Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment piece for portfolio [WIP]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
bloodmoon polycounter lvl 8
Hello.

I'm trying to make an indoor environment scene for my portfolio and now I ask for some crits on the wires and the models as whole.

I'm aiming for an worn down temple ruin or something similar primarly with stone materials.

Right now it's in the begining of blocking out parts but tips and tricks are welcome. Props are going to be added later on. (I'm using Maya)

render.jpg
preview render front

wire.jpg
Front wire

render_back.jpg
Render from inside the room up the stairs

wire_back.jpg

Stairs in a angle
angle.jpg

Angle wire
wire_angle.jpg

Replies

• verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    It's too early to give much feedback. The poly layout looks very messy, and Maya's booleans typically make problems later on, they're not a good way to model unless you're in a rush, and just making a concept model, you can always find a way to make the shape without them. You have a lot of extray polygons in the model, but as you said, it's a WIP. Are you working from a concept drawing?

The gorund plane is apparently associated with the walls, as it has lots what appear to be unnecessary polygons.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello thanks for the reply. I know its hard to give feedback but I thought that I might need some help before I get to far along ^_^. I have not used any booleans just polymodelling.

I know there are quite alot of extra polys. I was planing to add alot of more polys(smoothing) when I got the shape to the basic shape I'm going for. To be able to generate normals later on. Or is that a bad way to go?
    The floor is just placed there as a guide line at the moment its going to be alot less polys. (I added the floor just for the renders for the thread).

What about intersecting polys like the plate that makes the floor should it go inside the wall or just as close as possible? I trying to avoid cracks and empty space between walls and floor.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    Smoothing unevenly spaced polies can lead to issues in sculpting and normal generation. It's best to start with a nice clean base model, then work from there.

If the ground plane is a guide then it doesn't matter much as you said. As for intersecting or crossecting that's going to depend on the engine, lighting can be affected by vertice placement. eg light cracks in some engines. The poly placement will need to be even for texturing to look decent however. Especially generated textures like light maps, AO, and normals.

Just makes it easier in the end, Texturing is probably the more difficult part of making a model, having a good base for the texturing will always be good practice.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, been working on the scene a little bit and here the update. The parts are going to be worked in Zbrush later on when the basic is done so this is sort of a rough low-poly base.

update.jpg

update1_wire.jpg
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i think the key in your arch way should be bigger, dont like how the arch loses thickness at the top
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    i think the key in your arch way should be bigger, dont like how the arch loses thickness at the top

Your absolutly right about the arch piece. Gotta thincken that up. ^_^ Thanks
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you considered using modular walls for the building thing at the back? It would allow for alot of versatility. Not to mention you would have assets to create more buildings in the future if you so wish.
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiraz wrote: »
    Have you considered using modular walls for the building thing at the back? It would allow for alot of versatility. Not to mention you would have assets to create more buildings in the future if you so wish.

If your talking about the room/building in the back then yes I've thought about it and it's not gone from my thoughts yet. ^_^
    One thing thats not shown in the pics is the outer building the one that has the valve door it's simply a box at the moment and modular walls for that is also a thought.

Gotta start making modular pieces then hehe. ^_^
  • Bruno Afonseca
    I think you should think a bit more about what you're aiming for, that would give you a clearer path to follow and help us get on the same page as you. "Stone temple ruins" is too generic and you might end up with a pretty generic piece. You have mesoamerican, mediterranean, african, asian and more civilizations that made stone temples and they all have their unique traits and architecture style.
    I've seen a few of them and looking up close you notice that nothing in there is gratuitous. There's always a purpose and a religious motivation behind every little thing. Heck, even florida's "Coral Castle" can be considered a stone temple.
    Look at this one, for example:
    hGorF.jpg
    Look at the way they build walls, stacking rocks without mortar - That's meant to withstand earthquakes. It was built on platforms to help irrigation, since they raised crops on those fields. Also, the sun plays a great role in here - they designed the whole thing to make the most of it, they had sundials that could also tell whether it's the solstice or equinox, and they had stone bowls that were filled with water -So they could see the star's reflection on it from inside the temples.

I'm not telling you to make a replica of an existing temple, just to think a bit more about it. Where is it, who used to go there, what was its purpose, what kind of weather was it exposed to etc. Good environment artists tell stories with their environments!
  • bloodmoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the input. I'm trying to build one room more or less. I'm not really aiming for a large scale piece just a smaller one to start with since I'm kinda new to 3D (self studies for a year in my sparetime).
    I'd love to make a large aztec environment but that's not my goal now. ^_^

I know I have alot more to build in the scen and some rebuilds too to make the room tell more of a story. Thank you again for your input it's very appriciated.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fonfa was trying to get you thinking about the construction methods used, how they lived and why they built things the way they do. Those things should effect your scene. I don't think Fonfa was trying to get you to expand the scene but work on you're critical eye and planning skills.

Really dig into what makes your environment tick so you're not building with polygons and textures but with rocks, dirt and things available to the people who would have actually built your environment. In order for you to pull this off, you need to live in your scene. Constantly think how would people with the tools they had, make these structures?

So far we have no idea who these people are, what the materials where, what tools they had available to them and how this was all built, not to mention when and for how long its been neglected.

Temple. Ok what kind? Where? How old? Built by who? With what?

Personally there is nothing more important to an environment artist than critical eye skills.

BloodMoonTemple.jpg
    1) Constructed how?
    Columns where typically built in segments and stacked on top of each other, not one solid carved piece. Typically when they fall apart those pieces separate. Even pillars that look solid are typically stacked and then covered in some kind of plaster. Instead of making a cylinder and deforming it look like a pillar, make a pillar.

2) Weird break?
    This seems kind of odd given the construction method. Also as stone wears down it rounds out and looses its sharp edges. It's an odd place for a structural failure?

3) Stacked stones?
    How and why was this made, what was it supporting? If its stacked stones the lines are straight and sharp. Right now it looks like newly poured concrete. No one but you is going to see the wireframe lines, make sure the details come through when wires are turned off.

4) Roots and disturbed earth?
    The tree doesn't really seem to have been there all that long, its roots haven't broken the planter box even though there would be significant distributions around the base. Also ground tiles that thin would have cracked and broken when the ground became uneven. The ground was made uneven independently from the other objects in the scene. What about the weight of the pillars on the ground tiles, what about the tree roots?

5) Pillars held up what?

Where is this debris? Where is the damage from when it came down? Was it carefully removed? Is it just not constructed yet? Or did you think no one would care?

6) How was this constructed?
    The construction method doesn't seem to jive, you have columns that probably supported a roof in the courtyard but the building is constructed how? Columns? Stacked stone? Poured concrete? How is the roof supported? Why is it intact?

A lot of these questions are about the materials used and the lack of evidence of their use in the scene. These aren't things you'll ZBrush in later these are things that need to be built into even the most basic of block outs.

If you're coming up with back story and construction methods now as you're answering some of these questions, you're putting the cart before the horse. Those questions should be answered up front and they should help guide you as you're buildings your scene. The scene builds itself at that point and you're just a caretaker.