Home Technical Talk

Looking for an Somewhat Cheap and Easy to use 3d modeling Program

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
HeadClot polycounter lvl 9
I am Looking for an Somewhat Cheap and Easy to use 3d modeling Program for personal and perhaps commercial use. Like the Title Says...
I am an Student attending College right now and I have limited funds.
I cannot afford Maya or 3ds Max.

But as of current I am trying to Develop my own Universe in 3D.

Here are just some things I need to Model. Exotic Plants, Humans, Aliens, Star Ships, and Fighters... Just some of the Things I need to model.

I know of Blender but I never can seem to get the hang of it. No matter how hard I try.

I have done some Searches for some 3d modeling Programs but Only things that come up are XSI, Maya, and 3ds max.

If some one could help me and provide an link to a program that costs under $200.00 USD. It would be very much appreciated.

Replies

• Cathodeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cathodeus polycounter lvl 14
    Nevercenter Silo
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Silo, MilkShape, Blender. All have their learning curves.

I started out in Blender, its a bitch to learn but gets the job done. Free too, so I guess I can't complain. It has an awesome community too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silo is going to be the best in that price range
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Silo for basic modeling in that price range.

If you are wanting to do animations, though, you will eventually have to turn to Blender. (or throw down the money for one of the major packages that supports animations)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Silo, great little app love the ease of customization and the default workflow is pretty nice. Has a few bugs tho but they never really got in my way that much.
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I am Most likely going to get silo. I just got to get the hang of its demo version. So far I like what I see and I Like the Price.

If any one could point me into the directions of some tutorials for Silo I would be very happy. :)
  • serialkiler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can check ac3d its realy easy to learn.

http://www.inivis.com/
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can check ac3d its realy easy to learn.

http://www.inivis.com/

Hey Thanks,

I was looking for an 3d Modeling and Rapid prototyping program just thought I never find it here.

Plus it costs less than Silo. W00T
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Blender not silo.

Silo is a bit like a delicious cake with poo powder coating, it may look awesome but the bugs ruin everything.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    There'll be a new Silo update out very soon with a load of bug fixes.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also BeatKitano is a bit more jaded than most people toward Silo, if I remember correctly he was banned a few times from their forums for not being absolutely in love with silo, heh.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    errr as a student autodesk just throws their programs at you and you can't afford the 150 bucks for max, maya, xsi, mudbox and motionbuilder, in one package? ok it't not for commercial use, but its unlimited in time and you can upgrade to commercial if you really need to, as you said "perhaps commercial" i guess it's worth a shot
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    http://www.wings3d.com/

I think it surpasses most programs for fluid poly modelling. I know it looks rubbish(it isnt) but try it, you might like it.
  • BlackulaDZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I recommend blender3d, but the learning curve is pretty steep at first, but once you use it enough its pretty simple
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Vig wrote: »
    Also BeatKitano is a bit more jaded than most people toward Silo, if I remember correctly he was banned a few times from their forums for not being absolutely in love with silo, heh.

Yeah 7 days.
    I honestly didn't care as much as having an unuseable app taht kept crashing every 30 minutes or so, I could get banned forever if it was the way to have a bugfix update...

And i think you got me wrong, i absolutely love the app, not the bugs thats all

There'll be a new Silo update out very soon with a load of bug fixes.

I heard that somewhere, about one year ago...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The beta testers have it.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    khed = ultra cheap character and stuff modeling
    for ultra cheap bsp like level blockout theres also maplet
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    errr as a student autodesk just throws their programs at you and you can't afford the 150 bucks for max, maya, xsi, mudbox and motionbuilder, in one package? ok it't not for commercial use, but its unlimited in time and you can upgrade to commercial if you really need to, as you said "perhaps commercial" i guess it's worth a shot

I did not know about that...

I guess I could give that an Shot..

Autodesk.com Right?

Ok, I Registered Under the Student Area of Auto Desk.
    It is going to take 3 Bussiness days for them to get back to me...
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    to be honest I think the university should provide you with that either on campus or a student copy that you can work with.
    Its bullshit to buy software as a student if all you do is just learning. I don't know any student that actually bought any of that hilarious priced software (adobe, autodesk in particular). Just ask other students of that university on how to get what you need in order to learn them.
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    to be honest I think the university should provide you with that either on campus or a student copy that you can work with.
    Its bullshit to buy software as a student if all you do is just learning. I don't know any student that actually bought any of that hilarious priced software (adobe, autodesk in particular). Just ask other students of that university on how to get what you need in order to learn them.

They Provide me with the required materials in class but. They will not do it outside. The Good thing is they have an Excellent Discount program from Microsoft, Adobe, and other companies. I am not sure about Auto-desk. It is rather BS.
  • ima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ima polycounter lvl 8
    Blender's good, just make something relatively hard as your first model.
    That will force you to learn the basics.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It can be a bit of a stretch to buy your software as a student, I didn't buy any software when I was a student, I regret it very much. I could've saved a ton of money on professional licenses.

Keep in mind is that Autodesk does offer (or used to offer) some pretty sweet discounts on converting from a student license to a professional license.

Once you are no longer a student you will have a difficult time taking advantage of such offers.

