Home Technical Talk

Please little help for buying a new config?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sama.van polycounter lvl 14
Hi,

I really would like to start working on hi poly under Zbrush or Mudbox, but I got some difficults with my current laptop.
You can see the laptop's specification on the bottom I done from the dxDiag window.

Then 2 questions :

-*-First I would like some feedback about my current Laptop configuration and if this is normal hipoly work is bugging and freezing on it :)...

-*- Second I would like to know if you know a good maker with pre-build configuration I can access from Japan.
I don't want to create a customized computer myself I already spent lot of Euros for it

I found the T3500 on the Dell's website and It could be very kind if someone could say more to me about it...

http://www1.jp.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/workstation-precision-t3500?c=jp&l=ja&s=bsd&cs=jpbsd1

With some translation of mine it should give that :

- intel® Xeon® Processor W3520 (8MB L2 Cache、2.66GHz、4.8GT/s)
- Windows® XP Professional SP3 (Windows® 7 Professional
正規版 32Bit トダウングレード版)(日本語版)
- 4GB (1GBx4) DDR3 SDRAM Memory (1066MHz、ECC)<2GBより無料アップグレード!>
- 250 HDD SATA
- DVD Super Multi Drive (What that? a multi reading things O_O?)
- ATI® FirePro V3750 256MB DDR3 (PCIe x16, DVIx1 Port, DPx1 Port ,DB-15変換 コネクタx1,DP-DVI変換コネクタx1)

...This is the 2nd one (124 000 yens)

(And I really would like a N-Vidia card... ATI... I don't know.... what about the "NVIDIA(R) Quadro(R) NVS 295 256MB DDR 2枚" ? Price is very similar with the current ATI...)

On the US website, you can find this page about the T3500 :
http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/workstation-precision-t3500?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

... but configurations are not same... -__-...

You can also click on the Customize it button finding the list of the custom pieces you can change...

I currently mainly work on iPhone, but when I'm working with a 2048x2048 psd file, laptop's is near dying... -__-...

Last info, I work with Maya2009 and Photoshop CS4 (And I can't change this)... Maybe it could help for the OS or the Graphical card...
I don't know yet if I will mainly work with Z-Brush or Mudbox o_<

Really thank you for this help...

Inspiron1520-Stats.jpg

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both of the video cards you mention will have very limited and poor performance texturing in Mudbox 2009 and 2010 because of the small amount of on board vram 256 MB.

Mudbox texturing relies solely on the ram on the video card. I would suggest 512 MB minimum and you really should try to get 1 GB vram or more.

IIRC Mudbox has a hard time with ATI cards unless you are on a Mac, best to check on the AREA forum to see if anyone is complaining about them.

Sorry I know nothing about Zbrush hardware and performance needs.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    geforce 280 or something is good to go
    and dont use a xeon, its too expensive for what it does
    better go with an amd64 or core i7 quadcore or whatever
    and use a 64 bit os
    then youre lucky
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I've been buying my stuff from here: http://www.dospara.co.jp

And they have nice configs for CG stuff with Quadros and stuff ::LINK::
    Or check out the gaming rigs: ::LINK::

Oh, I met your buddy Giyomu on Mixi :P
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol Lamont, the Galleria XF look pretty cool ^___^!!!
    And it follows everything everyone is saying here.... eccept the AMD... but looking nice to me and price too!!!

With My translation it will give that .. if somone would like to give his opinion too... :

■Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 860 (Quad /定格2.80GHz/TB時最大3.46GHz/L3 Cache 8MB/HT対応)
    ■NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX285 搭載 Video Card (1GB / PCI Express2.0)
    ■4GB Memory (DDR3 SDRAM PC3-10600 / Dual Channel)
    ■1TB HDD (SATA Ⅱ)
    ■DVD SUPER MULTIDRIVE 
    ■Intel® P55 Express CHIPSET ATX Motherboard
    ■Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit Pre-Installed

Lamont : Yeah we are having some business with Giyomu but we are overload of work then... it's adding a little delay :)
    you can find a little preview here ^_^! [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmu0K8SKZoI[/ame]
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a good setup. That's the ju-mon one right? You can always toss the mobo and get 6 gigs of ram. If you really want to put one together, I can try and find a good price under 100,000 yen.

And if that game plays the way I think, I wanna get it.

