Home General Discussion

L4D2 SDK to feature more options for modders.

Andreas
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Andreas polycounter lvl 11
Apologies if that has been covered before.

http://kotaku.com/5420941/get-ready-for-even-freakier-l4d2-mods

I would prefer a confirmation from Valve rather than Kotaku/l4dmods but its good news if its true. :)

Replies

• xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    weapon? ok zombie with guns. can?

i love mod-able co-op games :)!
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    1. Replace Zombie horde with Orc horde
    2. Replace specials with Ogres, Trolls, Goblins, etc.
    3. Replace weapons with crossbow, bow, staff, swords, hammer, mace
    4. Replace survivors with Dwarf, Elf Chick, Barbarian, Goth Chick
    5. Make awesome dungeons
    6. Profit

Who is with me?
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    so you have 3 fantasy characters and some chick who goes to hot topic?
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, ok. Here come the critics. "Goth" is maybe the wrong choice of words. Rogue, leather and robes, dressed in black, brooding personality, that type of shit.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An LOTR mod would be EPIC!! :D Mines of Moria mothafucka!
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I'm gonna change it up so you're in Willy Wonka's factory and Umpa Lumpa's attack.....
  • Paul Pepera
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    doc rob wrote: »
    5. Make awesome dungeons
    6. Profit

Who is with me?

It would be awesome. Did you play DnD: Shadow over Mystara? It's an arcade DnD game. I was dreaming about a mod like that actually since the first L4D :D
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesus thats the creepiest thing I've ever seen Eraserhead.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Teletubbies! That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!11!!1!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    - Different weapons (Steyr AUG ohplzgod!)
    - ability to play as common infected when waiting for respawn
    - some kind of command system for the bots so they're a little less retarded
    - flag dead zombie bodies so you can keep gibbing them (I seriously hope someone does this, soon)
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    This may be the perfect opportunity for my hooligan mod idea.

"Survivors" are four football (soccer) referees, dressed appropriately.

"Zombies" are football fan hooligans, and shout things like "Get those bastards in the black"

"Witches" are WAGS crying about being dumped by their boyfriends

You get the idea.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    The one and only mod I would love to create or see made!

-Playable Midnight Riders!!!!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    kaburan wrote: »
    The one and only mod I would love to create or see made!

-Playable Midnight Riders!!!!

There's rumors around that Valve is gonna make that a DLC for L4D2. :poly142:
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    5. Make awesome dungeons
    6. Profit

Who is with me?

FPS Diablo - yes!
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually thought a mod about TMNT or X-men (or some superhero group) would be neat, similar to the one doc rob had. Foot Soldiers/Humans you must fight off, the boss infected would be like Rock Steady and Bebop or the Brotherhood mutants. Finales would be setup similar to boss fights in old sidescrolling beat'em ups where whoever is controlling the boss infected had set places where they could spawn more minions unless the super heroes could defend them and take their health down in the process. Basically to replicated the patterns a Boss in a sidescroller would make.

The AI director really leaves up a lot of ideas for anything. I cool biological game on a celluar level would be sweet too.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    oh, ok. Here come the critics. "Goth" is maybe the wrong choice of words. Rogue, leather and robes, dressed in black, brooding personality, that type of shit.

Sorry, was morning stoned. Couldn't resist the comment. Goth makes me think of hot topic failures.
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was thinking of a space mod. Cliche, but who cares? If there's space in it, I'm in.

1. Play as 4 space marines in suits.
    2. Guns are some futuristic whatchamacallits.
    3. Common infected are some crawling aliens.
    4. ????
    5. profit

rings a whole world of new settings like derelict spacecrafts, abandoned planetary stations, alien planets as well - you name it.

I have been longing to make a space map for L4D for quite a while now, set it an Earth-orbiting station, a Titanic of sorts with everything you want. It would serve as a prelude to the outbreak of infection of sorts.

The biggest problem is time. Something new like that would require a shitton of new art and the map itself would take a lot of time to make. In addition, it would be hard to fit it all since the 4 characters couldn't have known each other prior to the first map.
  • sicsided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcool wrote: »
    I was thinking of a space mod. Cliche, but who cares? If there's space in it, I'm in.

4. ????
    5. profit

rings a whole world of new settings like derelict spacecrafts, abandoned planetary stations, alien planets as well - you name it.

I have been longing to make a space map for L4D for quite a while now, set it an Earth-orbiting station, a Titanic of sorts with everything you want. It would serve as a prelude to the outbreak of infection of sorts.

