Home General Discussion

need help buying monitor(s)

Hi I really need some help buying a new monitors.
I want a dual setup for 3d/2d animation, graphic work, modelling, modding etc and also playing games and watching movies with my special lady friend.

I was thinking of buying 2 24-26" monitors for aound £200 each but I then found out they are TN panel monitors which is meant to be very bad for artists, are they.

Or can anyone recommend reasonabley priced non TN monitors, I have a budget of up to £500 for 2 monitors.

Cheers
Steve

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    22 inch 2 pack :D

Dell S2209X2 22" Monitors (2 Pack) $278.50
    Free Shipping After Coupon at Dell_home Dell Home posted about 4 hours ago

http://www.dealcatcher.com/monitors/dell-s2209x2-22-monitors-2-pack
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Dekard wrote: »
    22 inch 2 pack :D

Dell S2209X2 22" Monitors (2 Pack) $278.50
    Free Shipping After Coupon at Dell_home Dell Home posted about 4 hours ago

http://www.dealcatcher.com/monitors/dell-s2209x2-22-monitors-2-pack

If you find a deal better than that, I'll buy it for you....
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    too bad those are cheap TN panels as well =)

I've got a Dell 2408wfp which is fantastically good. Quality panel etc. Be careful when looking at this stuff, because the Dell 2409wfp is actually a TN panel....

As far as TN goes, what you should do is go into a store that sells monitors, chances are 99% of them will be TN panels, if these do not really bother you(check viewing angles, bob up and down etc) then you may be perfectly happy with a TN panel. I know a lot of guys here use them and dont really have issues, i cant stand them personally.
  • 3dSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi wow that is a great deal, i have 2 wee set backs.
    1. they are TN panel monitors, not sure if thats a major problem or not for digital artists.
    2. im in UK, dont think that DELL store would ship here.

I really admire your deal sloothing skills though, good job.

is there any sites like that deal catcher for UK stores.

cheers
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing deal, too bad there not available here.

Really need a second monitor, my Samsug 244T is still serving me well considering i paid £700 a few years ago.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TN Panels? What are those?

EDIT: nvm, god bless Wikipedia.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    no reviews yet, but viewsonic just released the vp2365wb. It's a 23in IPS for $300.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/pro-series/vp2365wb.htm
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Thegodzero wrote: »
    no reviews yet, but viewsonic just released the vp2365wb. It's a 23in IPS for $300.

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktop-monitors/lcd/pro-series/vp2365wb.htm

Here's the best price I could find with shipping, on google shopping

http://www.provantage.com/viewsonic-vp2365wb~7OPTL03H.htm
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    There was a great deal going on with the Dell 2209WA not too long ago, not sure if their still cheap but I got one from OCUK for around £190, and this is a 22" e-IPS Panel.
  • ZacD
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I just jumped on that deal from dell. I`ve been in the market for some dell 22-inchers for a bit now, and that seemed like something not to pass up on.

also, for the record, after tax, the grand total bills out to 293.82 little more that I was hoping for, but still a killer deal.

EQ- what bugs you so much about the TN panels? the only time I hate them is when you have a handfull of people standing around you, critiquing subtle lighting work, or texture work, and depending on where people are standing, everyone sees something different. - so to solve the problem, everyone has to mash their heads in as close as possible, making personnel space a scarce commodity >_<

For home use, however, its all bueno-
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »

dell is actually telling you which panels are in they're monitors now, which is awesome. That one is IPS = good.

I dont really like 22"s as its the same res but just larger as a 20" = big pixels lol
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    EQ that or they are over dense and are 1920x1080...

24in 16x10/9 @ 1920x1200/1080 is a great pixel scale. Its very close to a 16in 5x4 at 1024x768.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    I'm also looking to pick up a new monitor and I have a question. Currently I have an LG 20" 1680x1050 16:10, probably TN panel monitor. Now I want to get a larger monitor, probably 24" 16:9 1920x1080.

