Home Technical Talk

32bit Color: Industry Default for Display

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Hey ok so I cant figure out this. What is the industrial numerical standard for 32bit color. Percentage wise 0-100% for each channel, or like Photoshop displays, as behind the decimal point (.0-1).?

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    32bit as in 24bit RGB + 8bit alpha = 32 bit?
    • 8bit Red channel
    • 8bit Blue channel
    • 8bit Green channel
    • 8bit grayscale alpha

in that case for each channel 0 - 255 or 1-256 depending on the scripting language.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I was just looking through Unity's docs last night, and I think their JS scripting uses 0-1 for each rgb value.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    thats just a floating value representation, in the end its stored as a 8bit short value (integer from 0-255).
    What unity does in the background is simply multiplying that number with 255 and convert it to a integer value.

For web development especially in the area of Flash Hexadecimal values are very speedy to work with because you don't have to copy and paste multiple entries but just 1 string to represent 24 and or even 32 bit color values, like 0FFF006C1 for a solid pink. They also work great in After Effects, Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Unfortunately many other industry applications haven't yet fully adopted that model like 3dsmax. In that case you always have to swap applications and copy paste all 3 RGB/A values over.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0FFF006C1

Wait a min, perhaps slightly off-topic but I thought hex only used 6 digits? As in:

#FF9900 being 255-153-00

So how exactly would it work if you got nine digits?

#0FFF006C1 = 025-125-?? I'm confused :[
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    #AARRGGBB
    it depends on the app and if it supports it, otherwise you are right its just 6 for the RRGGBB. The first 2 of the 8 digits are the alpha value.
    But I guess hex values don't matter much here since autodesk doesn't know about them in their apps.