Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

BIG PROJECT - Short film - "Free Ticket"

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
sampson polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,
I know this isn't game art, but i think alot of it is transferrable.
Basically, i pretty much HAVE to finish, whether i like it or not because its my "Major Work" for my highs school multimedia course.

i'll be using 3ds max, vray to render, and after effects for post. I'm going for a pixar kind of look.

Here is my idea for the script:

http://home.samroberts3d.com/Major/Free%20Ticket%20Script.pdf

Here is my 30 minute concept for the main characters (imma 3d guy, not concept! hehe):
main_characters.jpg

Replies

• Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    i think i failed my multimedia class in year 12... also art was my lowest scoring class on my vce... i think math or biology was my highest... and i hate math and biology :shifty:

gunna sculpt or go the smooth sub-d route?

oh, peep dis shit too. i thought the style was badass, might inspire (it's coraline the movie) =D
    link
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    good luck to you. just make sure you give yourself enough time to do this. modelling, texturing, rigging, ANIMATION, lighting, sound, compositing.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i've got about 8 months - sound do-able?
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    sure. just do a little bit at a time, but start soon.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biggest problem will be rigging and animation (0 experience) so ill try to cut every corner possible.... Any good resources for riggin/animation in 3ds?
  • audi100
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    audi100 polycounter lvl 11
    For rigging/animation you should have a look out for the CAT tools a pretty powerful package from what I've heard and seen (did not try it out yet).

If you can't get ahold of that you can always use the character studio biped, saves you a lot of time regarding bone placement/hierarchy and ik setup, but you would still have to setup a facial rig for example. If you google around you should also find free custom rigs which are pretty sophisticated, not sure if there are much working versions for 3dsmax 2010.
    http://www.bradnoble.net/rigging/index.html

For Animation in general
    this is a good read -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Animator%27s_Survival_Kit
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i think biped would be a good idea. would a way to cheat face rigs would be just to model different expressions then like kinda transition them.. i forgot what its called. unless its really hard to do a facial rig?
  • sampson
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool title.

And i think it's called morph targets (where you do a bunch of different faces with diff expressions), prolly be easier yeah
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Or blend shapes. Ideally you'll want a combination of the two to allow yourself a full range of facial expression and movement. That said, you can do a lot with a very basic setup. I've had some plausible looking effects going with nothing more than a couple of blend shapes and a single bone in the jaw.

I don't want to derail your thread, but I've got an example of something I worked on a few years back:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0WbaQDHhd0[/ame]
    The pilot has 1 blend shape and 2 bones. One to rotate his head and one to move his jaw. His arms are seperate objects parented to the body because I couldn't be arsed rigging them. He obviously not a brilliant character and doesn't have a great range of movement, but he works well enough. It's an example of how you can save yourself a lot of time and effort if you're smart about how you set your shots and the like.

Oh and try to have lots of camera shake and motion blur. The less people can see, the better they'll think what they're looking at must be.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's some references for the cinema
    314wgzo.jpg

mainly using top right for ref.
    34pj50i.jpg
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Seems good so far, keep on it man.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did some perspective drawings - working on modelling the character now (its hard! :()
    30ng4uf.jpg
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay guys. here's what my face looks like so far.
    i'm an Environment artist and this is my first go at character work

i need topology crits and..stuff? haha
    2qunbr9.jpg

e7l72a.jpg
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bit more progress.. i need help! its lookin a bit ugly
    1zlwxh3.jpg
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    (LOT!!!!!!) less polygons, more focus on shape

srsly

also, good luck *snickers*

edit:
    what I mean is, you prolly have to start from the begining with the head.
    because, that is just way too many polygons for sombody at your level to work with to try to get a good looking result.
    less polygons will help you shape your character better, and when that is done, you subD it or whatever (after skinning..)

but yeah, that is just a mess.......
    the changes we would want to make to that head, are gonna take you too much time to get done, because of the dense mesh..you would have to move a cluster of verts, and then go back and aling each one by itself again...teadius as all hell...