My question is, should I bother with two different size, different aspect ratio monitors or would it be too weird? Does anyone have a setup with two uniquely sized monitors? Should I just buy another 20" and have matching? Any insight into this would be welcome.
  • Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    Frump wrote: »
    My question is, should I bother with two different size, different aspect ratio monitors or would it be too weird? Does anyone have a setup with two uniquely sized monitors? Should I just buy another 20" and have matching? Any insight into this would be welcome.

I have a 22" widescreen and a regular 19", their resolution heights are roughly the same (1050 and 1024) so its not that weird, but I think it might be weird if the difference in their heights were larger.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    I've been keeping an eye on Dell's Ultrasharp 2410. I'm just waiting for the price to drop below $500. They sold for $479.99 when they first shipped then shot up to $599 and have been hovering around there since. Anyone got one of these yet? The reviews have been really good for them. I've been waiting for this monitor ever since I figured the Ultrasharp2408WFP was getting a 2009 update...so I waited for over a year. My wife even got me a picture of the monitor as a xmas gift because I was sure it was going to go on sale in the Xmas of '08.
    Boy was I wrong:P
    B
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Dyou guys really like widescreen stuff? A 1024x1024 won't even fit on them :P

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-4687

Just realized that my baby just got a 05 revision with that new panel all the kids are talking about. I've had the 02 for years, first as main and now as secondary, and love it.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    My CRT died some months ago, and i ended buying a LED monitor, the LG w2486L for 280 euro (with shipment, Pixmania). Although is TN, it's enough good to all the tasks i do. I have been working with pva and ips monitors (eizo, nec, etc.) and there aren't too many differences with this TN LED, angles and colors as much. Its contrast is far better than the contrast offered by IPS monitors like the Dell U2410, with that fucking glow effect that makes me crazy (they didn't put the filter like in some NECs). I was going to buy that Dell, but it had too many problems, the worst, a terrible dithering noise in the SRGB mode (the ideal color mode to work with). The other color modes are oversaturated and i really hate wide gamut monitors, reds are explosive.

My new monitor is 16:9, widescreen, and i love it. It does not produce so much heat (it consumes ~28W), and it's great being TN. I was surprised when i saw it in Media Markt (this is a TN? i asked myself), The Led backlight helps a lot. Its side angles are also great. Cheap, good and LED. For the price of the Dell U2410, i could get 2 units.

If you are going to buy a monitor, better to see it in a shop, you must like it!. Don't trust all the reviews of the internet, because they are not objetive (some reviews are like paid), plus they don't care about the different versions/revisions. My LG has the 1.3 version and the colors are very natural, i didn't need to calibrate de monitor.

Don't know if the Dell U2410 has solved all the problems with a new revision, but if you aren't worried about wide gamut monitor, it's an option. there aren't too many options in the market, though. BTW, there are rumors about a Dell 27" LED IPS monitor, maybe smoke.

About aspect ratio, i was customed to work at 1600x1200, so i have noticed a loss with the new resolution 1920x1080, those 120 pixels (height) are missed a lot. For games is great, but for work, 1920x1200 (16:10) would have been better. Anyways, manufactures won't be selling 16:10 anymore, and all we can find is old, bad and not so cheap. If you go for pro monitors you can find them, but the prices are very very expensive.

Ahh, a 1024x1024 pic does not fit in photoshop with my LG, but it's not a problem if you don't custom to work at 1:1 (i don't do that).

cheers
  • Archania
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Speaking of monitors - I keep hearing that you need to calibrate them. Is there a program besides the one from the company that can help you with that?
    Or what do you do? I mean do you just plug it in and go? or calibrate it using the manufacture software or 3rd party?
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Something like this worked great for me:
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    im using an acer 233 hbd
    its cheap and does the job (although TN it doesnt fuckup the colors when viewed from the side)
    (a 1024² texture doent fit on a 19" 1280x1024 too)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup 1600x1200 for the win. I think that's one very important factor to keep in mind when buying.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I'm running a Samsung P2370 23" at 1080p works great for me though it is a TN pannel. For home use though and gaming its awesome. Cost me $320 though but thats what you get for living in Europe :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proportionally i like the widescreen a bit better, it has a good feel for modeling apps(plenty of side space for toolbars etc, tho i guess with a 4:3 you get the same pixels width wise, just more top-bottom. I would be interested to see the ... dot-pitch or whatever difference with a 24 wide and 24 4:3, something tells me the 4:3 would have slightly smaller pixels too? Which isn't a bad thing at all imo.

