Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First post, 5th model : )

This is an axe model for a zombie type game. The model is a combination of my two references.
This is my first post, so I hope it's format and everything is alright

Reference:
axej.th.jpg
fireaxe.th.jpg

Model:
axemodel.jpg

Replies

• Rockman!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update with low poly model and uvs

axewireframe.jpg
    axeuvws.jpg
  • insaneklown89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not bad but you really don't need all of those chamfered edges for a low poly.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    I would say The handle should look less squared, I've seen oval cross section axe handles, but not square Perhaps keep the metal part squarish. especially not with that fighting axe head rather than the firemans axe.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hmm as a matter of fact I think the chamfered edges look very nice and should add a great sense of mass to the final asset, at little cost...
  • Rockman!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your comments!
    Verybad, I would like to fix the problems you pointed out, but I'm a bit confused - I changed the cross section to be more oval, but by handle, do you mean the part the blade conncects to, or the part you grab, or the whole thing?

axewireframe2.jpgaxehighpoly2w.jpg
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neat axe, kind of Medieval looking.

My only critique is that unless you're planning a vastly different texture on both sides of the axe you might as well mirror as much of it's UVs as possible. That way you can get a higher pixel density in your texture.

Right now your getting fairly distorted UVs especially along the handle because you are trying to merge as much as possible. Splitting the handle UVs in half to mirror them will probably help you reduce that distortion.

You should also keep all of your bevel face UVs attached to one UV island, right now the axe head's bevels are split accross two different islands and that'll cause you pains when you get to texturing. It'll probably also cause weird lighting issues once it gets rendered in a game engine.

As for a more oval cross section, I think verybad meant the handle itself (the part you grab) not the axe head.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    axepaintoever.jpg like that i agree most all axes have oval handles,, grasping a square one would be uncomfortable. other than that looks pretty good
  • Rockman!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your advice!
    I made the handle more rounded, and got the model into unreal- I still need to darken up the blood, though.

axewireframe.jpg
    axetexturemap.jpg
    axeunrealscreen.jpg
    axeunreallight.jpg
  • Ro-Sham-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the look of your screen shot from unreal im not sure if you did this or not but when you import your textures don't forget you can set LODGroup to TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon and then you will loss very little texture res for when you want to take screen shots. Another trick is sometime set it to TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox which im not one hundred percent sure about but have been told it losses no quality.
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Beatifully constructed. Low poly model is perfect-
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im sure you can push this a bit further to reduce the polycount on the more flat area's!~
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah some of those chamfers are pretty much useless, with some shading you can replicate a smooth effect similar to those chamfers anyway.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Why did you give the bolts 4x as much uv space as they needed? I know sometimes its ok to do that for areas you want to push the detail in, but on this I cant see a need. Also, I agree on mirror UV's where possible. You could easily halve the uv space on this.
  • Rockman!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the help!!
    I'll try to use the uv space better - for the bolts, I wasn't sure how to get the shape right without all that geometry? Also, I'm not really sure what Asteric means by shading it to look like chamfers?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    odium wrote: »
    Why did you give the bolts 4x as much uv space as they needed? I know sometimes its ok to do that for areas you want to push the detail in, but on this I cant see a need. Also, I agree on mirror UV's where possible. You could easily halve the uv space on this.

i would also like to add that in alot of console engines this would add draw cost when not needed, keeping your texel density consistent helps majorly when dealing with pixel draw overheads,

also often just makes lower res stuff look worse in comparison a consistent lower res can look better than an an in-consitant but perhaps higher res
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Rockman! wrote: »
    Thank you for the help!!
    I'll try to use the uv space better - for the bolts, I wasn't sure how to get the shape right without all that geometry? Also, I'm not really sure what Asteric means by shading it to look like chamfers?

He means shading it on the diffuse I imagine, i.e. where your edges meet, usually you do little tricks, like scratches, or highlights, something to exagerate the edge more.

To be honest with you, I don't see a problem with the chamfers. However, I think its pointless to add such detail when the blade still has so few polygons you can see edges. Spend a few more on the end.

Also is this seen in third person, first person or a prop? That way we know if this is over or under detailed.