yeah, delete that and empty the trash bin..
    start over, with lot less polyongs in mind
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub-d or sculptin?

yeah, working with fewer polygons would prolly help man. Got this topo pic which i always liked. Don't forget the loop that goes around the nose and down under the mouth (http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/874/polyregionsif6.jpg).
    Then again you could always go the free sculptin route and work it all out in zb from a cube, tho doing something in the middle of that and sub-d would prolly work out best.

also here's some kchen sketch goodness. Gettin the basic shapes/forms/proportions of the head down = important... once you got those the rest should be heaps easier (both shifting the proportions to be crazy and detailing)

http://www.characterdesigns.com/index.php?sitepage=tutorials
    kevin_Chen_Head_Studies_030.jpgkevin_Chen_Head_Studies_061.jpg

*mars bar* =D
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    there's definately alot wrong with the face :( and there still is... but i've deleted some loops, fiddled around.. he's looking better - but not quite there yet. staring at his face has been freaking me out.. hes definately in the uncanny valley

i1gw86.jpg

although i think my profile view is sorta good

2yvp761.jpg
  • samgriffiths
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, if you look at the concept hes got a massive jaw/chin - but im having trouble getting it to look like that, without it lookng like i just dont know what i'm doing :(
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you did a good job reworking the mesh!

you dont really need to be so anal about the loops, like from the nose and whatever..fuck that
    everyone likes to comment about the need for perfect and clean edgeloops for animation, and refer to that ugly example picture some replies up..
    I concider myself an animator (to the same extent anyone on this boar conciders themselfs a modeller I guess), and I say FUCK EDGELOOPS
    as long as the mesh looks good, I have never had any problems (not related to skinning) with animating facials, on meshes that dont follow that very strickt example of having clean loops and shit.

the mesh you have now will do just fine.

the edges at the center of the mouth are kinda close together though, try spacing them out more evenly.
    that goes for the nose and all the way around the skull as well..
    and the loop around the eyesocket, or, actually, after that. like under the eye and around the cheekbone, those vertexes are also fairly too close together.

other than that I think you did a good job on the mesh, and only need to reshape it now to get the result youre after..

and I think you should stay the F away from sculpting apps for this one,
    keep the meshes simple and "cartoony" without too many details, and you'll have a lot easier time getting this project............complete ... sorry, cant say that with a straight face ;D

well, waiting for your next post :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I think your jumping in feet first here without thinking of the big picture.

There's alot to think about : size of scene, types of animation, lighting, effects, post production requirements, complexity of models and textures to name a few.

Before modelling anything I would write the story FIRST! Then break it into bite size chunks that represent the different parts. After this you will be able to create a storyboard which is essential...

fogofwar_storyboard.jpg

After the storyboard comes the rough 3d scenes that represent scale and lighting values, if you can do all this you will be well on your way.

prepareexample.jpg
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go crazy in mudbox or zbrush, finding a shape, then retopo..

Much easier that way
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbob wrote: »
    Go crazy in mudbox or zbrush, finding a shape, then retopo..

Much easier that way

then instead of working on his current mesh and with a workflow that is familiar to him,
    he would have to sit down and learn a new program which has a totally different approach than maya/max, and learn how to sculpt..
    and then export the result - which would be awful, into his 3d app and retopologize from there..
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Such is character art.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GCMP: if you read the very first post, i have a script and storyline. here: http://home.samroberts3d.com/Major/Free%20Ticket%20Script.pdf

I've also drawn a rough storyboard for the first few scenes.... but i didnt think it was worth posting?

@bbob: that'd be a great and easy way if i was really great with zbrush, however im not that great but i've been getting some good advice from some other characters artists on msn and such...

