Home General Discussion

UE3 on Iphone

Replies

• LoTekK
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    ...Holy shit. o_O I wonder how much voodoo's going on there.
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    What about us Android users :P Looks great though, I hope more people hit the mobile gaming market. I spend a hell of a lot more time playing games on my phone than my pc or xbox...
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    haha... well hmmm airborn for handheld would actually be pretty doable, but well hummm any more support for other platforms planned? android or psp? ^^
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    "And it’s not just about iPhone support. Mark told me that as soon as CES we’ll see Unreal Engine 3 on another mobile platform entirely. More announcements will happen throughout 2010. This isn’t a platform specific thing, it’s about bringing Unreal Engine 3 to the entire portable market."

Is all that's being said right now as far as other platforms.
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Epic is well... epic.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Most impressive! Even without the normal mapping, it still looks great from the lighting. Nice to see it running on a mobile platform with such a decent framerate.
  • kwakkie
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Cool stuff!!! I like how everything looks, its like the opposite of normal/specular map shinyness, but with grainy shadowmaps or something :p Pretty cool style!
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    I swear to god if you guys put that on Symbian and nothing else I'm gonna be pissed...

But seriously, Epic never stops amazing me. This should really innovate the mobile market.
  • CrazyButcher
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    it's pretty nuts how fast these mobile devices are produced for the trashcan, given how quickly new generation models come out and render the old stuff useless.
    great engineering (hard- and software)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    UnrealEd on the Mac and iphone? Yes please.
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, really impressed. Then again I have been with what the iPhone can do, its just a shame it has no tactile feedback :(

I hope by "other platforms" he means next gen DS/PSP, because a nice, UE3 powered FPS on the next DS would be amazing... That is, if they give it half decent specs. Still, I'm sure the PSP2 will have good specs, just as long as I can still stick my homebrew on it.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Wow wtf, mind-blowing...
    Just thinking about the idea I would've shrugged it off as completely unrealistic and impossible. I don't think I'm able to comprehend the amount of optimization and changes that went into the iPhone build.
    I'm really wondering how similar it still is in terms of editor interface for the artists?
  • odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I would imagine that it would be exactly the same...? I mean, everythings still done on PC, so I can't see anything being different other than LOD.
  • Sean VanGorder
    For those who want even less of a social life. Wish I had an iPhone.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    JordanW wrote: »
    "And it’s not just about iPhone support. Mark told me that as soon as CES we’ll see Unreal Engine 3 on another mobile platform entirely. More announcements will happen throughout 2010. This isn’t a platform specific thing, it’s about bringing Unreal Engine 3 to the entire portable market."

Is all that's being said right now as far as other platforms.

Android. (Or Blackberry) hopefully. Unhopefully they don't get suckered in with MS to support their cellphones OS.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice, it's surprising to see what mobile devices are capable of. I'd like more info on the controls though, how does one jump, change weapons etc I mean.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Ok? So what is so amazing about this? It's diffuse and baked lighting only, didn't someone here get baked lighting working in unity, and that does normal maps and spec maps too?
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    TGZ.. I'm potentially stoked about this, cause UEd's a relative easy engine to jump in and mess about with. If they do like they've done with Unreal and release a game and editor package, it'd mean a huge and relative accepting environment for the mod community.

At the very least, it'd mean an easy way to play around with getting 3d models and environments on a portable system.
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    the question is, is this full ue3 or just a crippled version, because if it were the full thing the engine could live very long on the iphone
    otherwise they had to fuck around every new iphone generation, that would nag me
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    TGZ, game engines aren't just about the complexity of the shaders. There's a lot to be said for usability of tools,level editors, and scripting.
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    Ok? So what is so amazing about this? It's diffuse and baked lighting only, didn't someone here get baked lighting working in unity, and that does normal maps and spec maps too?

That will come, I'm sure of it. This was a demo, a mere test.

Yeah, that stuff works in Unity, but too bad the toolset and engine run like a wet towel.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I know, but the editors ease of use is not something they are showing, nor if they are even still using it for this. I'm merely pointing out the fact that from an outside point of view(VERY outside) there is nothing new going on here. Epic tech demos have always been about the pretty shaders so its a bit odd to see them demo something with out them at all.
  • carlo_c
    Didn't see this one coming, although it makes a lot of sense in terms of business and engine licenses.

It makes me wonder what other projects Epic has going on behind closed doors :)
  • JordanW
    Offline / Send Message
    "nor if they are even still using it for this"

Eh yeah that's the point of saying UE3 on the iphone, the UnrealEngine3 editor was used to make this demo.
  • Davision3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    impressive stuff, i wonder what is all stripped out of the engine to make it work for the iphone
  • ColinR
    Offline / Send Message
    ColinR polycounter lvl 9
    I was looking at some screenshots off that game Nova the other day (which looks quite impressive) and I was wondering why exactly Epic has yet to look into the handheld market in someway.......looks like they were at it behind closed doors all this time.

And yes, must bet it's interesting to know what exactly they cut away to enable it to run that smoothly. Looks great in that short video.
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    Honesty, if you think about, they probably won't have to pull out too much. The screen res will be no where near ehat a pc is, the texture sizes will be a lot smaller, etc... I'm sure not much will change from the editor and what not, just how things are handled.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Seriously? In terms of programming I don't think you're grasping what an insane task it must've been to port all this code, code that was most probably never written with such a goal in mind. I guess it's a testimony to how well written the engine is in the first place that they're able to pull this off.
    I wish I could talk to the programmers that are on this project, would love to hear some info about the porting.
  • DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Seriously? In terms of programming I don't think you're grasping what an insane task it must've been to port all this code, code that was most probably never written with such a goal in mind. I guess it's a testimony to how well written the engine is in the first place that they're able to pull this off.
    I wish I could talk to the programmers that are on this project, would love to hear some info about the porting.

I didn't mean it wasn't hard for the programmers. I'm sure that the engine was re done, and I'm sure it took a hell of a lot of time and effort.

I was referring to the user/designer end of the engine. I meant that I bet it wasn't as scaled down for the end users. Epic did all the hard for us :P
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    My first thought was Mark Rein saying he'd never port UE3 to the Wii because it was too underpowered. Then I also thought about how much intel integrated graphics piss him off because the bar is set too low for Epic's engines.

Then they just happen to port UE3 to something where the bar is practically laying beneath the floor...lol
  • arrangemonk
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    isnt it normal for this kind of guys to make false preophecies?
  • Tom Ellis
    While I agree this is pretty awesome news, and definitely something to watch if it's something UDK users will have access to, I don't have hopes of seeing it anytime soon at all.

Didn't UT3 get promised for Mac like 28 years before it was released... has it even been released?!

Very cool, but I'm not holding my breath to see the next stage in this development.
  • mLichy
    Looks to me like Unity and Torque have some competition coming. Although, both are very cheap (torque and Unity) compared to Unreal, so maybe they will release a cheaper build or something.
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looking forward to playing with this :) if its made available to non-licensees
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Which doesn't look like it's going to be the case, unfortunately.