Home General Discussion

Good Budget Gaming Mouse

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Would like to keep sub 60.

My trusty old Logitech MX500 has lost its sensitivity to left clicks. Which is not cool considering Im in crunch.

Anyhow, I need a new mouse, and I just cant bring myself to buy a cheapy to get me through this. I went to Office Depot and picked up a Logitech M500 thinking it was a newer version of this, but after reading the reviews on newegg about it loosing its front pads after a month. Not the same quality.

What would people suggest?

This Gigabyte looks interesting
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826146005

Razers overated?

Good ol Logitech
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104178

^^ This seems closest to what I had, but the free shipping for the G500 makes it only about 10 dollars more than this one.

Thoughts?

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    I have a razor deathadder and really like it. I use to use a g5 but it broke down on me so I figured I'd give something different a whirl. The deathadder is really light though, I know some people like heavy mouses but for a 40-50 dollar mouse I think its a good buy, has some wicked precision.
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    I know I'm not the market for this kinda thing, but I bought a 5 button, 2 wheel mouse a few years ago, and it hasn't failed me. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to small irregularities or whatever the hell reason people pay $50 for a mouse, but my little $10 GE mouse is perfect.

Is there a REAL reason those mice are so expensive? Is there a real reason you need that kind of mouse? Honestly curious, not trying to take the piss.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Cyber Snipa Stinger

Best cheap mouse I have ever used. I have reviewed loads of mouses, most of them between $50 and $100 and oddly, this little guy at arround $32 is the one I like most. It has weights you can add to it to make it as heavy as you like. Tilt wheel, programable macros and it just plain looks cool :P
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S wrote: »
    I know I'm not the market for this kinda thing, but I bought a 5 button, 2 wheel mouse a few years ago, and it hasn't failed me. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to small irregularities or whatever the hell reason people pay $50 for a mouse, but my little $10 GE mouse is perfect.

Is there a REAL reason those mice are so expensive? Is there a real reason you need that kind of mouse? Honestly curious, not trying to take the piss.

Yes. In Photoshop in example, attempt to change the color shift one step at a time with a normal mouse. I can do it of course with the wacom, but there are those times, where I need something done that just grabbing the mouse is easier.

I'll admit I probably wont notice in games.. except the ability to switch the dpi so I can do a quick 180, then go to another dpi for precision shots. Thats a big plus to me.

Quality is also increased many times. Look at how long the original mx500 lasted me.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar wrote: »
    Cyber Snipa Stinger

Best cheap mouse I have ever used. I have reviewed loads of mouses, most of them between $50 and $100 and oddly, this little guy at arround $32 is the one I like most. It has weights you can add to it to make it as heavy as you like. Tilt wheel, programable macros and it just plain looks cool :P

You said you review these? Have you had a chance to try the Gigabyte out? I'm debating between your suggestion and this.

Cyba Sniper:
    -Looks comfortable/feel like current.
    -Macros once setup in memory via windows should work in Linux (supposedly).
    -Dedicated company to game peripherals.

Cons
    -Scroll wheel isn't flat type. (Hate how these press into the middle of my mid finger. Can become painful long term gaming)
    -Software hasn't been updated since 2007 it looks like. Yet claims Win7 functionality.
    -2007 tech

Gigabyte
    -Possible comfortable.
    -Good button placement.
    -Flat scroll wheel.
    -2008 tech
    -Read software less memory hog than say logitech.

Cons
    -Unknown if macros will carry across platforms.
    -Medium hand fit from reviewer claims. Unsure what my hand is.
    -Unsure of button comfort. Though No complaints from reviewers in this regard.
    -Drivers on site dated from 06/09, and have no notice about Win7 functionality.
    -Long term support? Gigabyte is a big company. They might drop the mice line, and then what?
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
  • Mio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mio polycounter lvl 13
    razor deathadder or mx518 or G500

no gigabyte

they make motherboard good. but mouse? not that lucky.
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    If you are really short on cash try this :p

My mouse's left click started becoming totally unresponsive, and me being a cheapskate decided to open it up. Turns out the only problem was a small tab on top of the click switch mechanism that had a groove worn into it where the button hits it. I simply shaved it off, built it back up with some tissue paper and superglue and it's as good as new! The click button feels like new!

Dunno if it's the same problem, but worth a shot if you are like me and really attached to the feel of your mouse and don't like spending money when you don't have to ;)
  • EarthQuake
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Can't say anything about the Gigabyte, we don't get samples from them so far as I know but by the responses here I would say its a no go. My suggestion is based purely on gaming performance here. I have been using this mouse since I wrote the review and it hasn't left my desk since. I can't say I prefer it to the MX518 (used it but not reviewed it) for 3d apps and PS work but when it comes to games I find being able to add weights to it, switch DPI with a single click or switch macro profiles on the fly to be pure win in the gaming department. The only issue I have with it is the scroll wheel. I don't like tilting wheels, they tend to tilt when trying to use the middle button in max and rotate my model out of field.... I just made a macro for max that set tilt left and right as the same as middle button and its golden.

In the end it depends on the primary use of the mouse. If you want to use it primarily for gaming then the Stinger is definately worth a look but if its more for working then you may prefer the MX518 or similar.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mx518 <3

That is all..
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    I'm apparently very hard on mice.

I have a MX518. I like it a lot, but after a little less then a year of simple home use its left click has started being a little odd, sounding like something is getting caught on release. My Razor stopped working in about 8 months.

I wish these expensive mice would last me a tad longer. I don't think I do anything extraordinary to warrant the short life span.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't the roundness of the mx518 scroll wheel bother you guys who use Max? That's the biggest downfall of what I have now. The weighted scroll/flat wheel of the g500 (and yes, gigabyte) would seem to be easier for long term use.

Hell, I used to use middle click as forward, it worked great.. But I was also limited to the mouse wheel in later mice, and again, the curvature hurt the performance/reaction (and my finger).
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    MX518 is ancient. Get that G500!
  • MattW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattW polycounter lvl 10
    oXYnary wrote: »
    Doesn't the roundness of the mx518 scroll wheel bother you guys who use Max? That's the biggest downfall of what I have now. The weighted scroll/flat wheel of the g500 (and yes, gigabyte) would seem to be easier for long term use.

Hell, I used to use middle click as forward, it worked great.. But I was also limited to the mouse wheel in later mice, and again, the curvature hurt the performance/reaction (and my finger).

I never really noticed the curve of the mouse wheel, I use a stock dell mouse for max at work 9+ hours a day. But then, I don't think I've ever had a flat wheel. Only thing I can't stand are tilt wheels. I found too many times my hand position would tilt the wheel when i was rolling it in max or autocad (at my last job doing arch-vis) and the tilt would cancel it out. Very annoying.
  • ima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ima polycounter lvl 8
    Steelseries Kinzu is a great gaming mouse, cheap too!
    Otherwise I'd recommend an Intellimouse 1.1
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, well I found a good deal on ebay for a refurbished g5 v2. 22 shipped. I couldn't argue with that. I mean, if it turns out to be a hassle, I didn't spend that much. Doesn't include the weights, but honestly? I take all the weight out of my mice as it is.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Helped tremendously.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    MX518

dont need that fancy ass weighted bullshit.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Enjoy your new mouse.

I'm also a Death Adder fan, have one for work and one for each of my two PC's at home. I won't use any other kind now.
  • ErichWK