@flow3d - thanks for your crits and advice. i'll be posting some progress later today.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tried a 30/40 minute zbrush attempt (not final of course, im going to do a few)

UGLINESS WARNING - ENVIRONMENT ARTIST TRYING TO SCULPT A CHARACTER

wthys2.jpg

looks better in front view, some wacky things going on in this 3/4ish
    2ish4r5.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aight, brace yoself for the worst paintover ever -_-

basically, some more defined planes of the head would help mebbe. Flatter face and more form around the cheek and the muscle that goes around the mouth definitley. And thicker lips couldn't hurt i guess :P

I'd prolly grab the move tool and pull the nose back in slightly (on a lower dlvl). Pull some more form on the outside edge of the face in 3/4 view too (negative space and all that crap)...

Skull could use a leetle proportional tweaking too but yeah, muchos improvment man (got any full body sculpts happening yet :P)

edit: keep in mind this is just a generic shaped head i drew over to help indicate form and 3d volume and crap, heads generally have more variation so grain of salt that up

worst_painto_evah.jpg
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    ok, forgive me if im totally missing something here....

However, whats with the Zbrush love?, of course Its essential to learn it to work at MOST studios these days and it also adds to a lot of realism in models. However, in this example and what Sampson appears to be trying to achieve here am I only one who thinks Zbrush is completely unnecessary to get this job done?

The style to me looks quite basic (from the concepts),so im thinking some kind of cell shading perhaps?
    Not to mention the guy is on a DEADLINE, is treading ground he has stated he is not familiar with and im willing to bet hasn't got any idea how long things like rendering the whole animation and compiling/post processing will take, Vray,in my small amount of experience with it has amazing results but takes an age and a half to render.....

In essence, I feel advising the guy to learn a new program, change his work flow all while he stumbles into the pitfuls (and stress) of creating your first short on time and to deadline is abit much.

I say stick to what you know, you have plenty of time to make things look good but make sure you keep your time keeping in check and leave plenty of time for changing and rendering.

Learn Zbrush on other none deadline/essential projects.

Just my opinion :)

looking forward to progress Sampson.

John
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco wrote: »
    am I only one who thinks Zbrush is completely unnecessary to get this job done?

no, no you are not
  • rddr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this thread.

Sampson, What style is this going to be? I see it as a cartoon style so whats the point of making this realistic? Forget Zbrush, do the subD modeling like you started before and slap in a meshsmooth or Turbosmooth after rigging the models.
    And if you are a Environment artist, start making some sample props for your scenes and also set up the lights and cameras that you wanted from your storyboard.

I am going start making a similar project as well and this topic is very informative right now. And I don't know that much as well.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Bronco and i totally understand the viewpoint your coming from. For this project actually, as it is for school, there is also a documentation part i have to complete, where you have to talk about things you've learnt and what has worked and what has failed, if i stick to everything i'm comfortable with, i can't really add as much to that section. But at the same time i need to keep in mind a clear barrier between trying new things, and getting it done on time.

I think i'll make some clothes for him today or something and get him looking "okay" for now.
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel he could still use zbrush easily, since its a film doing a normal map shouldn't be necessary. Doesn't mean he shouldn't watch the tri count tho.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    latest sculpt with paintover:
    2nle03p.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Shiraz wrote: »
    I feel he could still use zbrush easily, since its a film doing a normal map shouldn't be necessary. Doesn't mean he shouldn't watch the tri count tho.
    You'll most likely still want to throw normal maps on there. A displacement map only gets you so far. You'll still need something to get your fine details and a normal map generally looks nicer than a bump map.

I'll throw my vote in for the subdiv modelled characters though. With your current level of experience and the amount that you need to get done, I think you'd have a much easier time, coupled with what others have mentioned about suitability to tyhe style.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    sampson wrote: »
    looks better in front view, some wacky things going on in this 3/4ish

I could be wrong, but it looks like you might not have perspective turned on in zbrush (hit P). It's turned off by default.
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try no 3 i definately feel like i am improving, but theres still problems with my work (need help identifying)
    10z2zcg.jpg

with harsher lighting (shows more of my errors)

ja9gnq.jpg
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Been following this for some time and wanted to give some input.

As Flow suggested, I see no reason for going zbrushing on him yet, especially if you are lacking experience. What I'd do was to focus on getting it right in max, and if you feel like you need to sculp, I found out that for the basic shapes, the build in sculper in Editable Poly works great as long as you got enough polygons.

