wirejp.jpg

It is 2,688 tris.

Diffuse:
generatorlpdiffusemap.jpg

Specular:

generatorlpspecmap.jpg

Normals:

generatorlpnormalsmap.jpg

One problem I've gotten already is that in Unreal, without some kind of intense spot light, things get washed out really easily:

comparison.jpg

I'm guessing it has more to do with my skill with lighting than anything else.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    no, it has to do with the fact that your normal map isnt doing anything for the model. i recomend doing a proper High poly for this and bake the normals from it, you would also bake an AO map and it would help the texture pop :) good luck !
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe you imported the normal incorrectly into Unreal. importing_normal_into_ut3.jpg

If your settings for the highlighted area are different, just reimport.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    your eemages are a bit large here sir...

mind scaling them down a bit?
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the comments guys; resized some of the textures as well. A combo of importing it right + lighting + re-baking seemed to help (but still not great D: ):

newerw.jpg

This is the hi-poly that I'm using:

hipoly.jpg
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    your lighting is hard to read

setup a 3 point light rig on this thing

back-light
    key
    fill

http://www.utexas.edu/web/video/graphics/3-point.jpg

Then if that doesn't help, it could be a matter of increasing the depth of your normal map.

you might also want to make sure your normal map is being "unpacked" correctly
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    nfrrtycmplx, thanks for the lighting suggestions, I think they helped.

So, I'm happy with the way it turned out in the end. Learned a bit in the process, and I was hoping to get some comments and crits on it :)

finalsv.jpgfinaldecals.jpgfinaldecals03.jpg

I still want to add some particle effects to it to make it look a little bit more active, though.
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you overdid some of the scrapes and scratches a bit. Unless someone actively came over and purposely chiseled surfaces which in an event of a fall would be shielded anyway. It just doesn't make sense. Try and think how the device works and try to place scratches and dents etc as to make logical sense.
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, the design is a bit funky. Those black rectangles are heatsinks/vents, which is why paint is peeling at the center there if that is what you meant. I hope it'll make more sense when particle effects are added.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    I would work on the base textures a bit more. A few more layers at different opacities. Like this tutorial http://www.artpanda.co.uk/tut/detaillayers.jpg

But then actually I think it's pretty much finished anyway.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Its a great start! How about some glowing bits on the model. like a little light or something. it would help make it look more detailed.
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    @Serp:

That would work really nicely as a detail texture for up close looks. I'll try to work on a detail texture with diffuse and normals that could fit the bill.

@rooster:

That's one of the things I was going to take away from this is just give my models more detail in the hi-poly. What I was expecting was that I was going to do a lot of detail work in the diffuse, but it didn't work out that way; the end result was that there was just a lot of negative space. So, for the next asset I do for this scene, I'll put a lot more time into putting in medium to smaller details to fill all the negative space.

That being said, this is a video of the particle FX I pulled off after a crash course in Cascade (3-4 days of work). Its a basic setup, I really want to do more with this, but it'll have to be on the backburner for whenever I'm either between assets or want to play with it again; I realized that getting the look I wanted is a project in and of itself, which I don't have the experience/knowledge-base for just yet.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Enx1W7bSs"]Particle FX[/ame]
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    First, sorry about the double post and bump, but I'd like to get some crits on the base/pad I've been working on for the generator :):

The path to the pad:
    wip01.jpg

The pad:
    wip02f.jpg

Altogether w/tinted glass (aka a semi-opaque plane):
    wip03.jpg

Too busy? I'm planning on adding some more brackets and wires on the side of the pad.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I dunno abt these two models. I dont like them.

reminds me of star trek for some reason.