ DarthNater the loans really stop coming because of the economy. Unless you bought a really expensive car getting one would be no reason to have them stop. You need a car when you are in school, it would of really made a difference when I was in school since I missed out on job opportunities because I had no transportation. Student loans always have to be paid back. Hope things get better for you.

I still gwt federal and other school loans but its not enough to cover my classes. Its the private loans I cannot get. Thanks for hoping it gets better, I'm trying real hard to get a job in the industry and even if its not going to help, I'm so close, ill still finish school ;)
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    depends on the art degree, i see so many people paying 800-1000 a month for a course of 4 years, and I don't think that is something to afford for a game course, if you think you can get a smaller course, or someone to teach you some skills in 3d, then that's the way to go. IT IS important to have a degree if you are going overseas, if you are not planning to do so, I wouldn't pay for it.
  • Avanthera
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I went to a horrible art college (westwood):poly127:, there were only a few teachers that knew what they were talking about, and they charged out of the ass for it.

A few months ago, I had been telling myself that it would get better and my skills would jump through the roof, unsure, I went to talk to the seniors. I had been studying 3d by myself for about 4 years previous, but without much direction, I had slowly put together my skills. I was a second year student and I was already surpassing the seniors!
    I quickly dropped myself out of the next semester and am planning to go to VFS in a few years.

The point is that even though the school was horrible, and the students had no ambition, I was immersed in a 3d art environment every day. I talked to the two good teachers I had constantly, and I learned a helluvalot in traditional art. which has made my texturing and anatomy skills shoot though the roof.

I am now working on a few projects professionally, and paying off the 35,000 in school loans, till i can go to VFS, if anything for the degree and the polish that will take my skills to the next level. I know I will learn a lot there, and the piece of paper some companies require will only take a year and 45K to get.:) im excited:poly142:
  • Jason Young
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    shrew81 wrote: »

and the piece of paper some companies require will only take a year and 45K to get.:) im excited:poly142:

I can't speak for the quality of education at vfs, but they don't offer degrees there, so you won't be getting the "piece of paper some companies require". Of course, most places don't require any sort of degree anyway, but the ones that have it listed as a requirement almost always ask for bachelor level or above.
  • Orchidface
    Offline / Send Message
    thankyou guys so much for all your advice. After looking at countless job postings for artists positions from game studios I've come to the conclusion that, according to what they said in their job postings, few studios require a degree of any kind, many studios "prefer" a 4 year degree usually in fine art or architecture, and many still don't mention it (which I assume means they don't care about it).

From what many of you have said, at this point I'm leaning towards just finishing my AA (6 months left) and then try to get into the industry via job or internship. Although in Talbot's thread stoofoo mentioned an upstarting program in my area that looks very interesting.

If any other students/aspiring artists are reading this thread and are interested:
    http://www.futurepoly.com/
  • Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Honestly, it's up to you. It really depends on your college. If you pick a great one, and put the time and effort into your classes, you can really learn new things. I went because "I" wanted a degree, and I wanted to be around people that would be in the industry. That being said I didn't even go for game design, but rather visual effects. Despite it being a ton of money I met some insanely talented people that are now in various industries and I'm satisfied with that. Personally college helped me only for the shear fact that I was pushed 24/7 to pump out piece after piece. That and the access to hundred's of dollars worth of software.. :-) I say go with what makes you happy, either way its your talent and character that will ultimately decide whether you get the job or not.
  • seforin
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    ok look college graduate speaking here

Good and bad

here it goes

Good:

You meet people who will more or less Might or might not make it

They will push you and you will probably bounce to each others when working getting ideas etc

THE Bad:

Useless degree, you can work the same shit jobs you would get with that degree without that paper (IM talking if you lets say dont get a career job in the games field and are looking for BS work, that fancy paper dosent make a BIG lick of difference anywhere and I still have yet to have a game studio tell me you went to "so & So school we want you")

BIG FUCKING TUITION FOR A USELESS FUCKING DEGREE THAT WILL HAUNT YOUR BANK ACCOUNT FOR A GOOD 10 + YEARS , (I WISH THERE WAS SOMETHING LARGER AND BIGGER THEN CAPSLOCK TO GET THIS POINT ACROSS)

and usually 1/2 the time when you realise the things you learned in a school you could have learned online for free (which usually a good 75% of the schools I knew of Did just this and gave links to polycount related tutorials etc) Its just cheaper to work a BS job and learn privately on your own. Unless if you REALLY are intimidated about learning the softwear in which would be the only reason I recommend to look into the college

ANYWAY im speaking from PERSONAL experiences of big let downs and BIG tuitions so if other people have pleasnt things to say about a school then by all means go ahead

But I will say honestly usually every time these threads come up people usually give there 2 cents and ive seen more people suggesting the not going to college reference more then going to it

Besides once you see your bank account being slipped of your little money im sure something like this might happen

1151721783339.gif
  • xvampire
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    again if you are supported, then good.
    then take that education,

but remember
    be hardcore, school has lots of illusion of flattery, you d think that you are good already
    but in real world is different. :)
    be better than anyone in this forum or other community is your goal,
    use your classmate as big discussion group to improve your class art quality, rather than individual rivalry ( im tired of this -_-)

that all means, straight A wont be enough. :)

good luck
  • sir-knight
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    a degree in anything other than art will get you places between art jobs or in the event you find yourself unable to get an art job... cause it's a degree... you can gain knowledge and practice 3d on your own, so if you're willing to work a bit more, get a degree in something like fine art rather than 'commercialized moneygrubbing contemporary entertainment art" programs and it will benefit you more if you must have an art related degree.
  • Elyaradine
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    If you do take a look at some schools, make sure to ask to look at some student work to see if they're actually doing anything to do with what you want to do at all, and if it's of a decent quality.

I made a bit of a mistake with that, having gone to an art school kind of blindly. The education wasn't entirely wasted as I got some traditional art and figure drawing skills under my belt, as well as some basic photography lectures that (I reckon) improved my eye for lighting, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted to learn, and the 3D lecturer was embarrassingly fail. The vast majority of what I learnt in 3D I had to teach myself by lurking on various CG forums and such.

I reckon that the learning that one gets from an internship is by far more practical (and thus more useful) that the stuff schools usually seem to teach. You'd become more accustomed to the requirements of a game studio, you'd learn what kind of things they may be looking for in an employee, and thus you'd be able to create a portfolio/showreel/resume that'd match those needs. You'd also build up contacts with folks in the industry, who may put in a good word for you or something if they see that you have the passion and work ethic.