Modo also has a interesting student license program I think it works like once you've renewed it twice ($150 each time) you can pay the normal upgrade cost ($395) and it converts to a pro license, so it's like buying it at a discount over a longer period of time.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    XSI foundation used to be super cheap (compared to the other packages out there). Of course that was until Autodesk bought it :(
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    to be honest I think the university should provide you with that either on campus or a student copy that you can work with. Its bullshit to buy software as a student if all you do is just learning.
    You could say the same for books that some courses require. Educational software prices are sweet compared to those things :P
    XSI foundation used to be super cheap (compared to the other packages out there). Of course that was until Autodesk bought it
    Foundation was dropped quite a while before Autodesk got their hands on things (whenever ICE / 7 was introduced, as it would have been able to replace a good number of features Foundation lacked).
  • die_Kröte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use Blender since modeling is pretty much just a hobby for me. Watch the first 3 Blender Underground videos in their entirety at least twice. Start modeling easier shapes and move up. I have to say, for free software I was extremely surprised with all that it was capable of.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
    Blender is indisputably the most full featured 3d app out of any of the budget apps. In fact I wouldn't even compare it with budget apps because it should be compared with industry grade apps. It's free and you can use it commercially without worry. If you want to prepare for the industry I can see why you'd want something autodesk because that's what the industry uses. But if you just want a full featured application to make 3d then Blender is as capable as any of the industry standard apps. If you can't even "get the hang" of an app like blender then I don't think switching apps will solve your problem. Sounds like you just can't "get the hang" of 3d and "creating you're own universe" will be pretty tough considering how readily you'd give up on an app simply because it's too difficult for you. Generally, the powerful an app, the longer the learning curve.
  • sama.van
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Blender is overrated, its UI sucks, and its really not used much inside of the industry, its capable but not great.

Buy a used or student version of xsi maya or 3DS
    You can find used versions for hella cheap

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=maya+autodesk&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=maya&_osacat=0

$100-250 for maya 8.5? SWEET

BUT WAIT
    You really should try the 30 day trials of each program before you pick one over the other.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    You could buy the Autodesk Education Suite for entertainment an creation 2010.
    It consists of:
    3D Studio Max 2010
    Maya
    Softimage
    Motionbuilder
    Mudbox

And for a lifetime licence it only costs 150 bucks
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I think the $150 price is only for 13 months?
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    59€ is for 13 month
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    You could buy the Autodesk Education Suite for entertainment an creation 2010.
    It consists of:
    3D Studio Max 2010
    Maya
    Softimage
    Motionbuilder
    Mudbox

And for a lifetime licence it only costs 150 bucks

I am looking at JourneyED and it is $349.98. The 13 month is 150.00.
    I would have to move some things around (financially) But I could Get this!

I am quite familiar with some of Autodesk Tools. In particular Maya and XSI.
    I will have to look at their commercial licenses btw.

Thank you you have really helped me out.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just looked into a German Reseller Store and they say 150 € are for a lifetime licence.
    And the german JourneyED says the same to me. Not sure why it is cheaper for us.

Edit:I looked into International Reseller Sites an it seems that german people really have better prices, we pay 150€(214$) for a lifetime licence. :(
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yeah but you get a raped version with painful German translation everywhere. Its not easy to get the original in Germany. Though it might work if you just download the trials and then use that serial number provided with the purchase.
  • psychoticprankster
    ZacD wrote: »
    Blender is overrated, its UI sucks, and its really not used much inside of the industry, its capable but not great.

Buy a used or student version of xsi maya or 3DS
    You can find used versions for hella cheap

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=maya+autodesk&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=maya&_osacat=0

$100-250 for maya 8.5? SWEET

BUT WAIT
    You really should try the 30 day trials of each program before you pick one over the other.
    Nevermind it was only an educational copy, I was hoping to buy max for cheap.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs wrote: »
    yeah but you get a raped version with painful German translation everywhere. Its not easy to get the original in Germany. Though it might work if you just download the trials and then use that serial number provided with the purchase.

It´s easy to get english versions, if you buy at unimall.de for example you only get the ENU Versions :)

But you are right, the german versions are really painful, some translations are really like WTF?!?
    I had to Work with a German Version when i did my Intership at Nvidia:poly122:
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I use blender professionally, and in-industry, I can vouch for its ability to fit in a pipeline, just like any other application.

It is the most full-featured and future-proof application outside of going fullprice, and at that state it's just as competitive as any other :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    I use blender professionally, and in-industry, I can vouch for its ability to fit in a pipeline, just like any other application.

It is the most full-featured and future-proof application outside of going fullprice, and at that state it's just as competitive as any other :)

Could be, but the interface is horrible.And i think they noticed it themselves, because the new one in Alpha0 is much better:poly142:
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender still lags behind Silo in Tools, I have to say. The new Bmesh-system will allow for that to change fairly rapidly though, so let's hope we see improvements in that area soon!
  • HeadClot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter wrote: »
    Could be, but the interface is horrible.And i think they noticed it themselves, because the new one in Alpha0 is much better:poly142:

The UI is what really got me with blender, it was just too darn cluttered.

I am going to try out Blender alpha zero before I make my purchase. Hopefully I like the UI better.

EDIT:

Just Got Blender Alpha Zero downloaded an Installed. All I can say is WOW.What an improvement Over the Original Blender. I will Defiantly be trying this product out more than Maya or 3ds Max.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn´t i say so? *g*
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    With that said, any tool can be learned at any moment, since skills are mostly transferable, and blender is the cheapest most fully alternative out there until you're forced at job to start working with max or maya, which usually isn't a problem.

bonus is, if you ever want blender at work, then there's no fuss with asking your work for a license for that app they dont use, it's just a small install and another useful tool in the pipeline.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    its not even a install, just download unzip and start, no need for admin rights