Home General Discussion

Can we be writers too?

Elhrrah
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Elhrrah polycounter lvl 8
Not that long ago there was a thread going about a bit of creative writing that one of the members were working on, and the idea of a creative writing sub-forum sprang up. Not much was said about it at the time, but I think it could be a fun additon to the community here which could result in - quoting crazyfingers - "all kinds of unintentional kick-ass."

What do you think? It could be pretty fun.

Replies

• Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    im sure there are forums specifically targetted at that ?
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I still think it could be "all kinds of unintentional kick-ass." and fully support this movement.

Hell, we have a forum for some kind of movie quote game :P.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, I started that thread. I, personally, think it's a good idea.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not opposed to this idea, because I myself sometimes have to write scripts and what not, the only thing that might be an issue is that if your looking for the best critique then I'd suggest looking on a writing forum, as someone else suggested. This is not to downplay any talented writers on these forums, simply saying that with this not being most of our specialties I feel it would be best to find critique from someone whose specialty it is.

Now with that being said, it could be fun and interesting :-)
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Cyrael wrote: »
    I'd suggest looking on a writing forum, as someone else suggested. This is not to downplay any talented writers on these forums, simply saying that with this not being most of our specialties I feel it would be best to find critique from someone whose specialty it is.

There are a lot of great forums for aspiring writers out there, and it's easy to get involved with workshops pretty much wherever you are. I'm sure there are more than a few decent wordsmiths lurking around here, but there are undoubtedly better communities to learn the craft that already exist than adding one here.

As I mentioned in a previous post in Taylor's thread, one of the best writer's communities I've come across is The Cult, Chuck Palahniuk's site. Lots of great essays, workshops and a really helpful bunch of people, and you don't have to appreciate Chuck's work to get a lot out of the forums.

http://chuckpalahniuk.net/community
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    I write a bit.
    Most of my (bad) poetry stuff ends up on my DeviantArt page.
    My novel-in-progress is not ready for review yet. :S
  • PieJesu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you never let people review your novel then you'll never be able to fix your errors. It's the same as a piece of artwork. Fresh eyes see flaws. Your eyes don't.

But I'm all in for a writing forum. The community will grow with more creative output.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a couple buddies who are into game design, but their true passion is writing. Their dream job would be doing story and dialogue for video games. After looking at 3d models every day it might be a nice diversion to read some fanfics by fellow artists and game designers.

Case in point:
    http://fanfictionredux.ytmnd.com/
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazyfinger is right in that its less about professional critique, and more about finding some entertainment within an active and varied community. [Almost] everyone likes a good story, and [almost] everyone has tried to write one; why not allow people with similar interests and skills to share that?

For example, I've done a bit of creative writing connected to, but not directly applicable for, the modding project I'm involved in; What should I do with it? I could, for one thing, share it here and engage people with a bit of an interesting read. The topic is loosely related to the rest of things here - no less than the Q-branch quote game - and it would allow me to develop my talents as a writer. Fun, right?

We could even have a sticky on how to convince people to add sub-forums to websites.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with Elhrrah. She/He (I'm not sure) seems to be into writing and I fully support the idea, once more. I say go for it. If it wasn't for my thread would this idea have ever happened? I say it'd be for the better.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polycount is about game art, and game related things, writing and music both are other pivotal art forms needed in video games, and doing either specifically for video games is very much its own style.

i motion for a music and writing section,
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I agree wholeheartedly!

I love writing, and reading other peoples writing.

I think mine sucks, but it's good to see other opinions too!

Do it up!
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    I doubt there are any communities that deal specifically with writing for games-- which I have had to do a few times. It could be kind of interesting.

It would be nice to establish basic game writing concepts. Emphasizing brevity and clarity for example.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    I have no interest in writing or making music, so yes please make a separate forum for the people who do so I don't need to see their threads taking up space in GD :D
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    yes.. but how many of those writing communities out there are related to gaming in general? I'm sure there's gamers on there... but how many PCers write with a gaming skew?

I know I write with an RPG skew, and my project has stalled because my audience got too busy with other things to keep up with my project... with it so close to being done.

I started out as a writer, then moved to art as a means to push the writing further, then it all amagamed together into this uncontrollable mass of creative slop that my friends aren't willing to touch.