Also, first 500 people get a PS3 if they spend 100,000 or more on a PC. You can sell the PS3 and make up some of the cost.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah sure, arround 100 000 yen will help me to buy a second screen... Because I planned to use my dual of my laptop... then single screen for yet...

But 6go of RAM (DDR3 ? ) with a 1Go GeForce, under 100 000 this is probably pretty difficult, isn't it?
    One of my hope will also go in the Aeration system... because as you know weather is damn crazy here in Japan arround July-September T_T.... I'm not sure my senpuuki will help for that :D:D
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha!! Yeah, I think I can do it for 100,000. Give me a few moments.

It would be easy in the US... everything here has that island premium. Have to buy national brand stuff like Owl.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pfft, get that. There is no way I can get a machine done for 100,000 yen and to those specs. A mobo, memory, videocard, CPU is already 100,000 yen and I didn't add the DVD burner, power supply, case or HDD's. That's another 35,000 yen.

I made a pretty good machine with 6 gigs of memory, a better mobo, a good PSU and a 1TB HDD. Came out to 127,000 yen.
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah hmmm... it's ok...
    I will take the url you gave to me anyway.
    And if the computer is already 4 time for fast that my current laptop it's alreay good... and when I will get a little more money I can buy some RAM ^_^!!!

I just droped the 1To HDD to a 350Go for saving 2500 yens because I think with experience a big Hardrive is not useful at all and also bring lot of problems once crashing.... then I have some 250Go externak HDD here ^_^, this is the best deal ever!
    Same for the DVD burning,. I don't need to burn anything, a simple reader is ok... and it drops 1000yens again..

Really thanks you for help, I will add some feedbacks once I will get it after I'll try it with Maya, photoshop and maybe Z-Brush too.

My last worry is about the 550W alimentation with the GeForce card... is it ok? O_o??
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just for saying I bought the Galerian configuration from the Japanese website :

■Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 860 (Quad /定格2.80GHz/TB時最大3.46GHz/L3 Cache 8MB/HT対応)
    ■NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX285 搭載 Video Card (1GB / PCI Express2.0)
    ■4GB Memory (DDR3 SDRAM PC3-10600 / Dual Channel)
    ■350GB HDD (SATA Ⅱ) (was 1TB but I saved 3000 yen)
    ■DVD SUPER MULTIDRIVE 
    ■Intel® P55 Express CHIPSET ATX Motherboard
    ■Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit Pre-Installed
    ■ Mouse (big thing....)
    ■ Keyboard (too big thing.. I will give it to my 6 months baby haha... )
    ■ 127 000 yens.

It works very good with Maya 2009 64bits also Photoshop CS4 and one.
    Unity is running pretty well too.
    And Widnow 7 64 bits is quite better than Vista and there are very cool new option!
    Window mode classic is running good too.

Only bad point is about the Japanese OS,
    I had to change the language to English with : http://www.froggie.sk/
    To change all the regional information, etc...
    Also because of Japan I got all applications like MSN, Thunderbird, firefoz, etc.. in Japanese...
    I got help from friends in another country for getting them.

Anyway, good service, I got the computer 2 days after buying in on internet and I live very far away from Tokyo (The company is on Tokyo).

Then if you live in Japan and looking for a new configuration, here is the url :

http://www.dospara.co.jp/5goods_pc/pc_list.php?h=d&f=d&m=pc&tc=80&a=r
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much any of these stores are quick with delivery and on Sundays too since they use private delivery service places. You buy something online and the slowest date for delivery is like 3 days (Unless you're in Hokkaido or Okinawa probably). Usually it's next-day or two-day, small country :D!! And COD is always a nice option!

You can change the OS language for installed apps/prompts and whatever within Windows. I run Vista Ultimate, so that could be an Ultimate only thing.
  • muppo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it is a nice puter only downside i guess the videocard is way old and expensive for what it offer , an ati 5870 or 5850 would have been much better.
    using an 585o with mudbox and it run great never had probd till now under win7 64bit
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    muppo >>> oh yeah but I'm a friendly user of NVIDIA!! 3years ago I knえw some people using an ATI card and had some problem with the Maya’s view-port... then I don't want to play with that... N-vidia never create problem to me... maybe except with the trilinear mipmapping option under Maya 2009 but could be a Maya's bug ... o_<

http://www.dospara.co.jp/goods_pc_topics/share.php?contents=vga_def

Lamont >>> ahah yeah and the delivery cost is free! ahah! thanks for the tips!