Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Powerglove 2.0

onomatoTina
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
onomatoTina polycounter lvl 6
Hi!
I've started working on a futuristic glove that I'm roughly basing off of the Nintendo Powerglove. Unfortunately I'm not as amused about the idea as when I first decided to make it, but I'm hoping it turns out alright and less lame than the original powerglove.

Here's what I have so far! I'm going to be adding the 'buttons' on the forearm part of the glove in some form (lights?), and there will be the connecting cord between the two pieces as in the Nintendo Powerglove.

There will also be an illuminated circular energy-intake on the palm of the glove. Currently working off of a few sketches that keep on changing themselves... :) Any kind of input, in any direction, would be great!

tinawang_powerglove.jpg

tinawang_powerglove_hpwip_top.jpg

tinawang_powerglove_hpwip.jpg

Replies

• onomatoTina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some updates!
    Wondering when I cross the line into silly with the buttons.

tinawang_powerglove_hp1.jpg

tinawang_powerglove_hp2.jpg

tinawang_powerglove_lpwire.jpg
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    I enjoy the look of this, looks nice, keep at it :)
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this For wii ? LOL
  • onomatoTina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha! Yeah =p
    Here's some more progress on it! Baked and applied normal maps on the lowpoly...

powerglove_lpnormap.jpg

and here's the wireframe over it

powerglove_wire.jpg

There are some issues with the normal map on the buttons that I need to try and fix :/ I wonder if I should just make them higher poly...?
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    I think you just need to adjust your cage, looks like its trying to project the corners of the high poly onto the top of the low, nice bake on that connecting cord though.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you don't really need so much detail on the low poly, for example the buttons can just be single caps instead of the 3 ringed caps you have now. Also the indent in the sleeve isn't doing you any favours, as the low poly is fighting to replicate the baked details ontop of it's self. A far better result would come from not modelling that detail at all and let the baked indent be mapped to flat polygons.

Also you have quite a few 5 sided polygons in there, not sure if this your intention or not.

It's a nice model, I guess any optimisation would come down to the age old argument of deciding it is worth it. If you do decide to optimise the mesh, you could probably cut the triangle count by half and have the same looking model with virtually no difference when seen in game.
  • onomatoTina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shrew- Thanks! I did them again separately with cages and it helped.

hawken- Ahh I had already worked on it further before you posted. Thanks a lot for the input! Definitely agree about the lowpoly fighting the baked indent in the sleeve. The normal map wasn't getting the amount of depth I wanted for it though, still debating on what to do with that. In regards to the optimization--I did lose sight of the actual scale of this piece in a game. :) Will be sure to keep it more in mind next time. Thanks again!

Here's an update-
    glove_textured.jpg

Any input on colors or whatnot would be great. I attempted to mimic the original powerglove's colors to some degree. The red will be much more glowy in unreal, but just... pretend for now.

Thanks a lot!
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    This makes me want to make my own rendition of it, playing really heavy on their old slogan of "Now you're playing with Power!" Or I'd go crazy with adding more connecting wires between the two pieces. Giant unnecessary stuff in there to make it more of a parody of it all.

Sadly, I have no time. :P

Anyhow, as for actual critiques... I'm not a fan of your Dpad you have in there. The design you have indented into the top of the Dpad is rather... bleh. I'd look more into inspiration from an NES controller's Dpad rather than the one on the powerglove.

nescontroller4ad.jpg

The same holds true for your start/select buttons.... and I'd think about trying to incorporate some of the NES controller elements into your texture. The weird grey bars that the controller has matches the weird dashed lines on the console itself and the cartridges if you'd try to make this fit in your design somehow I think that'd make it scream NES a bit more.

Overall though I love the idea of the piece and how it's coming together. I'd just try to put that little bit extra in there to make it feel like it belongs to the NES, rather than it not.
  • onomatoTina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk- wow, I don't think I can ever outdo that one. :(

LlamaJuice- Thanks a lot! I definitely was looking for more of those design elements and wasn't getting many ideas from just the powerglove. Newly inspired now!