Home Technical Talk

Wireless N routers WTF?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
I got a wireless n router yesterday hoping it would have better wireless speed. Dlink 150n, first off I install the thing and it comes preset to wireless g mode which seems like a scam since this is supposed to be wireless n. So I log in to the router and switch the mode to wireless n and can see the router in win xp wireless networks list but when I try to connect to it it just says acquiring network address for about 60 seconds and then does nothing. I'm going to return this piece today but I'm wondering does this wireless n shit even work? I have win xp sp3 so I'm wondering do I need to install some secret driver or something. Totally lame.

Replies

• SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Do you have a Wireless Card with n-Mode?
  • Whargoul
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Get the dlink dir-615 instead - it's $40 I think. The 150 isn't a full speed proper N roputer I think, so saving $10 isn't worth it. I just got the other one and it ran perfectly. Used the wizard and it set it all up correctly - I just went in afterwords to tune a couple things (pre-set IPs for each machine linking to it, port forwarding for xbox live, bit torrent and a couple other things). Works great!

Now the only thing is I have the damn wireless network adapter for the xbox, and it's only G. I'd rather get a bridge than pay for their new N adapter :(
  • ES_139
    i gave up completely on wireless after my experience with wireless N and went with these
    [ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-Value-Mbps-Home-Double/dp/B000TV7FJ4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1262460673&sr=8-4[/ame]
    i have to say i cant recommend them enough literally plug and play.
  • SpeCter
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I had one of these too, but after a while they went hot and my connection broke down very often :(
  • 00Zero
    ugh, i dont even want to think about the weeks of trouble i had setting up a wireless network. this was back during wireless-b. i always dreamed of something that would just be literally plug n play and no worries but thats a fucking myth.
  • ES_139
    no myth, i literally plugged those units into my wall socket and was online with no problems.
  • EarthQuake
    We've been redoing our basement, so i took the chance to run cat5 to pretty much every room in the house! Now i'll have a little "command center" thing with hookups to every room next to the router in the new office.
  • Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I do wired, unless it's a DS or a PSP.

It should work Malcolm, just make sure the hardware supports it.
  • malcolm
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Shit so you guys are saying I need a wireless n card to connect to it. There is a very good chance I don't have that. And the guy at bestbuy did not tell me I needed that even though I specifically asked him about it. I would imagine that is the problem. I'm going back to cat5 like most people I've had nothing but disappointment with wireless connections over the years.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep in my experience wireless is still very unstable and inconsistent even with good hardware. It depends on so many other factors (including what your walls are made out of etc.) that in general it's often much simpler, faster and more reliable to stick with wired networks.

But yeah, sounds like the salesman was a numpty, you definitely need a card and router which are capable of the same standard before it will work. Otherwise the signal will just revert to the best available compatible mode (in your case, wireless-G, since I assume your wireless card is G).
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 19
    I haven't upgraded to wireless N yet but my old WRT54G router has been working like a champ for years and I haven't even loaded the customized hardware on it. I've got 2 computers, a 360, Wii, Tivo and PS3 connecting to it.

Everything but the PS3 works great, after some research it seems like the PS3 just has shitty WIFI so I might buy a second WRT54G for the entertainment center and set it up as a bridge.
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    My room mates and I are on N, and it works pretty well. We had the same issue with the PS3 ... that thing is so moody with it's wifi. Unless the PS3 is right next to the router I'd totally plug it in directly.
  • _Calix_
    Bah, don't got me started on wireless n.

Just threw £60 on a wireless n USB adaptor, to go with my newly acquired wireless n router, thinking it'll be 10x better then my £10 wireless g PCI card that i've got at the mo, turns out it's about 10x shitter. Returning it tomorrow.