Home Technical Talk

Quality concerns rendering tga frames to video

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Hey guys, I'm making an avi on the generator, made a basic scene and rendered out an animation but getting really poor results with 3ds max and Premiere Pro. The best I could get was with quicktime using the animation setting at full quality, not perfect but watchable but even then the res had to be turned down otherwise major pixellation occoured.

Here's a video uploaded to Photobucket, the quality isn't far off what I have here locally... (ps: you have to click the image and view on photobucket to see full quality)
th_Generator.jpg

Here a still frame for comparison...
genniescene.jpg

So it's like this, the still frames look good but once they are sequenced there are lots of artifacts occouring. Have tried every codec in Premiere Pro CS4 and 3ds Max9 x64, of which the latter app only has 3 available anyway.
Been thinking maybe I should install 3ds max x32 for the extra codecs that are available but otoh maybe it's to do with one thing I haven't tried yet...

...in Premiere Pro there's an option when you start a new project to have progressive scan, lower field first or higher field first, tried lower field first but not the other two, is there any difference here or could someone enlighten me as to which application I should be using to render a sequence of uncompressed tga's to crystal clear video?

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe render it out directly from Max as "Full Frames (Uncompressed)" then use an app like Virtualdub to recompress, I recommend XViD codec, it's pretty common and good quality.
    You will probably have to download a codec pack (although then you should be able to use it in Premiere I guess?) but Virtualdub is free so that's what I use.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yes, tried uncompressed but it was worse, which is wierd, this was the same in max and premiere. Got virtual dub and xvid, unfortuantely xvid is highly compressed (even though I use it for movies and it's great) premiere pro doesn't seem to like it and just hangs. Also it's not available in x64 max, only jpeg compresser, uncompressed and DVVideo are and jpeg compresser is the best result.

Maybe I should just pussy out and install 3ds max x32 and do all the rendering there inc. sound? It may be less hassle but lol I can't remember the last time I used 32 bit max so still pretty unsure what would be productive.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Quicktime Sorenson 3 compression is pretty good also.

Also, off topic but I recommend you smooth out the curves for the camera movements, looks really fake with the linear movements now.
  • pyromania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pyromania polycounter lvl 18
    Load your tga frames into virtualdub directly then save out a xvid from virtualdub. File>> Open video>> Image sequence. I can never get Premiere to do what I want so I've always used virtualdub and image sequences.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Have you tried compressing using H.264 codec?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Uncompressed can't be worse, it's... uncompressed. Lossless. There should be no artifacts at all watching an uncompressed video. If there are, then something else is going wrong...
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I would never render out a video directly from a 3D app, saving stills (as tga or tiff) is always the best solution, then compresse with Premiere or something. I've always been able to get good results with divx or with H264 quicktime codec out of premiere or after-effects (virtual dub should work fine too).
  • jipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jipe polycounter lvl 17
    You want progressive, not upper or lower fields (which are for interlaced video).

Also, an animation encoded as a Quicktime MOV with the Animation setting (and quality at 100) should look basically identical to your full-res rendered frames -- albeit at a very large file size -- so I'm not sure how you're seeing a drop in quality. Unfortunately I don't use Premiere so I can't help with specific settings, but here's my workflow:

I use After Effects to composite image sequences from Maya and export full-quality uncompressed video files with the Animation setting. Then I throw that huge video file into Quicktime Pro ($30, money well spent) for compression into small, high-quality H264 .mov files. The advantages to QT are cross-platform compatibility and wide market share (as well as not forcing site visitors to download codecs), and QT Pro has two-pass H264 encoding. The disadvantage is Apple's poor support for 64-bit QT on Windows, as well as gamma issues that have been around for years.

Also, the camera movements in your video are awkward and distracting from the model. I recommend a simpler, smoother motion with a lot more easing on those keyframes.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Xoliul, don't have sorenson, doesn't that come with quicktime pro?

pyromania, thanks for the tip, only used vdub once so I didn't know you could do that, awesome!

Ark, yes tried h.264, it was available as a standalone encoder or as a function of quicktime, both results were really poor yet I have heard nothing but good things about it.

MoP, I was wrong, just tried it again and it's a little better uncompressed from max but with premiere pro it's alot worse.

jipe, thanks for the advice, maybe it's this lower field interlaced setting that is causing the disturbances in encoding?
    Should I be using After Effects instead of Premiere Pro?

Thanks for the replies, will change the camera motion, actually set it to linear because I thought it was cooler but...wrong! Will try out a few things now, virtual dub sounds enticing and if people are saying quicktime is a more recognised format than avi I think I will splash out for quicktime pro. Cheers!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    GMCP your settings are messed up in Premiere Pro then when it's rendering out the animation, when it does that it is compressing the file which is why it's a good idea to use a sequence of uncompressed tgas or bmps before you bring it into a program like premiere. If you render out as uncompressed they should look like a still shot. If it doesn't it might be a memory problem. You might have to update premiere, it might have a bug and if that's the problem then Adobe should have a patch for it.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Just sussed out virtual dub and got a perfect crisp result! Something must be up with Premiere Pro, googled a hot fix but nothings coming up so I think I will stay away from that software as it's not woking out. Currently re-rendering the sequence with new smoother camera moves as suggested :) Also dropped on hammersly filter at full quality, always find this better than max's standard 2.5 star, longer render and more frames but should be worth it.

Sage, I tried every codec possible and all the settings, only one was halfway decent. As mentioned previously when starting the project in Premiere - lower first was selected for scan order, according to replies here it should have been progressive scan. If it's not that then there is something seriously wrong. btw I can use xvid, divx, h.264 and many others in a standalone program I use for movies and the results are sweet.

The only question now is if virtual dub can handle audio too then the sequence should be complete, although... there is an intro sequence which has already been rendered to tga's (uncompressed always) and to do is the ending showing which programs were used and contact information etc. If I can link all that together in vdub with audio it could be great.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry if I missed it, what kbps (kilo bits per second) are you compressing to? This has the largest impact on visual quality, across all codecs. Too low, and it's a blurry mess. Too high, and it becomes a giant file that won't play smoothly on slower computers.

1500 kbps is generally OK for 800x600 or so.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    gmcp try to update Premiere it's probably a bug. Maybe that will make a difference. What it seems to be doing is bluring the animation though. I Imagine that happens when you render out your project from Premiere.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4088
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    EricChadwick, the maximum allowed frame rate was selected, one of which was 300kbps for h.264 mov. This was quite low according to some sources. Since I updated the program that factor has been increased, seems like the problem has been solved! Just rendering out the final sequence in premiere now :D

Sage thanks for the advice, program updated via the abobe service (there were alot of updates too) there was an encoding fix listed for adobe media encoder which seemed to fix the problem as I tested a small portion of the sequence and it looked great.

Will pimp the finished thing soon in my thread and thanks guys, as usual it has been a good learning experience :)