The biggest problem is time. Something new like that would require a shitton of new art and the map itself would take a lot of time to make. In addition, it would be hard to fit it all since the 4 characters couldn't have known each other prior to the first map.

Alien Swarm mod for Ut2004 was very similar to that but a top down view. You had a team/ coop of 4 people, alien infestation at space outposts/ships, and you could weld doors shut during 'horde' rushes. They were transfering the mod to Source, in 2007 but then they disappeared. Wonder how many possibly worked on L4D.
    http://www.blackcatgames.com/swarm/

Would love to see a in orbit from earth map though, be interesting for sure.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    5. Make awesome dungeons
    6. Profit

Who is with me?
    I can't argue with the logic and I think it would be super succesful but I'd sooner throw myself off a cliff than contribute to yet another generic LOTR fantasy game. I think I threw up a bit in my mouth just thinking about it. Surely someone on this planet can come up with an alternative to orcs, yes?

Heck, if would be more original if it really was a goth game, and that's just pathetic.
  • divi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    divi polycounter lvl 12
    vcool wrote: »

4. ????
    5. profit

sounds like space hulk :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Hulk
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'm putting this out here now so I don't forget.

I have a couple of very close, professional, level designer friends who would gladly do a mod with me. What if.. thats... WHAT IF... we, as a community, were to do a mod for L4D2? I'd put in the time to organize it, etc. etc. We (meaning myself and whomever else helps ORGANIZE) would have to come up with a solid design that would be of interest to you guys, as artists. The couple designers I know would come on board to work in Source (they're Source engine pro's) to build the levels.

We would, of course, need some quality control so we're not getting everyone and their mothers on Polycount submitting artwork.

Anyway, just a thought that I will think more in to during the holidays.
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc wrote: »
    I can't argue with the logic and I think it would be super succesful but I'd sooner throw myself off a cliff than contribute to yet another generic LOTR fantasy game. I think I threw up a bit in my mouth just thinking about it. Surely someone on this planet can come up with an alternative to orcs, yes?

Heck, if would be more original if it really was a goth game, and that's just pathetic.

Sorry, I thought it would go without saying that we would try to not make it crappy. Saying orcs are generic is like saying zombies are generic. . . of course it all depends on the execution.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Adam, that's a good idea! Even building a campaign with new props/textures would be an awesome experience for people like me. I'd love to take part if I can get over the quality bar :)
  • psychoticprankster
    how about a mod with shootable munchkins ? and flying monkeys ? lol

Ok how about a mod in an old gothic city with 1 or 2 campaigns.

Campaign number 1

you have to travel to an old Cathedral to ring its bell to alert the people in the second campaign that it is time to go find the portal the horrible creatures came out of, to close it because it can only be closed at a
    certain time (pretty much when you get to the cathedral and ring the bell)
    To get to the cathdral You have to travel through

dark city streets and city street roof tops.

A creepy old grave yard full of twists and turns and hiding places for the enemy to ambush you from.
    (enemy type: Zombies)

After the grave yard you have to go down into catacombs which are sort of layed out like a maze.
    (enemy type: Skelatons)

Then a cathedral, and in the cathedral you have to find the bell tower and climb to the top.
    (enemy type: Gargyles)

Campaign number 2

You have to get to the portal.

You start in a park and have to work your way to an old canal and then a train station and follow some tracks, eventualy
    you have to walk through a forest to an old corn field to shut the portal.

The weapons could be:

swords
    cross bows
    muskets
    cannonball shaped grenades with fuses.

The city I have in mind is Paris and between acts, You have to go down into sewers which act as safe rooms

Ok Adam i've thrown an idea in the pot.
    I am anxiously awaiting to see everyone elses ideas.
  • psychoticprankster
    I acidently double posted, sorry about that.
  • Rojo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam, I'm interested in helping to organize a community mod.

I'm unemployed and work on my portfolio eight hours a day, I would prefer focusing that energy into a mod. If we had level designers doing rapid prototyping I would like to help with the environment art.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The semester is ending for me and I'm off till January 20th, I could do extra props and what not
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    Id love to be a part of this, I think a while back this idea was toyed with but it fizzled out. The sheer amount of talent here though means potentially this could be really amazing
  • vcool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds like an excellent idea, but in my experience, "community mods" tend to die out. Lots of people want to contribute, few end up doing something, no one puts it all together.

Perhaps this will have more success as this community is more professional, but I am just saying.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    well there has to a leader working on getting it done, otherwise everything would fail.
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    I would love to work on something like that! Sounds like a ton of fun.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could animate on it, where it needed.

