Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gas Mask!

Hi. Working on a gas mask this week. Here is the ref:

gasmask-m40-usmc-front-1.jpg

Here is the wireframe before turbosmooth and the highpoly:
GasMask_Wire.jpg
GasMask_Highpoly.jpg

I would love some feedback to help make it better!

Replies

• Fishspawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on my progress. Messed with the lowpoly so that it has a better silhouette, and unwrapped it.

Highpoly:
    GasMask_HighPoly-1.jpg
    Lowpoly:
    GasMask_Wire-1.jpg
    UV:
    GasMask_UVW.jpg
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    movento polycounter lvl 17
    I think you could cut a lot of poly's on the low poly,especially on the "nose" part. The UV needs some work to,the round parts don't look perfectly round on your uv and your straight edges dont looks straight on the uv.
    You also seem to be missing some details on your high poly model
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The actual model looks good, however, I'm not sure how closely you are trying to follow the reference, but I've never seen a gas mask with the snout like that. The reference you have is an olive drab us military issue mask, which i have a black version of, and the snout is not on it, the part in front of the mouth.nose is flat and the metal grill is indented a bit. Just my two cents about using accurate reference. (also is there a reason that that part is a seperate piece on the lowpoly? i would connect that together and then reduce the overall tris by alot)
  • Ro-Sham-Bo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My two cents is that the whole mask needs to be lengthened a bit, right now its kind of more or a box shape and needs to be longer and more rectangular to fit the face. You can see in the refrence you gave how much longer the mask is then yours. This is an easy fix, just add like and FFD modifier to the stack and pull it down a little bit.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think you could do those caps to the pipey things coming out with a plane, use an alpha and normal map for the bevel, that'd be a really cool sneaky way to do it, and i think it would be almost unoticeable
  • Asteric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice, but i have to agree with movento. You have some areas with a lot of loops that could be taken away with little or no effect on the model's appearance.
  • Fishspawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for all of the input everybody! I connected more of the pieces to the low poly and tried to reduce the tris a bit. I also messed with the overall shape to try and make it more accurate.

Here is the new wireframe:
    Lowpoly_Wireframe.jpg

Here is the lowpoly with the initial normal baking, going to have to patch up some areas...
    Lowpoly_Normals.jpg

Here is the new unwrap:
    LowPoly_UVW.jpg
  • Fishspawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After posting I realized I had lost a lot of the shape of the plastic around the bottom, so I remodeled that area. Here is a quick shot of it.
    LowPoly_Rework.jpg
  • Fishspawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some basic work on the color/spec/normal maps.

LowPoly_Color2.jpg

LowPoly_Color1.jpg

I would love some more feedback!
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    I loves me a good gas-mask, looking good! Can't you make the head-straps out of rubber though? The blue hessian just doesn't feel right! And are you going to be doing a dirt pass?
  • Fishspawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks berserk! I left the straps that way to keep a little variety in the materials, even though it didn't make quite as much sense. I did several more texture passes and put it in unreal~
    Here are some shots:
    GasMask_Unreal_1.jpgGasMask_Unreal3.jpgGasMask_Unreal2.jpg
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good, I still think you could reduce polys a lot, there's a good number of edge loops you dont need to define the shape. you should be able to cut it down even now when you have it already projected, just make sure you dont remove a seam edge.
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking good fishspawn, one crit i have is that the seam below the cylinder around the nose is quite visible and also the seam on the bottom cylinder is also quite visible, they could do with some tidying up....