When i switched from a 20" CRT to a 20" LCD it was a bit wierd, losing that extra space, but now i'm on a 24" and i dont really have space issues with it.

I think a big factor with the wide vs 4:3 thing is that barely any companies even make 4:3 lcds anymore, and you have to pay more to get them. Even worse yet, 16:9 1080P "True HD" monitors seem to becoming more and more of a standard, which is even less res than a standard widescreen LCD. I'm running 1920x1200, "True HD"is 1920x1080, what is a 4:3 24"? Like 1920x1400 or something?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    1920x1440 yeah but they don't make them. I was looking for a 4:3 for like 6 months but came up with a big fat goose egg. The biggest I found was 20" and it had a horrible pannel and 16ms response time. No good for gaming or movies. LCDs are pretty much aimed at 16:9 these days.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    16:10 does the job too, you still got your 1200 height and your 1024 textures fit in there

you could also aim for a 21x9 monitor with a height of at least 1200 pixel, and its almost like 2 monitors(5/4 *2 = 10/4 = 21/8,4)

you could also put 3 16/9 monitors together upwards(and without border) would make you a fine 27/16 = 16/9,281period
    monitor
  • 3dSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,

i was looking into the dell ultrasharp 2709 but I then heard about input lag which worries me. I want a big monitor for screen realistate - modelling, texturing, animation and gaming, watching tv/movies.

also there are revisions the A00 A01 and A02.

Is there much lag on these. can anyone recommend a monitor based on my "wants".

Are the TN panels rubbish as a tv i.e. watching from 1-3 meters away.

cheers
  • 3dSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi can you guys recommend or tell me what monitors you are using. I want one the is 27-28" good with games and watching movies (1-3 meters awayfrom screen).

Doesnt need to be top of the line image qualty but good enough for modelling and texturing. As I said, was dead set on the dell ultrasharp 27", found refurbished ones on ebay for about £400 but the input lag has really scared me off from getting it.

let me know what you guys use, cos I've been looking for weeks and dont know which is best for me and need a new monitor asap

cheers
    Steve
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I use a Dell 2209WA at work, and just picked one up for home.

It's a great monitor.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dSteve wrote: »
    Hi can you guys recommend or tell me what monitors you are using. I want one the is 27-28" good with games and watching movies (1-3 meters awayfrom screen).

Doesnt need to be top of the line image qualty but good enough for modelling and texturing. As I said, was dead set on the dell ultrasharp 27", found refurbished ones on ebay for about £400 but the input lag has really scared me off from getting it.

let me know what you guys use, cos I've been looking for weeks and dont know which is best for me and need a new monitor asap

cheers
    Steve

i've got a dell 2408wfp, people said there were input lag problems but i've never noticed it, watch moves, play games etc with no problem.
  • kypo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kypo polycounter lvl 17
    hey, i'm at a similar point where i need to get a new screen to do some work on but to mainly game and watch movies on. i'm currently using a Samsung LE26R41BDX:

LE26R41BDX_rev.jpg

which is fine for games and movies but horrible for doing any thing graphics related due to the 1,366 x 768 res. i was going to get the dell 2709w as its alittle bigger than the samsung and not to pricey but i'm finding it hard to justify getting the £550 dell 2709w over a 32" Samsung LCD (Samsung LE32B550) which runs at a similar resolution (1920 x 1080) to dells 19:10 resolution 1920 X 1200.

Is there something that i'm missing that should be steering me more towards a monitor like the dell 2709w over a LCD tv?

cheers