Home Technical Talk

Bodypaint 3D & 3DS Max

CJE
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CJE polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

I need some help. I'm having an issue getting the bodypaint 3d exchange plugin to work properly.

I'm using max 2009 and Bodypaint 3D 3.1. I have the newest version of the plugin and installed it correctly.

when I select export scene it opens up Bodypaint and all I get is some light (I think thats what the blue null is) instead of my model.

I've tried this in Max 2010 and bodypaint 4.5, with the same result.

What am I doing wrong here?

wtfr.jpg

Replies

• CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm having the exact same issue....
    CJE, what is it that you did that fixed this probelm (or didn't do)? Thoughts from anyone else...?
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Could it be a scale issue? that the model is there, just VERY VERY VERY tiny?
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the quick reply :)

it could be a scale issue...
    When I zoom in the blue star just gets bigger and bigger and bigger... when I go to frame scene, everything disapears, showing nothing.

I exprted/improted the model into a new scene in Max (because when I open the obj straight into body paint, its fine) and the result is the same.

...so if its a scale issue, I not sure how I would fix it...?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    tried with a box or some other scene? I have no clue, just thinking general troubleshooting stuff. good luck fixing this!
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    it is most likely a scale thingy, thats what most apps fail at these days - custom unit systems. Triy working with internal units instead of fake units such as meters, inch and alike. You only need those if you are working with specific MR shaders, architecture visualization or have issues thinking in game engine units.
    Internal units are the ones that are used when exporting to OBJ, DAE, FBX,... they are what really describe the vert positions.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    make a model in bodypaint, any of the primitives will do and export. then import that into max and compare your model to what came out of bodypaint. I think your model might be too big. I think I had this problem awhile back and ended up having to scale down the model and then had to reset the xform so it would stick.
  • animax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animax polycounter lvl 15
    It could be a issue with bodypaint connection also.I was using, bodypaint 4.5 wit 3dsmax2009, without any issues.Are you using the bodypaint utility for max which is provided with bodypaint 4.5?Cause that's the one which worked for me.Not the one which was there with bodypaint 3.1.

The latest plugin is at their site.Following is the link.
    http://www.maxon.net/downloads/updates-co/updates/bodypaint-3d.html

If you are still having the issue, then try lowering the Field of View to 10 and then send to bodypaint, it might work.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the responses!

I tried scaling up and exporting, and it seems to do the same. Scaling down though I haven't tried yet, but will be next on my list.

In body paint I tired changing the units in the prefernces, but it only has generic mm, cm, meter, feet etc. and changing them to match my max scene doesn't seem to work.
    However, strangly trying the plugin on a different computer (maxs teapot on 32bit... if it matters) it works fine. Same new scene, no units set, same procedure (on xp64) doesn't work. .... haven't yet decided what conclusions to make of that yet, other than default settings must be changed(?) or that not having quicktime (alternative for xp64 doesn't install properly) is having some effect other than the the texture files... ...

I've got my fingers crossed on the scaling down :)
    Thanks again!
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks animax, I didnt see your post,
    will definatley try that, I know my bodypaint version is really old... so I'll give it a try

thanks again!
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Try this-
    In bodypaint go to Window > Layout > BP 3D Paint

Also, to simplify things-
    In max, make sure to use Export Selected (instead of export object or scene)
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again for the responses!

I tried scalling down the model and reseting the xform, and downloading the newest plug in, I've got BD3dPaint on, and I've been using the export selected command, and have changed the field of view on my perspective camera to 10, with still no changes... .. .

on that note:

I tired exporting the opened obj from bodypaint and bringing it into max and its the same size as my model... @Sage, I'm not sure how to make a primitve in body paint... so I was assuming that was what you meant... :)
  • animax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Neevah,let me re-evaluate everything.

I have tried this on xp 64 bit, with max 2009 64bit and cinema 4d 11 with bodypaint

the new plugin is not compatible with bodypaint 3.1.the exisiting plugin which comes with 3.1 doesnt work in max 2009 64bit.

The plugin you get from their site, if you are using 32 bit max then use the 32 bit plugin and call(Set bodypaint 3d Path in the plugin) the 32 bit version of cinema4d 11 with bodypaint(we had both 32 & 64bit) same goes for the 64 bit plugin.

I just tried in another colleague's machine with xp 64bit + 3dsmax 2009 64bit + bodypaint exchange plugin 64bit + cinma4d 11 64bit and it worked perfectly.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    Is there a way to use the old classic way: exporting OBJ and opening it in BP? - I mean it might not be convenient but it gets the job done in the end- or you need specifics?
  • animax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that's always possible, without any issues.But max>bodypaint>photoshop workflow is really fantastic.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses!

Animax, when I downloaded the new plugins, I just put the 2 files into the max plugin folder... so your recap on this
    and call(Set bodypaint 3d Path in the plugin) the 32 bit version of cinema4d 11 with bodypaint

I dont follow - also because I don`t have cinema 4d.

I probably will end up do it the `classic`way - I was just hoping I was making a stupid ass mistake and could save some annoyances :)

Thanks again!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    to make a primitive in bodypaint just go under tools object then pick something.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks sage! I would have never of guessed that bp could create primitives... :poly137::)

exporting a basic cube is about the right size in my max file... well, about 3 times shorter than my characters hieght but close enough...
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    bodypaint is just a module of cinema 4d. you get all the basic features of cinema 4d when you buy bodypaint. so yeah you can model in the program to the best of my knowledge. I don't use bodypaint, I just played with it awhile back.

Okay the other option is to select all and then frame your object. Turn on the cinema 4d layout it's under window, and then look for a way to frame selected. I forget the name, but it has a way to make the program frame the object in your view. If the object is too small or big for example you should be able to tell by making a new object and comparing it to what came in from Max.
  • Neavah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sage,

I don't have the option to 'select all' maybe something I'm doing wrong, or part of the probelm...?
    When I hit the 'frame scene' the blue star just disapears..... when I import a primitive from BP into max its approximatly the right size (1/2 the hieght of my character)...

BP works fine if I import... so I've just been sucking it up and doing things that way for now... Thanks again though for everyones sugestions, and help! :)