Home General Discussion

So, Force Unleashed...

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
odium polycounter lvl 18
One of my fave games on 360, seriously under rated and damn what FUN (Apart from having to re-earn all my powers AGAIN just to beat the game at hardest). Seriously, amazing game and I give props to the devs.

The console devs, I mean.

Because the PC devs must be the most talentless group of coders I've ever encountered... Seriously, what is going on...? I've been installing the game now for the last 10mins, and not even got to disk 2 yet... Yes, it fills up two disks. Not partial, the full thing. Might have something to do with the install being 20gig... WHAT?!

Also, I hear performance is terrible, and that the bare minimum is most games suggested spec...

Christ, whoever this team is, never let them do a port again... EVAR...

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hah, I was amazed to read such a positive post from you, but you brought it back on track in the end, wp
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Oh shush :p Force Unleashed IS a damn good game. A lot of people slated it in fact.

But the PC port is... Meh...
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    emphasis on the word "port" and there you have it :)

no matter how talented you are, if you get a limited time to get something done, then you get it done, even if there's some "port-artifacts"
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I guess thats the annoying part... The game released what, a year ago, on 360/ps3? Theres no real reason that it should be this bad, although I've never heard of the guys (Aspyr) that did the port, so tha cant be a good sign...
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    naw I know it really sucks when a port messes up your enjoyment of a game, especially when it feels rushed and lazy. probably the publisher's fault though with an unreasonable timeframe. look how long it takes them to port GTA to pc

edit: nothing to say they've been working on it since it came out tho :). if they did- crikey. if not- evil publisher
  • Philly13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My copy on the 360 had some major bugs - at one point when fighting Vader, he vanished and reappeared in mid air, laughing over and over again as if mocking my inability to reach him, cheeky sith git
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    odium wrote: »
    Theres no real reason that it should be this bad, although I've never heard of the guys (Aspyr) that did the port, so tha cant be a good sign...

Aspyr brought Halo and CoD4to the Mac, and I think they published Dark Sector as well.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I got this for the 360 the xmas it came out and my god it was great. Should have gotten much better reviews. Easily the best Star Wars game I ever played and you actually felt like a bad ass with crazy force powers.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Apart from the Star Destroyer bit. that part nearly made me snap the sticks off... And thats not something you do unless you have monkey hands...
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm confused why porting to pc isnt super easy and quick, as every one of these games is made on a pc, and at some point tested on one.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With a PC you have different hardware, different OS versions with different service packs, different drivers at various stages, different apps running in the background. It's just a endless bag of what-if hardware/software conflicts.

With a console if it runs really well on one 360 chances are it runs great on others.

Typically there are two specs on a PC box, Min Spec & Recommended Spec.
    The min will get the game running like a legless fat kid. The rec-spec will get it running at min-med settings. As a general rule of thumb double the rec to actually enjoy the game. Or Treat the Rec-Spec like you would the min.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I'm no programmer but isn't there a big difference between the 360's processor, an IBM PPC, and the x86 processor PC's use? Basically like porting a pre-Intel mac game over to the PC?
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Above average SW game. It was short and not too long which kept it moving along nicely tho. Levels got to be a bit of a grind, same with the boss battles.. You were supposed to "Level up" with force powers but it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Dialoge was decent. Played through it once and never looked at it again.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I played 2 levels and quit :/ Jedi Academy and Jedi Knight 2 were way cooler.
    Maybe I'll try again, the pure awesomeness of Burnout Revenge was beckoning me at the same time, perhaps paling Force Unleashed in comparision.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah i didnt like it much at first, but it's a lot of fun now destroying troopers. The 1.01 patch supposedly fixes some performance issues, altho the fps is still locked to 30.

What's the deal with .bik movies anyway? why the hell cant we have divx compressed cutscenes instead of 8 GB of ginormous bink fmv?
  • Adris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of my favorite PSP games.

PC port is poopy.

Never played 360/PS3 versions.

Doesn't touch Jedi Academy on it's best day.
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    The Force Unleashed is only the second XBox360 game I've completed all the achievements for (excepting the DLC). Sith Master difficulty was at time like bashing my head against a brick wall (Kazdan Pratus fight).
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've had the game sitting on my shelves for over a year and finally got a chance to play it not too long ago. I have to say that I too am really enjoying it. Still need to find some more time to get through it though.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Xoliul wrote: »
    I played 2 levels and quit :/ Jedi Academy and Jedi Knight 2 were way cooler.
    Maybe I'll try again, the pure awesomeness of Burnout Revenge was beckoning me at the same time, perhaps paling Force Unleashed in comparision.

There are some way cool levels later on, but yeah...it never comes close to Jedi Academy.
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Almost threw a chair through the window and lit my controller on fire towards the end of the game. Sent that sucker back to gamefly after that...

Why didn't the designers consider placing more save points after a wave of enemies? Basically, they should have gone forward in time, played Arkham Asylum, then gone back and finished making the game :)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    So the next star wars game will just be a next gen version of Jedi Academy with even better multiplayer, right?
    Right?
  • TheMadArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMadArtist polycounter lvl 12
    I never understood why it got mediocre to low scores. I thought it was a great game. It wasn't perfect, but the positives far outweighed the negatives.

That Star Destroyer bit was the only time I came close to putting my foot through the tv, but I found if you just jump and force lightning the Ties, and then ignore the onscreen prompts when it comes to the point where you pull it down and just do it yourself it's actually easier.
  • Darth Tomi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darth Tomi polycounter lvl 12
    Outcast was awesome. Jedi Academy didn't have much of a plot but at least the levels had some variety to them (on a speeder bike like a racing game, shooting stormtroopers, lightsabre battle against Dark Jedi, etc.) Not as repetitive and I still liked it better than Force unleashed tho.