Twould be cool to see some of the art on here in a working game, 'stead of just t-poses.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Since the bile in the game is green, why not reveal the greentooth as the root cause of the infection? :D
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    haha wouldn't that make us the bad guys :P
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you guys are really interested, I'd love to have some motivated people on the team of our L4D mod. We're on hold because L4D2 is more awesome and like the topic suggests, there are more possibilities, so we will possibly rethink what we have so far. So we have time to make plans before the SDK is out.

Here is some work I did a few months ago: http://jeroendessaux.be/detailsl4dcampaign.php

So seriously, I'd be happy to have some of you guys in the team, think of concepts/storylines, and than just make it!
    I'd just like to say that this stuff really takes time and well... source isn't unreal 3 engine. But you probably know that :p

We need concept artists, character artists, animators, FX ppl for explosions, level artists, prop modelers.... SOUND GUYS!

Also who of you thought that hard rain was amazingly intense?
  • Andreas
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam wrote: »
    I'm putting this out here now so I don't forget.

I have a couple of very close, professional, level designer friends who would gladly do a mod with me. What if.. thats... WHAT IF... we, as a community, were to do a mod for L4D2? I'd put in the time to organize it, etc. etc. We (meaning myself and whomever else helps ORGANIZE) would have to come up with a solid design that would be of interest to you guys, as artists. The couple designers I know would come on board to work in Source (they're Source engine pro's) to build the levels.

We would, of course, need some quality control so we're not getting everyone and their mothers on Polycount submitting artwork.

Anyway, just a thought that I will think more in to during the holidays.

Love that idea. How would you go about deciding who is qualified to submit simple props? As an aspiring environment artist, that could be great practice if I made the cut.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I'd be willing to help out with laying out levels in hammer, general story/level planning or texturing. Seems like a great experience. Either way I have a scavenge to work on.

Also, the SDK was released today. Download it and the L4D2 Add-On Support under the Tools section of Steam.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    how about making an immune system mod
    you play 4 immune cells zombies are virus, witches are spleeping infections und survivors are blood cells
    everything insinde of weird veines
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Actually the other day I had a cool idea for a DS game that would have been called "Zombies vs Vikings" because IMHO we just don't see enough Viking based games these days...

Plus who wouldn't love a Tank re-modelled as an 8 foot tall zomvie Viking clad in armour...?
  • Snipergen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New York based campaign with 4 new survivors would be sweet... Anyways adam I'd like to know more about your plans too!
  • Philly13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sounds interesting :D I was wondering the other day is there anyway to view character rigs/animations from the game to better understand how to create custom ones? I've actually got both L4D's on the xbox but wouldn't mind picking up a PC version for working on mod stuff.
  • |Buddy|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |Buddy| polycounter lvl 11
    If you guys havent noticed there is no customization features in this sdk as opposed to what was reported by kotaku. There is a number of improvements that will be usefull though.

edit:
    however according to this i'm wrong:
    http://www.l4dmods.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=294:l4d2-sdk-content-revealed-custom-models-a-reality&catid=2:news&Itemid=13

but here are the contents of the 'addon campaign' that comes with sdk:
    // The addoninfo.txt file is a metadata file that is required by all Source Engine Add-ons.

"AddonInfo"
    {
         addonSteamAppID         550                                                     // 500 is the app ID for Left 4 Dead, 550 for Left 4 Dead 2
         addontitle              "Dead Line 2"                                           // Add-on title that shows up in Add-ons list. ~20 chars max
         addonversion         1.0                                                     // Add-on version.
         addontagline            "Catch the last subway... out of hell... Again!"         // Add-on tagline or wrap-up- a short description. ~100 chars max
         addonauthor             "Valve"                                                 // Name/alias of the author
         addonSteamGroupName     "deadline2add-on"                                       // (Optional) Steam group related to the add-on. We use this to construct a URL to the group page.
         addonauthorSteamID      "YasserMalaika"                                         // (Optional) Steam ID of author. We use this to construct a URL to the author's page.
         addonContent_Campaign   1                                                          //This addon provides muliple connected maps with a finale
         addonURL0               "http://media.steampowered.com/apps/513/deadline2.html" //An html home page for the add-on that includes a download link.

// short description that appears in the Add-on list screen...
         addonDescription        "Survivors must escape on a subway train in this short tutorial example campaign. Get source files and tools for creating your own campaigns by downloading the Left 4 Dead 2 Authoring tools SDK, which is available under the 'Tools' tab in Steam."

+valve hasnt mentioned anything about it in the news and i'm sure they would.