Now, for your head(without having any big experience in either character art or anatomy) I think it lacks definitive shapes, like the the chin. Or if you're going the kind of stylized look, he needs a bit more hard edges around the definitive shapes. At the moment, it looks a bit too goey for my personal preference. Keep on rockin'
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm - i'm feeling like i've gone out too ambitious, and there's no way i will get this done in time... i dont know if i need to cut things down make it simpler or what.. some motivation is needed :S
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, you could use this as a base and do a retopo mesh over it that has proper edgeloops in to retain important forms. Then use that as a simpler sub-d option. Running it through topogun is pretty easy and fun.

Is this a solo project? I would say go out and grab a character (and prefferably experienced anim) guy to help you out but may not be an option. Try sub-d'ing what you've got for some smoother forms, do a rough body and try putting all the elements together and see how it looks man.

Then you've at least got 'somthing'. You could lay in a more detailed character later if need be.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, you've been ambitious, and there is little way that you'd get an animation like this done.
    but the part that messed it all up, was when you had your head mesh all ready to go, but instead of starting to work on the rest of the character, you let yourself be suckered into using zbrush and whatnot to make normalmaps and shit you dont even need for your project!

so yeah, its been like 2 weeks now?
    you should have at least both your characters modelled, textured (very simple even seeing the style you're going for..?) and rigged.
    instead you've been learning a new app, a new workflow - and failed

so yeah,
    I dont know when this assignment was supposed to be turned in but..
    I'd say go back to the 2nd iteration of the head you had and continue working on a body!

I SUCK, but even I model a character, texture it and rig it in one day (two tops, seing as I play WoW a lot lately) .. so, 2 weeks is no excuse
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d wrote: »
    yes, you've been ambitious, and there is little way that you'd get an animation like this done.
    but the part that messed it all up, was when you had your head mesh all ready to go, but instead of starting to work on the rest of the character, you let yourself be suckered into using zbrush and whatnot to make normalmaps and shit you dont even need for your project!

so yeah, its been like 2 weeks now?
    you should have at least both your characters modelled, textured (very simple even seeing the style you're going for..?) and rigged.
    instead you've been learning a new app, a new workflow - and failed

so yeah,
    I dont know when this assignment was supposed to be turned in but..
    I'd say go back to the 2nd iteration of the head you had and continue working on a body!

I SUCK, but even I model a character, texture it and rig it in one day (two tops, seing as I play WoW a lot lately) .. so, 2 weeks is no excuse

i see your argument man, but i have not been working 8 hours a day, every day on this.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    flow3d wrote: »
    but even I model a character, texture it and rig it in one day

I can't imagine what that must look like. *shrug*
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    I think for you to say he failed is a bit of a wrong assessment. Even if he didn't get a model out of it he can use, he still has learned somethings and the next time he makes something it will end up being better.

Sometimes I find myself remaking a head or a body two or three times before I am happy with it, and every time I learn something new about polyflow or just the general feel for shape. I have a long ways to go before I am at the point where I don't have to redo things, and I am sure even when I hit that point it will still take a lot of reworking to get things just right.

My point is, sure you picked a pretty ambitious project and I would suggest trying to think up a simpler story that requires less characters, but don't look at it as a failed experience, just take your models and think about how you can improve your next and you will always see improvements.

As for modeling, texturing, and rigging in a day, I am sure your models, textures, and animation are just top shelf quality /sarcasm. It can take weeks just for textures if you really want to make some portfolio material, hell, anyone can throw some stuff together, doesn't mean you can use it for anything in the long run.

Keep up the work, try to think up a project that requires less of a work load and to make up for your learning about modeling, try and highly stylize your models to hide your ability level. :thumbup:
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks guys (hair is painted on) - i'm going to try think of cutting down on the amount of scenes and such.

5js3rb.jpg
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay. one last zbrush try (it MAY be using up time, but i'm learning so much)

4ucqqu.jpg

into max and a render:
    11hfltf.png