I got shitty friends. :/
    I need a new audience to force present my stuff to
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    If we get a writers forum then there needs to be a music forum, we got at least 3 bands, 1 weird but totally awesome raper, and a cool rapper, and countless people with guitars.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    think you meant rapper.... not RAPEr.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I meant raper... :|
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey can we get a diaper-changing forum, i know we've got a few parents here with new-borns who would really love to discuss various styles, give critiques and share tips on how they change poopy diapers.
  • [Deleted User]
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Why not put it in Pimpin & Previews or a sketchbook thread? P&P has been used for musical pieces before, and has also been used for some written bits. They tend to be few and far between, but those threads to pop up. All the forum descriptions simply mention posting "art", not just visual arts. If there are enough interested polycounters to sustain a decent critique, or get enjoyment out of other game related art forms then the threads will sustain themselves as well as any of the popular visual art threads.

A subforum tends to get lost to just those already directly interested in the forum, and or lost entirely.

Just be aware you'll likely get a lot of TLDR reactions except from like write minded folk.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats TLDR or should i JFGI?

anyways, i think it deserves its own subforum so we don't have to sift through everything in one thread, that would be especially disastrous when its text instead of images.

still pushing for the game music and game writing subforum, whos with me!
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tl;dr means "Too long; didn't read."

But yeah, I think that even if writing pieces belong here, they could go in P&P with a big fat [WRITING] tag in front, so we don't get a flood of people going "dude, massive post there, but your images don't work".

The thing is, this site is dark, which makes images easy to see, and text harder to read. Also, to be a bit rude and blunt, I think a writing subforum will end up disused, with a couple of dusty, stories decaying in the corners.

But if you are passionate about this, I am all about http://boards.wordcount.com .

Heck, I might even join ya.. :P
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    tbh I just don't see the need. if we had game writing and game music threads popping up left right and center then fair enough, that indicates a need for a seperate forum. but like someone said, they are few and far between. That new forum would die quickly, hardly any new threads and people would ignore it. Just put the writing in pimping and previews or sketchbook, no-one will object.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    At this point, we will not be adding a writing sub-forum. It's just not part of Polycount and I am pretty sure it's not something adam had figured into his design.

That being said, I think it's a great idea to go get one started on your own. There are plenty of places to start up free message boards and such and go to town. Also, a writing thread here and there in P&P won't hurt anyone.
  • Taylor Hood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, me and a couple of the other people from my thread were thinking about starting a writing group. I imagine a forum based on writing could work out pretty well.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I'd be up for that or this.
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How 'bout those of us who write post some of our stuff in P&P/sketchbooks, and make the jump to our own forum if [once] we build up enough activity/notice. It would allow us to get the idea floating about without having to deal with the fragility of a completely new forum or trying to convince PC to give us a sub forum.

Viable?
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I think a few of you should get hooked up with Google Wave and get some brainstorming threads running to build your forum off it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    heh, whoever suggested boards.wordcount.net is surely onto a winner ;)
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    bearkub wrote: »
    I think a few of you should get hooked up with Google Wave and get some brainstorming threads running to build your forum off it.

This is a great idea, wave is perfect for something like this - I have invites to google wave if any of you want :p
  • Elhrrah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would finally give me something to do with my Wave account; its been sitting useless for a while now. I've got a load of invites - 24 to be exact - too.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been thinking of writing something, some day.

Hit me up on waveywaveness if you decide to use that:
    bboborino@googlewave.com
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    WRITING IS EASY. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS STARE DOWN AT A BLANK PIECE OF PAPER UNTIL YOUR FOREHEAD BLEEDS’.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I personally think its a good idea. Though the admin disagrees to this suggustion.
    Yeah, me and a couple of the other people from my thread were thinking about starting a writing group. I imagine a forum based on writing could work out pretty well.

I am interested in joining up a group If you are starting it up. PST if you approve of this.
    Ruz wrote: »
    WRITING IS EASY. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS STARE DOWN AT A BLANK PIECE OF PAPER UNTIL YOUR FOREHEAD BLEEDS’.

lol
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope you guys run with this, there's definitely room for a forum focused on video game story writing. Should be fun watching this unfold, make sure you get off on the right foot, set the tone for what it is the forum is and does.

If you could find a couple guys on the inside into the forum to maybe give you guys a writing subject and some guidlines i really think that could set you guys up nicely. Maybe run a competition, use self-regulation to come up with a top 10 and have a "winner" selected by an industry pro.

Anyway, might be getting ahead of myself, this type of forum has lots of potential and I hope some of you writing guys with gumption get something together!
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    I too would like to be a part of this. I keep meaning to write short stories and keep in practice but it's hard to find motivation.

A brand new forum might just be the place I need!