Home General Discussion

Any game art teachers in here?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
aphexx polycounter lvl 12
hi folks, i'd like to know if some other game art teachers are here, to exchange some experience concerning teaching other people game art.

currently i've got the task to design a "3d art"-curriculum for a 4 semester game art course. excluding animation!
so characters and environment.
so we constantly meet with our staff and we are on a good way i think. but i also like to know, how other schools or teachers do it.

also i have some special questions. i.e.
- how you face an uneven knowledge gradient even at later semesters
- or what do you do concerning motivation
- or how is your approach on connecting the contents of different courses
- how much do you integrate homework, and how do you review it?
- what do you do with "low profile" students, that seem to stop the whole course or current lecture

i found some solutions to some of the points above for me, but i'd like to chat about how you do it. so if you like to get in contact, i'd really appreciate.
feel free to send me a message via icq or skype.
or we could also discuss in this thread.
skype:[URL="skype:sascha.henrichs?userinfo"]sascha.henrichs[/URL]

i'll post this thread also in other forums, so dont be surprised stumbling over this one when you are in your daily roam ;)

Replies

• crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Not a teacher but as a student I might be able to give some tips, having had some good teachers and some not-so-good teachers.

I think the best thing you can do is to foster self reliance in your students, make the class an open forum that teaches itself. Don't give every answer right away, let the kids get involved in thinking of solutions and helping each other. In the early quarters of introductory 3d, yes, it's incredibly important to give concise information about how to use 3d. In the later classes students need to learn to push themselves and excel at their own pace. Directing them to polycount doesn't hurt.

- how you face an uneven knowledge gradient even at later semesters?
    This problem kinda takes care of itself. Good students will learn regardless as long as you're doing a halfway decent job of teaching, encourage your class to help each other. That said, just answer as many questions as you can, it's the job.

- or what do you do concerning motivation
    Simple, be motivated yourself, they'll follow suite. Don't nitpick the small things, be enthusiastic about game art. Build up those who do a good job, and make little jabs at those who aren't doing such a good job, but don't be a dick about it. Competition is motivating and fun. Also, when you give an assignment, show art done by pros that pertain to the assignment to give students a benchmark and get excited at well made art. Identify what's strong in each of these professional pieces so students develop an artistic eye that they can use to critique their own work with.

- or how is your approach on connecting the contents of different courses
    I wouldn't sweat this, anyone who plays games know how these courses interlock, and in the business it isn't necessary to be a generalist. Those who gravitate towards a jack of all trades skillset don't need guidance towards that.

- how much do you integrate homework, and how do you review it?
    This of course depends entirely on the class. One of the best things you can do is the in-class presentation. It rewards students who do a good job and embarrasses students who did a poor one. Just have 'em load up their renders on one computer and have them present their work 1 by 1. Again, this teaches the students to become self reliant, puts them in the judges chair for a bit to learn from other students work. Students will also see who they can ask questions to for help with their own work.

-what do you do with "low profile" students, that seem to stop the whole course or current lecture
    If they're asking questions and slowing down the lecture at least they're giving it a go. Help 'em as much as you can. If you feel you aren't getting enough time to teach the more advanced students be very open to having questions asked by email, or extending class into break.
  • aphexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aphexx polycounter lvl 12
    thank you for this great feedback crazyfingers!
    these tips are very helpful. since i'm into teaching for 3 years now, i have found some solutions for me, but some of your tips are just gold and refreshing to me!

-Don't give every answer right away, let the kids get involved in thinking of solutions..
    thats a good one which works brilliant for later semsters. i also saw this. though i did not extensively exploited this teaching method. being more a "moderator" always gave me a feeling of "doing not enough". but your suggestion encourages to use it more

- show art done by pros.... Identify what's strong in each of these professional pieces so students develop an artistic eye
    very good tip! good that you metioned this one. i nearly never did this-
    shame on me. i mostly only discuss our own work.
    to teach an artistic eye is a huge "to do" for me, but since this was always a slow process, fed by the critique on their own work (their output is fairly low), your tip may help alot!

- (connecting contents) Those who gravitate towards a jack of all trades skillset don't need guidance towards that.
    but would it be helpful for a student, if the teachers would more work together? i.e. char modeling teacher makes a sci fi char, and environment teacher make the sci fi weapon for him instead of a medieval axe?

- (homework) One of the best things you can do is the in-class presentation.
    very good one. i will definitely try this one! until now i rated the homework like a test and gave written feedback. which was also very timeconsuming

- be very open to having questions asked by email, or extending class into break.
    yes im really in good contact to the enthusiastic ones, and its great. i also always get good feedback concerning this matter.
    also i regularly give extra hours, where the motivated ones are all in. even at saturday evenings ;)

so thank you again for your feedback!! its really helpful, and i will definitely use it!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Its an art class, treat it like one.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    If you expect a lot out of them, you'll get it. If just any piece of crap they turn in gets them a passing grade, then that's what 90% will give you.
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir wrote: »
    If you expect a lot out of them, you'll get it. If just any piece of crap they turn in gets them a passing grade, then that's what 90% will give you.

So true
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont hesitate to fail them, and berate them.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    If they aren't already required, make an array of fine art courses mandatory prior to taking any CG.