Home Technical Talk

reflections/alphas on materials in UDK

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ablaine polycounter lvl 14
Okay, so I'm trying to set up my materials in UDK for this character I've been working on.. and I'm having a couple issues with it.

First, I'm not sure how to make the metal armor on my character look more.. metallic. I have the specular set up.. I still need to create a quick gloss map... but is there any way to use a cube map for reflections for just those parts, or something? Just something to give them more of a reflective polished armor look?

Also.. it doesn't look like the CH_base_all material that I have my MIC parented to will allow me to use alpha masks for hair and such. Will I need to create my own special shader for hair to allow for anistropy and alpha and two sided to be turned on? Does someone have an example of a hair shader tree I can look at?

Thanks!

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi ablaine you should really ask these questions in the Unreal Developer Kit - MASTER THREAD, it helps keep all of this information together in one place.

Here's a tutorial from UDN on how to get nice highlights using a cube map, just scroll down to the "Cube Maps with HDR" section. You can probably use your specular or gloss map as a mask for your cube map.

Your going to have to use a pretty generic cube map on your character as cube maps aren't inherently dynamic. A regular cube map represents reflections from one specific location which won't move with your character. I have seen a material in one of Epic's levels that switched cube maps based on world position, but I can't remember which one it was. Xoliul has been trying to get real time reflections to work with a car, you should PM him to see if he got it working yet.

Here's a Anisotropic Shader For Hair tutorial.
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Thank you Ben! (next time my UDK quetions will be posted in the proper thread) Cheers :)